Carrier Launch help. please!

Please help this poor idiot. I have the RCBO 2.0 add-on in FS9 and it works great. Launch or recovery is perfect. No problems.

Having said that, I'm very new at FSX-SE. I have the Aicarriers.NET running. I can LAND on the carriers, no problem. However, I can't seem to figure out launching to save my life. I taxi up to the track, very slowly, and hit ctrl-U for the launchbar down just before I get to it. I line up very carefully. I hit ctrl-I, let the brakes off, make sure trim is set, wings not folded, flaps to 1/2. I hit F4 for full AB and Ctrl-Spacebar to GO...annnnd I run off the end of the boat and into the water at 65 KIAS. The hold-back does work properly, once I hit ctrl-I, by the way.

This is only with the 3 carriers I've tried so far, FCBG_ADE_TM FSXF-CarrierGroupMiramarPUB V4.0.zip, the mecops.zip package, and cv71.zip off Pensacola (KPNS....no jokes please! ;D ) . Yes I do have Javier's carrier installed for the packages and AICairriers to use.

Do I need RCBO v3.0 installed? I can trap, just not figure out the launch "thing" (I refuse to call problems issues!). Any and all help will be most greatly and deeply appreciated, and don't be afraid about being nice or making me look silly (read stupid). I will probably beat myself up worse over the problem that is probably more my own mess-up than anyone else would be able to.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies/assistance/answers/guffaws at my expense :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

When you fly the F-18 in the Carrier tutorial and carrier practice, does the same thing happen? If it does, then it's a technique thing. If it doesn't then it's an add-on thing.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

If FSX se is teh acceleration ver it doesnt need any addons. Mind yo as you can probaly see, you need to find the correct spot on the catapult or it wont activate. Seems you have that ok. Fsx has the same setting on launch for every aircraft, simply dont need afterburner, it is far to powerfull for some planes. Have you tried Dinos T45 here. best freeware out there.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=dino&CatID=fsxac&Go=Search

His Aeromachhi is good to

Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

The key combo to launch is 'Shift+Spacebar', not 'Control+Spacebar'. All the launch key combos are 'Shift+X'. Try it again. (You have GOT to be more careful..').

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Napa, you are 100% correct. I was using SHIFT_X key combos. I haven't the faintest idea why I typed CTRL instead. That's what I get for trying type before I take my medicine in the evening I suppose.

I do thank you for the correction to the very obvious mistake I made, though.

I also thank the rest of you for your answers. I will try them all, one at a time, starting with Dino's T-45 (I absolutely adore his F-14 for FS9!). I will also see about RCBO v3.0 too. I do use v2.0 extensively in FS9, so as long as it's similar, I should be ok with installing and using it.

Thanks again to all! Time to load up the T-45 and go flying!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

I can't seem to figure out launching to save my life. I taxi up to the track, very slowly, and hit ctrl-U for the launchbar down just before I get to it. I line up very carefully. I hit ctrl-I, let the brakes off, make sure trim is set, wings not folded, flaps to 1/2. I hit F4 for full AB and Ctrl-Spacebar to GO...annnnd I run off the end of the boat and into the water at 65 KIAS. The hold-back does work properly, once I hit ctrl-I, by the way.

I had exactly the same problem trying to do the F/A-18 carrier missions. I spent fully 3 hours one night just trying to launch, ended up taxiing back as far aft as I could, turning around and launching in full afterburner with no catapult help at all, which is absurd. (Yes, I used Shift-x, not Ctrl-x.)

I tried literally every possible position on and around the cat lineup spot- read the tutorials several times... did it over, and over, and over using position shifts of one inch trying to get the nosewheel in the right place. It simply DOES. NOT. WORK.

So, having read pvarn's response that it's a "technique thing," I respectfully disagree. I have encountered SEVERAL missions that could not be completed without weird workarounds, and I am convinced that there is something wrong with the carrier-launch tutorials and missions in FSX:SE.

I notice that there is no response here from anyone running FSX:SE saying "I did it and it works, here's what you have to do." If anyone has actually successfully launched an F/A-18 off of a carrier with catapult assist in FSX:SE, I would love to hear how you did it, i.e. what's the trick, because "religiously" following the published instructions doesn't work, for me or for PhantomTweak. Thanks.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

I never had any trouble in FSX, as long as the carrier actually has a catapult.

I probably use the one out in S.F. bay more than any of them, as I have flights set

up for it, and being the carrier is sitting still out there, I don't have to load, and

then chase it down, and get situated on the deck.. But I haven't tried it in SE yet.

Wasn't really expecting any difference, but maybe I'll give it a go once I get a chance.

Finally got the new puter going with Win 7 today.. Had the puter built a few days ago,

but I had to wait until Sat to get the Win 7 in the mail.

I've got FSX, the NGX, and ASN all reloaded and going. But have been busy getting

other programs going. It's a real PIA cuz I have to reload almost every program I run.

And some of the old programs I've been using a long time, I don't know if I still have the

original zip/install files.. PIA.. I still haven't reloaded SE yet, but that should be fairly easy

being I can just re-dl it from Steam.

But.. The FSX is running good so far. Beats the old Phenom II 3.5 ghz by a pretty good

margin. But it oughta for all the $$$ I've been throwing at this thing the past few days..

:p

I never had any trouble in FSX, as long as the carrier actually has a catapult.

My "boxed" installation, which is long gone now that I have FSX:SE, was the Deluxe Edition +SP1+SP2, and so didn't have Acceleration- which was one of the main reasons I jumped on Steam when it was $5. Accordingly, I never had any carrier missions before FSX:SE. Now, I have the missions but can't complete them due to my inability to accomplish the requisite cat shots.

Finally got the new puter going with Win 7 today.

:D *sound of cheering from the bleachers* :D

It's a real PIA cuz I have to reload almost every program I run. And some of the old programs I've been using a long time, I don't know if I still have the original zip/install files.

Tip: install your OLD hard disk (containing all your old programs AND the zip files you installed them from) into your new computer, or into an external drive bay, and just copy your stuff over as required, leaving only the need in some cases to re-register the new/old programs using regsvr32.

Again, big congrats on the new machine! After the PITA parts are done, I'm sure it will prove to have been worth all the time, effort and expense. It was for me.

Hi,

I tried the Carrier tutorial mission in both the disc and Steam versions of FSX. No problems in either with lowering the launch bar, arming the take-off assist or triggering the catapult.

I didn't go much past taking off. It seemed as though this was where the problems were.

I've been going through a major control re-assignment and had removed all the default assignments which I had not already re-assigned, the launch controls among them.

The only thing I could see that might be where the problem is has to do with the number of catapults. The mission refers to "either" catapult. I think I saw 2 on the canted deck and yet another on the straight section forward of the island; I didn't try that one.

I can post screen shots if that would help.

Jim F.

I tried the Carrier tutorial mission in both the disc and Steam versions of FSX. No problems in either with lowering the launch bar, arming the take-off assist or triggering the catapult.

OK, thank you for that. I have reassigned some keys, but not any of the ones involved in cat shots. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you get an animation when you lower your launch bar? I do not see anything move when I try to lower mine, but I chalked that up to just another omission by ACES.

2. If you could post a screenshot of the exact nosewheel position along the beginning of the catapult markings where the launch bar becomes lowerable, and again where the catapult is armable, that would be very helpful to me.

The only thing I could see that might be where the problem is has to do with the number of catapults. The mission refers to "either" catapult. I think I saw 2 on the canted deck and yet another on the straight section forward of the island; I didn't try that one.

Well, the Mission opens with my aircraft positioned just short of the port catapult on the foredeck, which I rashly assumed to be a clue as to which catapult I should use :p , and my Flight Leader positioned just short of the starboard cat on the foredeck- so I have never tried the angle-deck cat at all. Normally, the angle deck is used only for recoveries (traps) and the foredeck is used for all launches.

I have always believed that my problem was incorrect positioning, even though I think I have covered every inch of the first 6 feet of the catapult markings on the deck, from well before the shuttle to well after it.

Thanks for taking the time/trouble to help with this nutty problem.

A couple of nit picks I have, and agreements with Hoggy:

my aircraft positioned just short of the port catapult on the foredeck

Normally referred to as the Bow Cats. Stbd=#1, Port=#2. The other two are the Waist Cats, Stbd=#3, port=#4.

I normally try off Cat #2 myself, same location as Hoggy does. I've even gone to external view, 90° to port of the plane and at deck level, zoomed in tight on the shuttle. I ride the brakes with just a touch of power added for a smooth very slow taxi up to it, and the second the launch bar drops over the shuttle's "hook" (on the front of the shuttle. looks like an inverted J at about a 45° angle backward. It's where the little roller on the front of the launch bar attaches the bar to the shuttle), I stop dead, go to idle, and hit shft+I. This sets the hold-back to hold the bird in place. I've noticed that once I drop the Launch bar, the NWS is disconnected, so I make certain I am perfectly aligned with the track before I do.

Once I have all this done, flaps set, etc, I go to MRT, hit shft+space....nothing.

1. Do you get an animation when you lower your launch bar? I do not see anything move when I try to lower mine, but I chalked that up to just another omission by ACES.

I use the FSXBA New Hornet v15.2 (Freeware! Best Hornet available, IMHO, Pay- or Freeware). Shift+U and the cockpit switch both lower mine, animation wise.

2. If you could post a screenshot of the exact nosewheel position along the beginning of the catapult markings...where the catapult is armable, that would be very helpful to me.

Me too!!

Normally, the angle deck is used only for recoveries (traps) and the foredeck is used for all launches

Part of that is very true, as the angle deck has the only rigging for the arresting cables. All 4 cats can be used for a launch, though, as in the first launch of the day, when there aren't any birds to trap aboard. Not during cyclic ops, obviously, where there are birds launching and recovring at the same time, all day long. But if there is a break before recovery times begin, then the waist cats can be and are used.

I have always believed that my problem was incorrect positioning, even though I think I have covered every inch of the first 6 feet of the catapult markings on the deck, from well before the shuttle to well after it.

Again, ME TOO!!

Sorry, I'm kinda anal about this stuff :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Hoggy,

Just saw your reply and haven't done any thing yet. I see the launch bar animation. I tried it with both the cockpit control and the "Launch Bar (Extend/Retract)" key. When I key the "Takeoff Assist" I see the blast deflector shield raise and there is an on screen message. When I started, mine was the only plane on deck; at least close by. I'll check with higher scenery and traffic settings. I am assuming we are talking about the "Carrier tutorial" mission.

By the way I try to fly as realistically as possible, at least visually. The first thing I do prior to flying any mission is to edit the FLT so the VC zoom is set to 1. And I do not have the forced wide angle perspective gotten by sitting WideViewAspect to True. As such, I spent a lot of time in the mission trying to get enough visual clues so I didn't have to go to an external view to see if I was in the correct location. The mission would really profit by having someone guiding me to it.

Jim F.

P.S. Just saw Phantom's post while previewing. I'll check it over and try to cover as many bases as possible.

Hi,

I set all traffic and scenery to max. Restarted the carrier Tutorial and got into launch position at a couple of the catapults. No problems anywhere. Took a bunch of screenshots. I won't try to annotate them but hopefully got some that will be of help.

2015-5-4_11-24-15-755.jpg2015-5-4_11-24-33-499.jpg2015-5-4_11-25-4-503.jpg2015-5-4_11-27-3-166.jpg2015-5-4_11-27-27-453.jpg2015-5-4_11-30-40-784.jpg2015-5-4_11-31-34-92.jpg2015-5-4_11-31-46-720.jpg2015-5-4_11-32-6-724.jpg2015-5-4_11-34-17-160.jpg2015-5-4_11-34-32-661.jpg2015-5-4_11-35-28-897.jpg

I have two more but can't seem to add them. I'll add to a following post.

Jim F.

OK, found my problem, thanks to your report that you do get a launchbar animation. The launchbar control, Shift+U, was somehow unassigned. I checked EVERY control to see if it had somehow been reassigned, but it had not be RE-assigned... just inexplicably UN-assigned, which makes me feel a little bit better since there is no way I would have UN-assigned it. Erroneously RE-assigned it, maybe, but there would be no point in deliberately UN-assigning a control. The tailhook, Cat-Arm and Cat-Trigger control keys were all fine. Very mysterious.

Obviously, without lowering the launch bar, none of the subsequent steps worked at all. I just tried it and got everything to work fine once I got the launchbar lowered. No wonder I wasn't seeing a launchbar animation! :mad:

So I'm good at this point, and launching with cat assist just now is a first-ever for me, so thanks for the help!

Now I just need to figure out why none of the normal systems controls work- neither flaps nor gear work using my normal stick buttons OR the key controls... so I just flew the entire Tutorial with takeoff flaps and gear down. I can tell now that flying the F/A-18 isn't going to be much fun for me until I figure out how to get it under control.

Hi,

I apologize if I'm stating something you're well aware of. I'm trying to cover all the bases.

There is a template copy of Standard.xml in the FSX:SE root folder. You may want to try copying it to the Controls folder (located in the same folder as fsx.cfg or fsx_se.cfg). I just checked my Steam version and "TOGGLE_LAUNCH_BAR_SWITCH" is assigned to "SHIFT+U". If you're using a controller some of the functions may be duplicated but I don't think any are removed. If there is a problem with the template copy of Standard.xml I can send you the file. It does sound like something bad happened to your Standard.xml to be having multiple control issues (or problems, as some of us prefer).

Jim F.

Tip: install your OLD hard disk (containing all your old programs AND the zip files you installed them from) into your new computer, or into an external drive bay, and just copy your stuff over as required, leaving only the need in some cases to re-register the new/old programs using regsvr32.

Again, big congrats on the new machine! After the PITA parts are done, I'm sure it will prove to have been worth all the time, effort and expense. It was for me.

Yep, that's what I did. I installed all my older drives, except the old EIDE drive that

was retired, into the new case. So I have all my older stuff on drives in the new puter.

I'm finding that some stuff will run as is under Win 7 off the old drives. Some as is,

and some requires XP compat mode. So all those I just made new desktop shortcuts.

But a few programs, such as the MS Works I use for work is not working, so will need

to re-install. And all my FS stuff had to be re-installed. But overall, it's going fairly

smooth. I've got 9 TB in this puter.. Four 2 TB drives, and one 1 TB drive.

Three of the 2 TB drives are fairly new, with the C drive 2 TB that Win 7 is on, being

brand new. And I found that that all of the 2 TB drives are much faster on this new

box being as the MB has the new SATA specs.. Only the older 1 TB is about the same

speed as on the old puter, being as it's an older SATA spec.

I'm only using the on board HD 4600 video so far on the new box, and haven't bought

a good video card yet. But It's still running pretty good. I can run the NGX, ASN WX

with stock default settings, "full" detailed cloud coverage within FSX at 90 miles, and all

scenery settings at full right max, and I'm still running around 25-30 fps most of the time.

The lowest I've seen so far is about 20, and if I see that, it's due to dense clouds..

So it's running pretty good, and would be better with a good video card.

I tried the FA/18 at tree top levels with max scenery, and it was totally smooth even at

600-700 knots. Tried the orbix stuff at Bowerman,WA, and again, totally smooth at max

settings. So pretty good so far, considering the onboard video.

A default plane with max scenery will be in the 70/80 fps range..

With the old box on XP, I couldn't run max scenery with the NGX as it would vapor lock

and OOM.. With the Win 7 64, I can finally run full scenery settings with that plane. :D

Before with XP, I could only do it with default or lesser detailed planes.

I notice the i7 4790 sure changes speed a lot in normal use. It changes the multiplier,

and runs from 800 mhz to 4000 mhz depending on load. But it's pretty steady at the

higher speeds when the sim is running. Usually around 3800/3900 mhz, with some peaks

to 4000 mhz. And it's not running hot either, which I was worried about with all the

reports of hot running i7 4790k's I've seen. So maybe they got the heat lid/ thermal

paste issues ironed out on the later chips.. Mine is 2015 issue, and not too old.

Some of the first 4790k's were running hot as firecrackers.. I was worried I might have

to delid the chip if it ran hot, but so far, so good.

But I guess I'll see the real test next time I render some HD video. That's about the

most stressful thing I do as far as getting the CPU hot, as it runs all cores nearly flat out.

I got a water cooler with the bundle, but I haven't used it yet, and am still on the stock

Intel fan. I'm not sure if the radiator for the water cooler will fit inside the top of my case

without butting against the MB stuff and RAM. It's one of those Antec Kuhler h2o 1250's..

I tested FSX with hyper-threading on and off, and it seems slightly better with it on.

So I guess I let it run the eight pseudo cores all the time..

I still kind of wish I could have got the i7 4790k, but for the price I paid for the regular

i7 4790 "$198", I guess I can hang, being as it seems fast enough. It's around $300 regular

price, with the k version about in the $330 or so range at regular price.

It does sound like something bad happened to your Standard.xml to be having multiple control issues (or problems, as some of us prefer).

Jim F.

Thanks, Jim, but my second & third launch/flight in the F/A-18 went fine, all controls (launchbar, arm/trigger cat, gear, flaps, tailhook... didn't try wing fold) working as they should, so apparently it was just a transitory gremlin.

I just recalled: the gear will not retract without first raising the launch bar! No guesses about the flaps.

Strangely, it retracted just fine right after launch using my Saitek button without me having to touch the launchbar.

Glad you got it going! Upgrading Windows is SUCH a hassle, especially when MS arbitrarily decrees that XP is "not eligible" for upgrade to Win7. What a crock. No wonder some call them "Microgreed."

But a few programs, such as the MS Works I use for work is not working, so will need to re-install.

I'm still running MS-Office 97 :o on my Win-7 machines because the newer versions of Office don't offer anything I don't already have with 97, PLUS the newer versions won't run my custom code and macros that I've been using for eons... the only issue I've had is that I have to choose between application auto-launch and code operation. In XP compat mode, the code runs fine but clicking on a spreadsheet does NOT auto-launch Excel; without XP compat, double-clicking a spreadsheet DOES auto-launch Excel but then my code will not run. :mad:

I'm only using the on board HD 4600 video so far on the new box, and haven't bought a good video card yet.

Anecdotally, it seems to me that newer mobos' on-board HD video is as good as 2-gen-old premium video cards, which is pretty dang good. I, too, ran onboard video for a year, playing all my games just fine (but not maxed out), after my first big jump from XP to Win7. I still run onboard HD audio, seeing no further point to the whole Soundblaster upgrading frenzy since my onboard sound is already as good or better than my computer speakers can reproduce.

I'm not sure if the radiator for the water cooler will fit inside the top of my case without butting against the MB stuff and RAM.

My liquid-cooling radiator arrived with Cessna 337 Skymaster fans... you know, where the radiator is sandwiched between two fans in a "Push-Me, Pull-You" configuration, which seemed completely over-the-top overkill to me. I had to remove one of the fans to fit my new mobo in the case, and I monitored the temps frequently for a few days after the upgrade. Nothing even got warm, much less hot, even when rendering a new video in 1920x1080 full HD. Of course, that could be because I'm not running an i7, just an i5 3570.

I tested FSX with hyper-threading on and off, and it seems slightly better with it on.

I've read that FSX couldn't care less about hyperthreading, isn't aware of it and can't take advantage of it. Apparently from what you said, that's now false with the Steam edition, which is great news... if I ever get a hyperthreading-capable CPU. :D

Sounds good! That's strange about the Launch bar. It's been several years since I used the Hornet on the carrier and didn't recall anything about the launch bar. After I took off yesterday the gear wouldn't retract and I thought I had damaged it by overspeeding. On my next takeoff I immediately tried to retract the gear and it still didn't work. I found that by retracting the launch bar the gear worked. The check list doesn't say anything about retracting the launch bar either. I'm going to have to check into this further.

• 5 months later...

Archived