FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

Hello folks!

Today marks the release of FreeMeshX Global for FSX, FSX:SE, and P3D by Nine-Two Productions. FreeMeshX is a global terrain mesh replacement for the stock terrain mesh and features LOD10 (38-m) coverage for almost the entire world. LOD10 is equal to the same terrain level of detail used for the USA in the stock scenery. The rest of the world varies from LOD6 to LOD9. FreeMeshX was created to bring the rest of the world up to the LOD10 standard as much as possible, although some regions of the world in the higher latitudes are still limited to LOD9 (76-m).

The motivation for this project started from the lack of a comprehensive global terrain mesh replacement that did not involve forking over hard earned cash. FS Global 2010 is a great project, but it costs well over 50 USD and uses mainly older SRTM2 90-m downscaled to 78-m resolution. FSGenesis has a 20 USD global terrain mesh, but like FS Global 2010, it uses mainly older SRTM2 90-m data downscaled to LOD9.

Towards the end of 2014, NASA began to release newer, upgraded terrain data for regions outside of the USA that was higher in resolution and also void-filled. This SRTM 3.0 data is identical to the quality of the USA SRTM data that is available at 1-arcsecond resolution (30-m). Unlike proprietary terrain data, such as NextMap, SRTM data has always been open and free, so nothing prohibited us to start downloading the data and compiling it for FS use.

Preview photo album: http://imgur.com/a/XJtBU#0

FreeMeshX features LOD10 (38-m resolution) coverage for:

• North America (LOD10 Canada is released in this mesh - default USA is already LOD10, so USA is not included for the base release. A LOD11 USA mesh is in the works)
  • South and Central America
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Africa
  • Australia and Oceania

A few regions are limited to LOD9 (76-m resolution):

• Antarctica
  • Greenland
  • Russian territories north of 60 N latitude

FreeMeshX was compiled using over 400 GB of raw terrain data. The final size of the product is 42 GB, making it one of the largest freeware projects ever for FS. It wouldn't be in everyone's best interests to download all 42 GB at once, so we are releasing the product the product into continental regions for a total of 7 downloads total. Each continent contains a number of 10 deg x 10 deg titles, mosaiced from 1 deg x 1 deg tiles into a 2.5 GB file, and then compressed into a BGL file. Defragmentation is highly recommended for mechanical hard drives to ensure smooth and quick loading.

Largest improvements:

Biggest improvements are found in regions that contain mainly LOD6 and LOD7 meshes. Mainly remote regions of Africa, South America, Antarctica, and Asia. Europe sees some improvement, but it's LOD9 mesh is just a one level upgrade to LOD10. Some improvements will be found in the accuracy of the mesh and level of detail in mountain ranges, such as Suilven in Scotland pictured below.

Distribution:

Distribution over the net is a challenge. With this much data, how do we move it? Well, bit torrent was built to move large amounts of data through P2P. We'll be employing this solution as the primary distribution method, but we will also be using MediaFire links as well for those who can't use bitTorrent due to ISP throttling or blocking. Please seed! With as many people as possible seeding, download speeds will be excellent for all users. We rented out a seedbox with a 10 Gbps upload speed just for this purpose!

Future expansions:

FreeMeshX Global 1.0 is just the beginning. FreeMeshX is planned to be a moving release, and evolve in time. Subsequent expansions will include a higher detailed mesh for the USA using NED data. Popular mountain ranges will also be added in higher detail, such as the Alps and Himalayas. These expansions will remain free.

Airport plateaus:

Every terrain mesh is affected by airports on plateaus. This is due to FSX making every airport flat, and then giving the airport file an elevation to place it along the default terrain. If the default terrain is not correct, which is often the case, and a more accurate mesh is installed that differs significantly from default terrain, then the airport will be found in a pit or plateau.

The only way to circumvent the problem of plateaus are (in preferential order):

• Manually blend in each default airport by hand with the new mesh (not going to happen)
  • Code a tool to flatten meshes around airports (inconvenient)
  • Provide updated airport elevation corrections (inconvenient)

None of these solutions will be offered by Nine-Two Productions, mainly because we lack the skillset or means of developing them at this time. What we recommend is using existing 3rd party solutions such as Pilot's Airport Flattening Meshes or ORBX FTX Vector airport elevation corrections. We recommend the ORBX solution because you get more for your buck than just generic flattening meshes. Both of them are linked below:

Why are we releasing this for free?

Because why not? We haven't used significant financial resources. Neither should you. We certainly don't feel our free time is so important that we should charge you 50+ USD. We'd rather share with you without expecting donations, payments, or even small thanks. If you try and like it, then that is enough reward for us.

Installation:

Installation is simple. No installers are needed. No registry entries. No start menu shortcuts. No BS.

Each region is contained within a scenery folder where the terrain .bgl files are stored. Simply add to the scenery library through FSX as you would with any scenery folder. You can put the files anywhere, as long as they are contained with a scenery folder and you add it to the scenery library config.

Possible example folder structures:

• FSX > Addon Scenery > FreeMeshX - Europe > Scenery > BGL files
  • FSX > FreeMeshX Global > Europe > Scenery > BGL files
  • FSX > Addon Scenery > FMX > Europe > Scenery > BGL files

To uninstall, simply remove the scenery config, and delete or move the folder. Done.

Compatibility:

FreeMeshX should work with other meshes. FSX simply uses the highest LOD mesh in the library for a given location. This way you can layer meshes. For instance, FS Global 2010 may have a LOD11 mesh for a mountain range. With both FreeMeshX and FS Global 2010 enabled in the library, FSX will prioritize the LOD11 mesh over the FreeMeshX LOD10 mesh. Tested and built using FTX Global. Works great. We recommend purchasing it. It's on sale this month of May too.

Download .torrent files:

Conventional HTTP links for those who can't torrent -- Requires 7-ZIP

Always extract the .001 file. The rest will automatically extract afterwards. Preference is torrenting, so please torrent f you can!

Africa (2 Parts)

Antarctica (1 Part)

Asia (4 Parts)

Australia and Oceania (1 Part)

Europe (1 Part)

North America (2 Parts)

South America (2 Parts)

License: You may use and share this work, as long as original credit is given to the authors: Daniel Moser and David Esnouf. No commercialization of this work or derivative works is allowed.

Full license here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode

Special Thanks:

• NASA for releasing new SRTM data
  • Jonathan Ferrenti for freely providing large amounts of elevation data in the higher latitudes.

This is absolutely FANTASTIC! I am downloading (via the torrents!) as I type this. Thank you so much for this wonderful resource.

FSX Acceleration with FreeMeshX, SceneryTech, FTX Global Base + Vector, FTX AUS NZNI NZSI

Dell Precision M4400 laptop (Intel Core2Duo @ 3GHz; 4GB RAM; nVidia FX770M)

Saitek AV8R-01 joystick; 64-bit Win7 Ultimate; FSEconomy (as fun as it gets!)

• 4 weeks later...

What a great contribution to the simming world! And freeware to boot. It don't get no better than that.

A very quick review:

Yes, it takes a very long time to do the downloads - 8 to 12 hours depending on your download speed (mine is reasonably fast - AT&T U-verse Internet Max), but it is well worth it. I have Orbx FTX Global BASE and VECTOR, openLC Europe and HDE installed (they took a long time, also).

My system specs:

MSI Z87 G45 Mobo

Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz

8 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti overclocking performance level 3 w/2MB RAM

Windows 7-64

I have FSX display sliders set to recommended Orbx settings except for:

Weather - Cloud draw distance 70 mi.

Weather - Cloud coverage density medium

Weather - Rate of change medium

Weather - Using real world weather

Traffic - Airline 50%

Traffic - GA 50%

Traffic - Airport vehicle medium

Traffic - Show aircraft labels

Traffic - Land & Sea all set at 16%

I started with FSX.cfg LOD_RADIUS at 4.5 then pushed it to 8.5.

I am still getting very acceptable performance and FPS around 30 on the ground with traffic and 40-60 in the air. FPS is set to Unlimited.

When I compared "without FreeMesh" to "with FreeMesh" @ LOD 4.5, there were obvious differences in many places, less in others. I.E. The Matterhorn - obvious, Mt. Everest - obvious, Mt. Hood - not much, Banff area - not much. However, when I pushed LOD to 8.5 there were significant differences in all of those areas.

No, I haven't crashed with OOM - yet. So far, I've not seen memory usage readings above 1.5GB. My video card did reset itself in the middle of a flight, but once it did so, there were no other problems. I suspect that was due to my overclocking it even more than the default performance level 3 because it was reset to defaults when I checked it after that flight.

I will continue to use/test the FreeMesh setup and will report any significant issues.

Great job, Daniel and David!!! A big pat on the back for taking on this project.

Rusty

Rusty Gunz - been simming since the Apple II+ and Sublogic

"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC : 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB

CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro controllers

Vizio 40" 4K HDR monitor : Windows 11 Home 64 bit

Sounds good...

I started with the South America stuff from https://mega.co.nz and find this unacceptable:

It downloads to unknown location on my machine without my direction/permission;

I cannot find any trace of the download in progress (.part) in any normal download

folder or user temp folder. DL terminated.

Not in this lifetime...

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

^^^

Torrents can be a little tricky and takes some getting used to. However, the torrent application does give you the ability to decide where the torrent file is stored and where the downloaded file the torrent downloads extract to. I bet you can find the torrent file if you looked, or downloaded it again (they are small) and take a closer look at the path.

In the Options-> Directories you can preset folder locations which make more sense to you, or if you haven't modified them, will give you a clue where to look for the file(s) you have already downloaded.

Once you open the torrent file, you can choose where the file(s) extract.

Best to put in an interim location, then move/extract to FS later.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Loyd,

I too wondered where mega.co.nz was storing the downloads it provides. Turns out you have to wait until the end of the process. Then you are asked where you want to store the file. I use Google Chrome as my browser. If you click on the "Customize and control Google Chrome" option (the three horizontal bars in the upper right corner) then click Downloads, you can view all of your downloads and it will show the progress of each. You can also use the shortcut Ctrl J. Either way a new tab opens for the downloads.

You might want to try again.

Another tip. Be sure to unzip only the .001 file of each set having multiple files. The other files will unzip automatically to whatever folder you chose for the .001.

Good luck

UPDATE: I did not use the Torrent downloads. Call me super cautious, but I don't like opening the door for bad guys. And they are out there and will take advantage. Torrent can be a door (I know I'll get a lot of feedback on that statement, but 40 years of IT experience has taught me something.)

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC : 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB

CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro controllers

Hi,

What is the best program for downloading torrents? I know this is subjective but that's okay. It's my understanding that once you've downloaded a torrent you can be part of a network and share that file with others, thereby contributing to the download community. As I currently don't have a method of downloading torrents I chose the Antarctica file. It's almost downloaded. It appears that it takes about 12 minutes to download a Gig.

I'm saving it to a new folder I created on an external drive; "...Scenery\Mesh\Antarctica. Trying to keep things in order.

Download complete, gotta go check it out.

Jim F.

I downloaded the Asia package and I was just checking out Cam Ranh Bay. I did this about a month ago too and at that time tried some freeware mesh from the library here and also some old payware from FSGenesis I had on DVDs. There's a very noticeable improvement with FreeMeshX, Viet Nam really has a new look, thanks very much!

I did not use the Torrent downloads. Call me super cautious, but I don't like opening the door for bad guys. And they are out there and will take advantage. Torrent can be a door (I know I'll get a lot of feedback on that statement, but 40 years of IT experience has taught me something.)

Totally agree with you Rusty, I don't trust Torrents at all, its like playing Russian Roulette. As for mega.co.nz you can totally trust the site, I know the owner very well, he has some of the best encryption and anti virus / malware protection in the world.

I believe the that is the reason you cant select the file path until the end.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Some of you better stay off the internet; it's a very bad place, filled with all kinds of bad stuff.

For everyone else, please note that I am one of the torrent seeders of this very fine mesh.

Also please note that many other large files have a torrent option in 2015.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Thanks Rusty,

I suspected as much but I shied away when I couldn't find the DL 'in progress'. I did switch over to utorrent (my first ever) and it proceeded without a hitch. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

It's not the technology that's risky, but the people using it.

There are a lot of huge game updates which would take days without Torrent.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Will the Utorrent work for these downloads. I did the Australia, Oceania via regular download and it too a while but works terrifically? One of my techie friends suggested using Utorrent.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

OK, we may be getting off topic here. I never intended to start a debate of “torrent vs other download methods” or to insult anyone. My comment was simply meant to explain why I did not use torrent for the FreeMesh X Global download when it was obviously available as an option. (Perhaps a torrent user could post some info about download times for this software specifically.) This thread is about the great software that has been made available to the simming community. ‘Nuff said.

I am continuing to use FmXG with the settings stated in my earlier post. I am still getting satisfactory results with those settings. My frame rates do decrease when I am at larger airports, say KORD for example - in the 15-20 FPS range. However, the smoothness of motion does not suffer enough to be noticeable. I have tested it while taxiing to the active with two aircraft in front of me, one to the side headed for a gate and three on final (although the #2 and #3 planes had to go around – blame ATC for that faux pas). Again, 14-20 FPS and no noticeable jerkiness.

I pushed LOD_RADIUS to 10 briefly, but got the OOM error; so I reset it to 8.5 and that’s probably where I will stay. I downloaded & installed Orbx freeware for Devil’s Tower, Yosemite and Portland. They all look fantastic at 8.5 as do Mt. Everest, the Matterhorn, Banff Nat’l Park and Mt. Hood.

I’m looking forward to many great flights with FmXG in combination with my other scenery packages!

Rusty

• 3 weeks later...
Since this is world wide mesh, would be be a matter of choice between this software and GF Genesis or are they different. Does anyone have a recommendation between the 2? I have downloaded but not installed. I have UTX NA and UTX Tropics and GEX installed on new SSD . Would like the best mesh available. Thanks.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Brian,

I do not have the Genesis software, I use FTX Global and FTX Vector. This software, FMX Global, is (as you say) mesh software. It is not terrain software as the other two are. It is designed to be used with either to give you more detailed terrain. Do a little research on what mesh software does specifically and you will gain some insight as to how FMX Global will function for you. (Not chiding you, just suggesting a way to get some knowledge that will be useful for you and help you make a decision, perhaps.)

Good luck and happy flying!

Rusty

Since i have FS genesis for the US maybe it makes sense to get the fmx for the rest of the world. One problem I've run into. In both Africa and South America downloads that stupid

Mega" file comes up. I don't know what it is, but i don't want it but you can't seem to get rid of it. Anyway around the stupid thing so i can just download the two files? Thanks for your input. I've red quite a bit about mesh but I don't believe mesh is mesh or else there would not be such a mesh. So one must be better than the others or is it like most things, up to the viewer?

Brian W.

AviatorMoser, many thanks for the links. I've downloaded all (not via torrent), unpacked, virus-scanned and installed. All ok. Indeed, I like what I see more than what I got with FS Global 2008, in general. Great stuff!

Brian, the Mega thingy seems to be a download manager. In any case, I used a spare laptop as interface, then downloaded the two files, unpacked and scanned. all ok. the Mega thingy is an add-on that can be uninstalled afterwards. No idea what the point of having two files at Mega and all others at Mediafire is.

David

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Since i have FS genesis for the US maybe it makes sense to get the fmx for the rest of the world.

The FreeMesh X North America bundle doesn't include the US anyway because the US is already LOD10 (a measure of mesh resolution) by default so keep using the FSGenesis there. Much of Asia for example is only LOD9 in default FSX however and the FreeMeshX mesh is LOD10 which (IIUC) effectively doubles the resolution.

I've red quite a bit about mesh but I don't believe mesh is mesh or else there would not be such a mesh. So one must be better than the others or is it like most things, up to the viewer?

I have some FSGenesis payware mesh for Asia and it's also LOD9. I did some comparison screenshots in Viet Nam using:

1. Default mesh

2. The FSGenesis payware FSX mesh

3. FreeMesh X

FreeMesh X definitely wins. Here's a comparison animated .gif thingy, click the image below to open the .gif in a new tab (1 Mb):

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/cam_ranh_mesh_comparison.jpg

One problem I've run into. In both Africa and South America downloads that stupid Mega" file comes up. I don't know what it is, but i don't want it but you can't seem to get rid of it. Anyway around the stupid thing so i can just download the two files?

I think they were having some trouble getting the files uploaded at the time so to speed things up they hosted them at two different locations. Is Mega.nz trying to get you to install their browser plug-in? I didn't like it either, I did it and it appears to be OK, no ill effects, no ad-ware, no BS, and you can remove it afterwards if you want. The only caution I have is don't close the browser window before the download finishes or you'll have to start over again. Grrr :)

That would be slope calls where farmland textures morph to forests on slopes that exceed x number of degrees, forest textures morph to rock textures on slopes a bit steeper, etc. The higher resolution meshes define the slopes more accurately so apparently more areas of steep terrain and more slope morphing.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I wasn't aware of that. I continually learn something new about the Flight Simulator series. How can anyone fail to be impressed with it all? Imagine if the development had gone on at the rate it had if the franchise hadn't been discontinued.

Jim F.

Oh wow, I nearly forgot I made an announcement post here! It was quiet here for nearly a week after I made the announcement so I sort of assumed there was little interest. Thanks for the kind feedback!

To address a few questions, yes we had problems uploading a couple of files to MediaFire (for unknown reasons), so we hosted those two files on MEGA. MEGA does install a browser plugin for its downloads, but its purely for functional reasons for resuming downloads, and not for malware use. For those wary about Bit torrent, these are free files that I have licensed for free redistribution, so there are no legal conflicts when using bit Torrent. I prefer Tixati for my own Bit Torrent client.

We've tried to go with the most hassle-free path for downloading 42 GB, and I think the MediaFire + bit Torrent solution is the best. We can't afford a disk and snail-mail solution, but perhaps there can be a such process between friends.

We have a number of patches available to fix a few issues in the 1.0 release, the latest being 1.04 (released yesterday). We also have a support forum at AVSIM, and we ask you use that support forum if you can, but if you can't or prefer not to, asking questions or posting bug reports works here too.

Installation Tutorial:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469373-freemeshx-installation-tutorial/

Patches:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469369-freemeshx-patches/

Original Release Announcement:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469368-freemesh-x-global-for-fsx-and-p3d-original-release-announcement/

Archived