Ual b-737-700

Except for the paint job, that's exactly the bird my father flew for quite a while (ok, ok, a 737-300, but still...)! On the same route, and for the same company! Put a '76 paint job and it, and you got it! SFO to LA, to SFO, to Portland, to SFO, every day. UAL's routine commuter shuttle.

One day, when I was with him, just because I love airplanes, we were headed to Portland, full load of fuel and passengers. He was landing on 28L, and wanted to be able to get off onto the taxiway before he crossed 3/21, so he wouldn't have to taxi to the end, and taxi all the way back to the terminal. Late in the day, been a long day, all he had to do was off-load/reload the Pax and luggage and head for SFO (home!). Well, it was a hot day, we were heavy, and he had a bit of "get-home-itis". He landed like a good Navy pilot will, ie: we were DOWN! at the farthest end of 28L he could ht. Full reversers, spoilers up, on the brakes hard. And he made the taxi-way! He had to use the ailerons to keep the plane level during the turn, and only shut the reversers just before the turn. I thought we were gonna fall out of our seats side-ways, forward, something, but we made it! Finally got slowed down on the taxiway, taxied to the terminal and shut down. I thought he'd trashed the brakes, but no fire or anything, so we refilled with Pax and headed home, calm as you please :D

Thank you for a great post, and the little stroll down memory lane. I loved it!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pat, I read your post, what a great memory glad that this meant so much to you. My dad was a test pilot for Mc Donnell Douglas on DC-9, DC-8 & DC-10's for several years that is why I got my PPL early in life I soloed when I was 17 back in 1973 while I was a Junior in HS. Unfortunately medical would have taken away my lic, so a several yrs ago I stopped flying I miss it but when I have the chance to go flying I do and still enjoy it. As for the other postings, thanks for the input always appreciated. Kenny

Archived