FSX Steam Edition

schick

Hi all,

I've been contemplating getting the Steam edition (Have been flying "box" for past couple of years)

Main reason is that it's a lot easier to connect to multiplayer via Steam than to manually search and type in an IP address.

I have some concerns that I hope can get some assistance with:

1. Add-Ons. I have tons of them, from freeware to payware. Googling around, I came to the assumption that most would work. But how do I "transfer" them from existing FSX to FSX Steam? Would really like to avoid redownloading everything. All my add-ons total at least 100GB.

2. Any way to "port" my box FSX to FSX Steam?

I'm pretty sure I had more questions but they've slipped my mind. Maybe as I go along I'll just ask again.

Thanks.

Edit:

Is it possible to download FSX Steam and have it run alongside my boxed FSX? That is to say I'll use the Steam version for multiplayer, but the boxed FSX for offline flying.

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-192d

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (1.5 GB GDDR5 dedicated), 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Hello Jeffrey. I'm no expert on these questions, but I can tell you a little of what I have experienced thus far with FSX-SE. It does appear to run smoother than my 'Boxed edition". I am however, still experiencing some 'image tearing or rippling' when panning quickly around the outside views. I think this is possibly due to running on an older AMD Phenom x4 965 BE 3.40Ghz CPU. I'm sure a newer Intel CPU would probably be stronger.

1. Add-Ons> I have had almost 'zero' problems with my FSX add-ons. So far, almost all of my stuff has worked... BUT, you must make sure you install (or point the Installer) to the right location, which is (your HDD)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX. Using this approach, everything has worked fine for me.

2. Porting into FSX-SE from FSX> I am not aware of being able to 'port' stuff over from the boxed edition into the Steam edition. Maybe someone knows how, but I have not tried it with success. The attempts I have made failed and created a LOT of troubles. I ultimately deleted my Steam Edition copy and reinstalled it. I do have both FSX editions on my HDD, as well as FS9 and X-Plane10 Global 64-Bit simulators. I am almost out of HDD room, and currently looking at reloading everything across (2) HDDs instead.

Multiplayer IS so much easier to operate for sure!!! ~Glenn

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

As to question #2: No. If you get the Steam edition, you download the whole thing from Steam. Same for any updates they provide. I think the FSX.cfg file can be used for either/or (Steam/Boxed) but thinking is not my strong suit. Former Marine, y'know! :D And yes most add-ons work as well or better in FSX-SE, but you have to make sure the installer knows where to stick it...so to speak :) Steam put's FSX mu deeper into a folder tree than FSX boxed tends to.

Hope that helps a little :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

"Main reason is that it's a lot easier to connect to multiplayer via Steam than to manually search and type in an IP address."

If this is really your main reason: Multiplayer, you can mult with hundreds of pilots on the Vatsim multiplayer network using dedicated free clients. Once set up, you'll never type an IP address again, AND you get real people trained ATC which is a big big benefit. All free.

If however the ream "main" reason is to get something new, then Steam is probably the way to go.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

There are thousands of unmanned towers and centers on Vatsim. You and your friends can buzz together all you want as long as you don't disrupt any other traffic in the area. Just pick an unmanned airport. Of course, if malice against other players is your thing, you'll eventually make enemies no matter where you go.

I have frequently got together with friends in remote areas to frolic with no problems and have done it for over 15 years. Alaska is great for this with dramatic scenery all around and challenging airfields. Even if the center is manned, they'll leave filed VFR people alone to have fun as long as no other traffic is affected.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I can buzz the tower and not get a nasty email and potentially a suspension from the network.

"Goose, I think it's time to buzz the tower!"

All I can think whenever I hear that phrase...I think I saw the movie tooooo often for my own good!

:D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

"Goose, I think it's time to buzz the tower!"

All I can think whenever I hear that phrase...I think I saw the movie tooooo often for my own good!

:D

Pat☺

Yeah! At least 1 time too many:rolleyes: Now guess what theme music I hear each time FSX starts up? ;) And I'm not flyin' a cargo plane full of rubber dog poo outta Hong Kong, either!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

One thing you can do on multiplayer that is seriously frowned upon on VATSIM is horseplay. On multiplayer, I can buzz the tower and not get a nasty email and potentially a suspension from the network.

When I was in the Marines it was not at all uncommon when approaching a military airport or even aircraft carrier to request and receive permission to "Boom the Tower" prior to landing. You'd fly near the tower still in formation on the downwind leg and at downwind altitude. Then peel off and land one after the other.. I only remember this being done as a "flight" of two or more planes flying in formation. But I have seen a flight of four planes do it several times.

In fact our squadron commander liked to ask to "Boom the Tower" and we were in choppers. Each pilot as he went by the tower keyed his mic and said BOOM!

Of course that was in the '60s. There are probably all kinds of regulations prohibiting actions like that today.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

When I was in the Marines...

Semper Fi, brother!

You a slick driver? I worked on the Phunky Phantoms, but maybe a few years after you were in :) We did see a lot of 1960's parts for the radars though. I was shocked by one, and I quote, "Warranted till Dec 1960". We kept that one as a museum piece, sort of. Radar shop is a kinda weird place :)

Anyhow, great to see ya. Thank you very much for your service!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Semper Fi, brother!

You a slick driver? I worked on the Phunky Phantoms, but maybe a few years after you were in :) We did see a lot of 1960's parts for the radars though. I was shocked by one, and I quote, "Warranted till Dec 1960". We kept that one as a museum piece, sort of. Radar shop is a kinda weird place :)

Anyhow, great to see ya. Thank you very much for your service!

Pat☺

Semper Fi! I flew CH-34s & CH-46s during the mid sixties in Vietnam.

I was to be among the first squadron (HMM-164) to fly CH-46s in Vietnam. But I ended up in the "advance team" of HMM 164 where I was to learn the ropes while flying CH-34s in HMM-364. I did that for a few months and really enjoyed those slow but hugely dependable planes out of Chu Lai. But I ended up getting the shit shot out of me and I was med-evaced to for the states the first time before HMM-164 arrived by LPH.

By the time I was in good enough condition to fly again HMM-164 was long established in Da Nang. So I left in the "advance team" again out of Marble Mountain and flew CH-46s while waiting for for HMM-165 which came over on the LPH (Landing Party Helicopter) "Tripoli" to arrive.

T.B.T.G. I never have to endure that long trip on a LPH! (Landing Party Helicopter) Especially one as ill equipped for combat as was the Tripoli! It had a huge port list when first deployed and was on it's maiden voyage. Complete with a huge number of crew who had never been to sea on a ship before! So the only way to make the ship float level appeared to be to load all the planes on the starboard side to cancel out the list.

When the Tripoli arrived on station in Vietnam most of the crew if not all had never been in a combat situation. Nor was almost anyone in the USMC Battalion Landing Team which had come over aboard the Tripoli. Worse yet, the entire BLT was equipped with a very early version of the AR-15.

So the Tripoli and HMM-165 launched a BLT of about 320 men into a landing area, at the bottom of a hill right on the beach. After about 48 hours we from squadrons far and wide as well as HMM-165 had to evacuate everyone from that BLT from the beach. They ended up with 240+ casualties out of approximately 320 men. Though not nearly that many people died, the death rate was huge as well.

The big problem? Their brand new weapons were never tried in sandy conditions!!!! I can't tell you how many weapons we saw from the air which were broke down like a shotgun because they wouldn't fire!! If you are in a beach landing on a sandy beach your T.O. weapon really should be one that still fires after being subjected to sand!!

After my second shot to shit experience while flying with HMM-165 I was deemed unfit to pass a flight physical so I was discharged. Though that didn't mean I got compensation. I was unfit to pass a flight physical but not disabled. So I found a job in the real world after paying for most of my engineering degree on my own buck! My V.A. benefits helped to buy my books. But never paid for a single semester of tuition in college.

Certainly had I served even as single day before the end of WWII or after 911, I would have had hugely better benefits! than I will ever receive. Today after paying 90% of my post service college costs I am finally on 100% disability based on wounds I have suffered through for over 40+ years.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Don't know if this applies but when I was in the Army in Thailand in 64-65 at Korat,,,I loved on my days off watching the F104s and the Phantoms landing cuz the Air Force was just outside our back gate then....I would go down there and sit on the flight line and just watch all these planes takeoff for Viet Nam.....and then when they came back and not all of their bombs were dropped they unloaded them not too far from my "Hootch" and my wall locker would shake and rattle...I still think about that....LOL....al v

Wow! Quite a life, sir! I thank you again for you sacrifices in service to America, and I can thoroughly relate to the lack of benefits situation.

As far as the AR-15/M-16A1: The AR-15 is actually a halfway decent weapon. The M-16A1 is a piece of plastic garbage. First off, the round is so small and light that a twig or leaf, and off into the unknown it flies. Second, the mods they (McNamara and Stoner, who normally made SH guns) made to turn the AR into a "military" weapon ruined it. The full auto (no 3 round burst then) quickly depleted rounds when young, untrained (mostly) men got into tight spot, where they tend to spray-n-pray. Lastly, and most importantly, the reduced gas tube and very tight tolerances they insisted on (more money per weapon for McNamara!) made the weapon grossly undependable, especially in the hands of men who had it forced on them, didn't want it, and seldom cleaned it as it required. I know. I was a marksmanship instructor. Even on the Range we'd get a ton of stoppages, constantly, as well as the little-known trick with the gas rings lining up. When I came in, I'd never even held a fire-arm before (I prefer edged weapons of all sorts :) Still do!) and I managed to qual expert, every time I fired for qual. But I still held a great distrust of the weapon, especially after spending a lot of time speaking with the guys that "had the t-shirt" as they say. Men like yourself, sir. I would take mine down for cleaning and lube between relays, much to the amusement of others, but I never had a single stoppage, thank goodness. Even in the "field", when I was there, I was kinda fanatical about it, but I had NO desire to do it during a fire-fight! I would also force those under me to do it too, though they didn't care for me doing that much.

Honestly, I think the M-16A1 killed more of our troops than it protected. Your tale is a prime example of the situation.

I have no idea how, but I came out unscathed, thankfully. I am sorry to hear of your numerous injuries. Sadly it seems that the Marines ewre kinda expendable at the time. Attitudes seem to have, thankfully, reversed, and the Military is respected once again, which is gratifying! I hope your life is as best as may be now, sir!

Al V : Thank you also for your service, sir! Let me tell you, the pilots and ordnance men, both, hated coming home with unexpended ordnance! They would try for any target to drop it. Sadly, the micro-management from Washington was such it wasn't always possible. As we used to say, "Thems the breaks of NavAir!" It did, too. Break, that is. A LOT back then :D

Good luck to all, and my eternal gratitude to all the fellow service members, regardless of branch!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks to all for their inputs.

So does it mean that I can download and install fsx site edition side by side with my original disk version?

Will there be any files such as fsx.cfg that will be affected?

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-192d

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (1.5 GB GDDR5 dedicated), 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Yes, you can have FSX and FSX:SE installed side by side with no problem. As for fsx.cfg, FSX:SE uses a separate folder for the .cfg than does FSX, so there is no issue there and there appears, with default installations, no other interference between the two programs. I know this because I have both installed on my system.
http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

If you know your way around where FSX stores all its files, you can merge your old FSX into FSX:SE. I did too, as I have a lot of addons (about 1 TByte worth...). I would never have seen the end of a complete reinstall.

Archived