C172 Home Cockpit

oliver1234

Hi all,

I am about to start a 'mini' home cockpit project based on the C172. It's not going to be great, ie not exact like this one: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2TeYWUq7EbU/maxresdefault.jpg, but more like this one: https://fsxtimes.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/best-setup-2011-1124ws.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1

I am going to have a USB keyboard to control switches such as the lights, pitot etc.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a C172 panel, that could be made at home (DIY)

Any help, ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

The first one you know is the Macbare Cessna 172 panel. Costs about $3,200 US.Have you checked out the Cessna 172 panel on Ebay? I have one on order for $3,450.It is made in Missori.It is very similar to the Macbare one.

• 4 weeks later...

I am using the plans from SimSmurai to build the CS-1 Stallion and so far it is looking pretty good. My first panel will be a C-172 using a yoke, switch panel and a 22 inch monitor for the instruments. I am going to purchase the radio stack but I am not sure which one I am going to buy at this point in time.

This is a picture of where I am currently at in the build process.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your input ifrjunkie, I am not really impressed with the Saitek line of instruments but the simkits instruments look far better. I am taking this slowly and will evolve as time goes by. I don't want to spend a lot of money up front but slowly dole it out so I can keep the little woman happy. I want to develop a C-172 glass cockpit then have a old style analog instrument panel that is interchangeable.

I'd rather have a monitor to display the instruments than that overpriced stuff that doesn't even look too real.

With that said, you may want to look into a PVC foam board such as the one below for your panel,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-SINTRA-PVC-FOAM-BOARD-PLASTIC-SHEETS-1-4-6mm-24-X-48-/281456922970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418823d15a

It's easy to cut, shape and paint. Ideally, I would cut holes into it and mount a monitor behind it. You could also use an MDF board, but that material takes more prepping to paint. You'd have to spray it with shellac at least two coats, prime it with two coasts and then paint.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

This is all about increasing your level of immersion...right? Take it steady,,,evolve your pit consider a very cheap android tablet and putting gauges on that for a start.

Look up Vineripe software they do a set of exported instruments called Flight guage

https://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightgauge/

That way you can be up and running in a few hours.

Good luck what ever your do

• 2 weeks later...

Well to each his/her own. First time I took it serious was a long time ago and when with the f-4 style throttle and stick plus thrust masters ruder peddles and the PC Card for hooking up everything. Iirc the stick plunged into the throttle then that was plugged in to one of the serial ports on the card the peddles was plugged in to the other card. It was nice if the PC could power the fs software and have enough power left for the game card.

Next was the ch yoke it was serial also so with what I had I had options and it was nice then PC stop having serial ports or even PC Card slots. So I went thru several things the sim got better and the pcs got much better. At the time I had limited mobility post a motorcycle accident. I ordered the Saitek switch, radio and multi panel. The radio craps out but is replaces so I ordered the second so not so much switch the channel one for comm 1 and nav1 two for comm2, nav2,add,me,and xponder. Later came the bip so I grabbed it and the trim wheel. I had the yoke, throttle and second throttle and rudder already.

I move to a new destination an begin to build a muscle PC for fsx, i7cpu, z97 me, GeForce gtx 680 GPS, liquid cooler, 850wpsu etc topping it off with three Asus 24" wide LCD monitors on a three wide mount. It worked but things happened and it got ignored.

Next in to I order a wheel stand pro for fsx to mount the your, peddles and panels on I needed some additional stuff for the trim wheel and the tq.but the PC started acting weird so I do some quick checking and thing the PSU has died. Get the new now under warranty and no joy tried isolating everything so I'm not sure if it's the CPU or the my will figure out later. I have two hp envy DV-7s that alone runs fsx great from my testing.

I bought a VRInsight ProPit used and plan on a three by two wall of displays top three external view, bottom row will be ProPit in the center TV/monitor to the lower left and a second gauge panel on the lower right. It would be that way now except the PC died using the laptop(s) I going to add the maxtor thripple2go unit next month one to start with. Then connect the top row to it the lower row I'll use the ProPit plus the laptop screen to start I might add in the other laptop for additional panels or to lighten the load on the ProPit.

I've bought some switches and wire and one plug n play board and one of the better brod boards and will start building my universal twin prop panel.

My favorite two planes right now are the beaver for a single prop bush plan and its big brother the twin otter extended both from aerosoft. I can control the beaver with the Saitek gear except the GPS if I use the ProPit and get it working with the bever I will be able to fly cold/dark to cold/dark without using the Kbps and mouse if I advoid the act comm.

The things I'm working to add to the to uni ppl is the two upper outer pals and some of the center stuff. Then eventually I'll add stuff for the atc window, I've got ideas.

But I'm getting either the Saitek x52pro or the x55pro might get both test and send back the lesser of the two.that might allow some intermediary controls . I'm not building a accurate pit of any one AC. In fact I'm only building a sim pit because of my limit room in my RV. But I want to eventually be able to fly and AC that I desire cold/dark to cold/dark fixed and rotary wing alike.

My next bulky project will probably be a center console got the tq, trim and switche panels I plan on building. I figure they will be built in stages or versions the first a simple button box type for the require operations I'm interested in then to a layout panel but noting fancy, just pin striping and labels on a suitable material. Next will come a backlit fancy panel with paper and clear sheet layouts. If lucky I'll get them cut professionally. I may be selling some of these intermetiary panels to be able to buy more supplies.

Archived