How to Make ATC and Me Use Airport Name Instead of Code

HoggyDog

After installing a very nice freeware overhaul of FSX's horrible misrepresentation of the St. Barthélemy airport ("St. Bart's," TFFJ), I immediately set out to attempt a landing there. I set myself up at Juliana in a dingy green low-rent "Global Freightways" Caravan and filed IFR for the 10-minute trip to St. Bart's. As expected, ATC cleared me to "Saint Bart's as filed."

Imagine my surprise, then, when I got 10 miles NW of St. Bart's and tuned their traffic frequency, selected "Announce Position" and heard myself say "Tango Foxtrot Foxtrot Juliet traffic, this is ... some stupid American pilot who apparently can't pronounce Saint Bart's." :mad: :confused:

I went ahead and landed anyway, and heard another pilot call on final, also using "Tango Foxtrot Foxtrot Juliet traffic, this is..." So now I'd like to know if there's some way to make all us goofy pilots say "St. Bart's" instead.

Oh, what's that you asked? :rolleyes: How did my first landing go? Well, I had 20 knots too much speed on the first approach and went around. The second approach went like this:

Really would like to play some more around St. Bart's, but calling it by its code kinda spoils the fun for me.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Even better, you can also accelerate the voices by reducing the 'blank time' between words, making it sound ever so much nicer! :cool:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Find and download Editvoicepack. Then make the sound file to how you would like it to sound. That is what I have done in the past.

I have EditVoicePack, but since ATC at Juliana cleared me to "St. Bart's as filed" I shouldn't need to make a sound file at all- it's obviously already in FSX.

Even better, you can also accelerate the voices by reducing the 'blank time' between words, making it sound ever so much nicer! :cool:

Did that right after I ran the update to add all the airlines. ATC speechifying is much less annoying now.

I had looked for a St Barth airport before but didn't find it.. I finally found the one you

found and installed it.. Pretty realistic when I compare it to utoob real world videos..

The approach from both directions seems to be pretty accurate.

I had looked for a St Barth airport before but didn't find it.. I finally found the one you found and installed it.. Pretty realistic when I compare it to utoob real world videos.. The approach from both directions seems to be pretty accurate.

If you watched my St. Barth First Landing video below, I listed the scenery pack in the ending credits- I hope that helped you find it.

What baffles me is why the FSX representation of such a world-famous (or notorious) airport would be so completely bad, not even remotely resembling any part of the actual terrain there... :confused:

Now with that scenery pack, freeware, no less, it captures the challenge and feel of the actual Rwy 10 approach IMHO. Well worth the fiddly installation.

I installed Marc-Henri Guitteny St-Barth_TFFJ Airport and the multicom 118.45 says St Barts.

St Barts sound is not in the stock USEnglishBig.gvp but it is in EditVoicePack gvp.

Make sure you installed the bgl's in the correct folders. The author used the deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" and then added it back into the AFD TFFJ airport bgl. ATC can say cleared to St Barts as filed but that does not mean the multicom channel at St Barts will say the same if the bgl files are in the wrong place.

I downloaded his St barts from AVSIM which has a exe file for installation.

jim

What baffles me is why the FSX representation of such a world-famous (or notorious) airport would be so completely bad, not even remotely resembling any part of the actual terrain there... :confused:

One problem is default FSX doesn't do uneven runways. But also they don't tend to

spend too much time on the smaller airports. Although out of the box, St Maarten is

not too bad I guess. I think it does have a little extra scenery installed out of the box

for that airport. Now just need Lukla and a decent Mountain Aire with the sloping

runways.. :cool: I've got fairly decent scenery for Toncontin and Paro.

One problem is default FSX doesn't do uneven runways. But also they don't tend to spend too much time on the smaller airports. Although out of the box, St Maarten is not too bad I guess. I think it does have a little extra scenery installed out of the box for that airport....

Yes, Juliana wasn't too bad, the upgrade I got makes it better, but I would have preferred to see some bikini-clad lovelies hanging on to the fence on the beach across the approach end... :rolleyes:

When I checked out St. Barth's before installing the overhaul, there was no hill on the approach end of Rwy 10, and the far end of the runway did NOT dump directly into a bay. I could have lived with the lack of slope to the runway if there had been a hill almost on top of the threshold.

I've got fairly decent scenery for Toncontin

Yes, I saw that when I watched your Burger King commercial thinly disguised as flight sim video. :p Truly awesome and scary curved approach, with "DON'T SINK! DON'T SINK! TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP! PULL UP!" going off in your ears almost continuously for the last mile or two. Great scenery for a real knucklebiter of an approach. What scenery did you use there?

I installed Marc-Henri Guitteny St-Barth_TFFJ Airport and the multicom 118.45 says St Barts. [...] I downloaded his St barts from AVSIM which has a exe file for installation.

That's the same package I installed, from AVSIM, and I used the exe installer, but if you watched my St. Barth videos (I've posted two of them) you will see and hear that when I announce myself on their frequency, I say "Tango Foxtrot Foxtrot Juliet traffic, this is..." Of course, they don't answer, as would be expected on a multicom channel, so I have no way of knowing what they would call themselves if they DID happen to answer.

St Barts sound is not in the stock USEnglishBig.gvp but it is in EditVoicePack gvp.

OK, thanks for the info, but I have no idea what to do with that info.

Make sure you installed the bgl's in the correct folders.

If I knew what "the correct folders" were, I would jump on this suggestion to try to solve the annoying problem.

The author used the deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" and then added it back into the AFD TFFJ airport bgl.

*head just spins in incomprehension* :confused:

ATC can say cleared to St Barts as filed but that does not mean the multicom channel at St Barts will say the same if the bgl files are in the wrong place.

OK, could you please advise which bgl files in particular, and what the "right place" for them is?

Thanks-

Yes, I saw that when I watched your Burger King commercial thinly disguised as flight sim video. :p Truly awesome and scary curved approach, with "DON'T SINK! DON'T SINK! TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP! PULL UP!" going off in your ears almost continuously for the last mile or two. Great scenery for a real knucklebiter of an approach. What scenery did you use there?

Most times I don't get too many terrain warnings, but almost always get a warning

after the last turn and diving in for the runway.. Hard to avoid, and pretty much the

same at Paro after the S turn and diving in for that runway 15. But I guess the terrain

warnings felt like jabbering that day. You oughta see the terrain light up on the ND at

Paro when going towards the gorge, before the descending turn.. Right before the

gorge, the ND lights up in terrain technicolor.. :eek:

The Toncontin scenery is the Latin VFR payware MHTG which is pretty much a must

have, to do that airport for pretty much the same reasons as St. Barth..

The default is pretty lame. The Paro scenery I'm using is freeware though..

It's here at FS.com if you do a search. At least I think that's where I got it...

PARO Bhutan VQPR Package.zip

There is some included Himalaya Mesh you need to install in the FSX/scenery/world/

scenery folder, same as St. Barth, and the terrain will look really peculiar if you forget it.

To me, the S turn everyone talks about is pretty easy. I find the descending turn

after the gorge harder, if you want to roll out at the river at the correct speed and

altitude. Overall, I think it's harder than Toncontin as it's all visual, where as I have

the RNAV approach to Toncontin to follow, which makes it pretty easy overall.

The only real challenge at MHTG is the last appx 120 or so degree turn to the runway,

and I've never really had much trouble doing curved approaches. And you can follow the

roads for guides too.. IE: you start the turn kind of using the highway as a guide, and

want to be right about over the "flower" intersection as you are turning towards the

runway. If that's way off, you are in for some mayhem. :(

Yes, Juliana wasn't too bad, the upgrade I got makes it better, but I would have preferred to see some bikini-clad lovelies hanging on to the fence on the beach across the approach end... :rolleyes:

When I checked out St. Barth's before installing the overhaul, there was no hill on the approach end of Rwy 10, and the far end of the runway did NOT dump directly into a bay. I could have lived with the lack of slope to the runway if there had been a hill almost on top of the threshold.

Oh man, where were the babes? Even the tents at the end of the runway at St. Maarten were empty!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I installed Marc-Henri Guitteny St-Barth_TFFJ Airport and the multicom 118.45 says St Barts.

Make sure you installed the bgl's in the correct folders. The author used the deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" and then added it back into the AFD TFFJ airport bgl. ATC can say cleared to St Barts as filed but that does not mean the multicom channel at St Barts will say the same if the bgl files are in the wrong place.

I downloaded his St barts from AVSIM which has a exe file for installation.

jim

Where did you find the Guitteny software? I looked it up on the files with this forum under about three different names and didn't find it there.

HoggyDog,if you enjoy flying in that area try googling "striking software",it is the same site where you get FSWC, they offer freeware PW Scenery that covers most of the region in the Islands.Check it out if you get a chance,you may find something you like.

Where did you find the Guitteny software? I looked it up on the files with this forum under about three different names and didn't find it there.

At the risk of committing unadulterated redundancy, I posted where I got it exactly 3 posts before the one where you asked where to get it. Specifically, I said "That's the same package I installed, from AVSIM." Normally, reading a thread before posting questions wastes less monitor ink. :D

So, based on what I said before you asked the question, I would surmise that I got it from AVSIM. The file name is st-barth_fsx.zip. Here's a direct link to it.

At the risk of committing unadulterated redundancy, I posted where I got it exactly 3 posts before the one where you asked where to get it. Specifically, I said "That's the same package I installed, from AVSIM." Normally, reading a thread before posting questions wastes less monitor ink. :D

So, based on what I said before you asked the question, I would surmise that I got it from AVSIM. The file name is st-barth_fsx.zip. Here's a direct link to it.

Thanks so much for wasting monitor ink on me. And yes providing a link is the way many of us communicate about specific sites. There was so much him & haw, cut and paste in post #10 that I doubt that many of us really understood what you were saying. Much less being able to retrieve any useful site information from the post

We're obviously not all as adroit at comprehension of communication as you seem to believe you are.

Archived