How is the ArmA III / Take On: Helicopters flight model regarded in this community?

tulx

Hello everyone!

I have lately gotten into the more "sim" side of flying via ArmA III and Take On: Helicopters, whose flight model stuck me (a complete flight simulator newbie) as quite realistic. I've had a few helicopter flight lessons and noticed that I tend to make the same mistakes in ArmA III as I did in a real helicopter. For example: when hovering, I always overcompensate for small adjustments and end up in a circular sway etc.

How do you pros see this? Is ArmA III / TO:H a worthwhile "gateway drug" into the flight simulation scene? Or do you have other suggestions for someone just starting to enjoy the genre?

Thanks in advance for any input and have a pleasant week!

Best regards,

tulx

You might take a look at the forums over on Hovercontrol.com That is THE premier (IMHO) helicopter site around. Numerous heli's to look at, opinions from may many excellent simpilots of chopper, all kinds of stuff. Great site! They will, probably, either be able to answer your questions, or direct to someone that can.

Hope this helps out a teeny bit :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't got TO:H but I'm an Arma III player and it's definitely fun flying helis and fixed wingers in it.

But I've also got FSX and think the FSX flight model is a shade more realistic and challenging.

For example in FSX I haven't yet been skilfull enough to land a big chopper on the roofpad of this Tokyo hotel, I usually begin drifting in the breeze while attempting to hover, then panic and dump it too hard on the pad making the "crash" message come up (sniffle)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad-tokyo_zpsb0d383b3.jpg~original

PS- managed it with this Jet Ranger though, it's a pussy cat..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad-Tokyo3_zpsd9ba1619.jpg~original

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I need to get ArmA i swear its mentioned every time i log on lol It must be one hell of a game. I will go buy it this week

Arma III is the latest and I did a thread about it here under my fighting name 'Poor Old Spike'-

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/165403-weapon-tests/

BUT a lot of people still prefer the older Arma II, as I do myself.

My biggest gripe against III is that it's set in the future, and many of the units are therefore fictitious and don't exist in real life, for example there are no Abrams tanks in it the last time I looked.

By contrast, everything in II does exist in todays world.

Also the overall "feel" of II is better than III in my opinion.

I play ARMA 3 and am a member of the 7th Cavalry. We are about 450 members strong. You will not find a more realistic military sim anywhere. Basic ARMA 3 is fun but not as much fun as when you are in a well organized Clan that has it's own servers and custom modifications like the 7thCav. I recommend to anyone to get this that may enjoy this type of game. No it is not call of duty thank god!! I am a medic and I have to deal with bandages, blood bags, morphine, epinephrine and other items needed in healing. it is not an instant process. If you get ARMA 3 and like it consider joining the 7th Cavalry. You must be 18 or older, You must post to roll call every week and be available for a section practice.

Above all else.......Have fun with it!!! :)

Ross G.

Arma III is the latest and I did a thread about it here under my fighting name 'Poor Old Spike'-

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/165403-weapon-tests/

BUT a lot of people still prefer the older Arma II, as I do myself.

My biggest gripe against III is that it's set in the future, and many of the units are therefore fictitious and don't exist in real life, for example there are no Abrams tanks in it the last time I looked.

By contrast, everything in II does exist in todays world.

Also the overall "feel" of II is better than III in my opinion.

It is not set in the future. There are Abrams tanks. Every Weapon and item is a real life item. I Have been playing ARMA since before it was ARMA. Back when it was Operation Flashpoint. It is modern day warfare. You should give it another try. :)

Oh yea, the Arma titles are awesome and with the DayZ mod it just gets better. As for the physics of flight in FSX vs Arma they are really two different beasts and although I think it would be awesome to have realistic flight dynamics in Arma it would turn people off that didn't want to learn how to fly somewhat correctly. The flying in Arma is more arcade than realistic but its still good and I never get sick of the sound of the helis spooling up or down.

I didn't realise there were so many Arma fans on here. We should organize a FS squad and go kick some butt.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

• 4 weeks later...
It is not set in the future. There are Abrams tanks. Every Weapon and item is a real life item. I Have been playing ARMA since before it was ARMA. Back when it was Operation Flashpoint. It is modern day warfare. You should give it another try. :)

That's weird, there are definitely no Abrams in my Arma 3, maybe there was an update or addon which I missed..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived