RTW Retro Flight #51 Johannesburg to Beira. . . . 1960

NMLW

SAA Flight 214 is a Douglas DC-7B flying from Johannesburg, South Africa to Beira, Mozambique (FAJS - FQBR). There are 2,600 gallons of fuel on board for the six hundred eight mile flight. The total flight time is about 2 hours and 35 minutes. The weather for most of the flight is for scattered cloud cover. We will be cruising at an altitude of 17,000 feet.

Thanks to:

Aircraft: Douglas DC-7B in a late 1956 SAA/SAL livery. The aircraft model is by Greg Pepper and Tom Gibson. The paint is by Andre Reimers.

Propliner AI & Traffic: CalClassic & FS Aviator - Tom Gibson, Mike Stevens, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Bill Towers, Nikko Yaginuma, Richard Wright, Frederick Coleman, Dave Jones, Paul Haak, Marty Lochmiller, Ake Lindberg, Harland Sandberg, Richard Wright and Gary Harper. www.calclassic.com

Scenery: FS2004 Standard and:

- Johannesburg’s Jan Smuts and Beira Airports are from the 1960 Africa Scenery Package by Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard, Jaap de Baare, Mike Stevens, Tom Gibson, Nikko Yaginuma and Johan Dees. Available at www.calclassic.com

- Rwy12 and EZ Static Object and Scenery Libraries.

- FS2004 Classic Scenery Libraries V3 by Wolfgang Gersch.

- REX FS9 enhancements for sky, cloud, weather, water/waves, runway, taxiway textures, sun and lighting.

- Flight One Ground Environment Pro II.

- HDE 2.0 grass texture enhancement by Pablo Diaz.

Click to enlarge . . .

1. Passengers are loaded and getting ready to button up.

DC-7B_SAA_01.jpg

2. Hatches buttoned up and starting engine number one.

DC-7B_SAA_02.jpg

3. Taxiing out to Rwy. 3 for takeoff.

DC-7B_SAA_03.jpg

4. We are airborne and stowing the gear.

DC-7B_SAA_04.jpg

5. Turning toward a heading of 45 degrees toward Beira.

DC-7B_SAA_05.jpg

6. Climbing through 9,000 feet.

DC-7B_SAA_06.jpg

7. At 10,000 feet we leveled off and switched the superchargers to high. We’re now continuing to climb through 15,000 feet about 30 miles from Johannesburg.

DC-7B_SAA_07.jpg

8. Cruising at 17,000 feet with mixtures leaned and props adjusted.

DC-7B_SAA_08.jpg

9. Near the agricultural town of Groblersdal, SA we look out over our left wing at the sun.

DC-7B_SAA_09.jpg

10. Continuing on through the clouds over Kruger National Park about 300 miles from Johannesburg.

DC-7B_SAA_10.jpg

More in the reply . . . . . . . . .

Larry

Click to enlarge . . .

11. We’re now about 30 miles into Mozambique with the Limpopo River just behind us.

DC-7B_SAA_11.jpg

12. Cruising over the Zinave National Park about 180 miles from Beira, Mozambique.

DC-7B_SAA_12.jpg

13. About 100 miles from Beira we look out over our right wing.

DC-7B_SAA_13.jpg

14. We begin our descent to 13,000 feet.

DC-7B_SAA_14.jpg

15. 25 miles from Beira we continue to descend through 9,000 feet.

DC-7B_SAA_15.jpg

16. At 3,000 feet we turn toward the airport with the Pungue River ahead.

DC-7B_SAA_16.jpg

17. Flaps full and gear down we are on final to Rwy. 12 at Beira.

DC-7B_SAA_17.jpg

18. Main gear down.

DC-7B_SAA_18.jpg

19. Nose wheel down.

DC-7B_SAA_19.jpg

20. Turning off the runway heading toward the terminal.

DC-7B_SAA_20.jpg

21. Parked and passengers offloaded. Thanks for flying SAA/SAL.

DC-7B_SAA_21.jpg

Larry

Nice shots and flight !!
AMD FX-8350 8 CORES 4.0/ovrclckd 5.0GHz, GIGABYTE GA 990FXA-UD7, RAM 32GB/2000MHz, GeFORCE GTX TITAN, 2xSSD 256GB, 2*HDD 2TB, 3x42" LCD, SAITEK PRO FLIGHT, MCP+EFIS PANEL, ANDROID TABLET FOR FMC AND EFB, WIN8-64BIT, FS9

Glad to see that I am NOT the only person to describe each screenshot!!! Thanks for amazing specific description of each of your screenshots during your entire flight!! THAT IS WHAT MAKES AN EXTREMELY EFFICIENT SCREENSHOT POST!!

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Thanks for the kind words Adam, Gary & Jan. :)

Jan, glad you like the Retro scenery. They did a big upgrade to the Asia/Pacific scenery last year and add a lot of airports. While I was looking through them I can across one that reminded me of you so I took a shot of it. Unfortunately I don't remember where it was, but here it is:

fsscr001.jpg

Larry

Archived