Need your advise...

av8ersteve

Hey all. Real quick. I'm building a new computer and my goal is to make flight sim x to run its best, my biggest question is what operating system ? I have read soooo much on windows crashing and compatible problems I'm just wondering what you all think. Windows Xp, 7, or 8. I know 8.1 will not work, at least that's what I've read. I just want a puter that will run this sim wide open. I know what hardware I need, just need advice on the windows version. Thanks

Agree completely with Darrell.

A few hours ago I posted this:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?289344-Win7-got-my-FS-to-run-better/page2

which is my opinionated opinion of Win 8.1.

Install FSX outside the default location at C:\Program Files (x86) - mine is on a different hard drive at F:\1FSX - and get uiautomationcore.dll fix (search the threads for this), and you should be good to go.

Jorgen

Personally, since you asked, just one persons opinion, for what its worth....

I like Win 7 (64 bit).

I had Win 8 for a while but removed it without trying FSX on it, didn't care for it.

XP (64 bit) was a good os, and ran FSX just fine for me, but I dont know if its going to be as compatible with state of the art hardware.

(4/16/19) ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop. I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, FSX:SE, Oculus rift, Windows 10

(Built 03/08): GA-EP35C-DS3R, Q6600 (oc=3.4Ghz), 8GB (4x2) DDR2 1066, Corsair 850W, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; FSX Gold+Accel+REX+UTXUSA+UTXTAC+MegaSc MN

Welcome to the forum...

I'd love to go back to XP but it's a little long in the tooth now. You'll start to see a myriad of driver issues with modern hardware.

I've run FSX on both 7 and 8.1 and, honestly, I don't see any real difference between the two. It runs problem-free for me on either OS.

I'm now back to 7 as I just can't stand the UI with either 8 or 8.1.

My vote is Windows 7 64-bit.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Welcome to the forum...

I'd love to go back to XP but it's a little long in the tooth now. You'll start to see a myriad of driver issues with modern hardware.

I've run FSX on both 7 and 8.1 and, honestly, I don't see any real difference between the two. It runs problem-free for me on either OS.

I'm now back to 7 as I just can't stand the UI with either 8 or 8.1.

My vote is Windows 7 64-bit.

Doug

What he said. I think the biggest question with FSX is how fast is your CPU? Faster, not bigger, is better. Use the 64 bit OS that works best for you. Spend your money on CPU and ram speed.

And yes, don't bury FSX in "Games." Make a totally new FSX folder and put it there.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks guys. I was scared of 8.1 due to all the threads I had read about it wasn't supported with flight sim. I have played around with windows 7 a little and i think I'll start there. I have an unlocked i5-4690K cpu and an Asus maximus hero Vii mobo with a Corsair H60 hydro cooler so I can play around with overclocking. Just wasn't sure about these newer operating systems. I still have XP but no more updates come so I know it's time to move on. Thanks once again.

Thanks guys. I was scared of 8.1 due to all the threads I had read about it wasn't supported with flight sim. I have played around with windows 7 a little and i think I'll start there. I have an unlocked i5-4690K cpu and an Asus maximus hero Vii mobo with a Corsair H60 hydro cooler so I can play around with overclocking. Just wasn't sure about these newer operating systems. I still have XP but no more updates come so I know it's time to move on. Thanks once again.

I haven't dealt with 8.1, so I can't advise you there. Otherwise it looks like you're on the right track. Remember a lot of ram or even a hot GPU really doesn't help much with the old FSX. CPU clock speed is sadly still the holy grail. And if your CPU is doing 4700K you're pretty much already there.

I'm really hoping FSX Steam will bring FSX up to date with current technology! However, I never buy the first year of any newly introduced model of car. I like to let the "I got it first" guys live with and correct all the early example bugs.

That's exactly how I feel with software as well. So hopefully the eager beavers will get the bugs worked out of FSX Steam & we can all actually move into the 21st century technology without too many software issues.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived