(FSX) Freeware GA Aircraft With Excellent Forward Visibility

Elvensmith

Thought I'd post this in here as it's more of a chat thing than technical. Having just read the "Silver Argosy" feature got to thinking this might be a nice scenic tour of Western and Southern USA, however as I usually fly the big iron in FSX I'm not overly familiar with what's what in the GA field. The main thing I'm looking for is a good GA aircraft (single or twin but not microlight) with mimimal dashboard/control panel obstructing the forward view. It kind of defeats the point using the default Cessna where 3/4 of the screen is obstructed by the panel.

In addition I would prefer some sort of autopilot so I can hands off the stick while I cruise and view. I know from Googling the subject there's a payware company called Realair who do (fictional?) GA aircraft called Legacy or Scout, but quite pricey (given I'm not a 100% GA person) and in the first instance looking for something freeware and from FS.com.

Vern.

Look in the library here for Tim "Piglet" Conrad,most of his GA freeware are excellent,for quality payware stuff,like you mentioned,Realair is great,A2A Simulations is as good as it gets with their accu-sim equipped birds. Carenado/Alabeo are also great but these are all payware birds. Mostly,if you see a freeware aircraft you might like,try it,you can always un-install if you don't care for it. Best of luck.

Also once your autopilot is turned on and you are in your cruisin' for a bruisin' mode, most freeware GA aircraft have a 2D panel that when you hit the W key once or twice will give you a total 100% unobstructed view of your scenery.

This Skymaster is one of my favorite freeware GA aircraft.

Skymaster.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

There are also some good GA singles (PA-46 Malibu) and Twins (Beechcraft Duke) by Paul Craig, that are here in the File Library.

:pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

You could try my Planet Satellite...its for FS9 but will port over to FSX. No autopilot, but its quite stable once trimmed out. Its available here, just search for planet satellite.

HTH

Keith

Keith,

The Satellite piqued my interest, so I'll give it a try!

On the same lines, take a peek at the Lockheed Model 34 "Big Dipper"... it's here in the Library.

Thanks!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Greetings Elvensmith,

Realair who do (fictional?) GA aircraft called Legacy or Scout, but quite pricey (given I'm not a 100% GA person) and in the first instance looking for something freeware and from FS.com.

The RealAir Legacy and Scout, both real- world aircraft, are a blast to fly and currently only 25 euros/15 Euros respectively (about $26/$16 US) at their site: http://www.http://realairsimulations.com - hardly pricey in my book. Especially since the flight dynamics are awesome and they are capable of side-slips and spins. If you need a faster ship, their SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 is also 15 Euros...

Respectfully,

Brian

I did a model of a home-built design from the 70's a while back that has great visibility (but no autopilot).

It's here in the library...https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=168423

2012-8-18_16-8-16-546.jpg

2013-7-17_18-32-13-957.jpg

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Keith,

The Satellite piqued my interest, so I'll give it a try!

On the same lines, take a peek at the Lockheed Model 34 "Big Dipper"... it's here in the Library.

Thanks!

Alan :pilot:

Thanks Alan, Thats one (of many) aircraft I've not heard of before, so will give it a try.

N2056....Very nice scenery...whose is it?

Keith

You need the Edgley Optica:

http://www.classicwings.net/edgley_optica.html

(click the "FSX" button just above the picture to download. Repaints are available here and there, quite a few at OZx)

Now that's kind of neat. Reminds me of the craft they used in the movie "Slipstream", I can see a veritable stable of GA aircraft accumulating in my hangar at this rate!

Vern.

I did a model of a home-built design from the 70's a while back that has great visibility (but no autopilot).

It's here in the library...https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=168423

H,

it is a very fine and interesting model. I only have troubles with taxiing because the bug wheel didn't move and there is no tailwheel_lock :(

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

H,

it is a very fine and interesting model. I only have troubles with taxiing because the bug wheel didn't move and there is no tailwheel_lock :(

It is set up to use differential braking for steering. You can edit the aircraft.cfg file to have direct steering. Here is the modified line in the contact points section - replace 180 with 40 as shown.

point.0= 1, 5.727, 0.000, -3.395, 1500, 0, 0.433, 40.000, 0.050, 2.500, 0.900, 1.500, 1.500, 0

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Thank you very much for answering,

I read this in the readme but i didn't understand the meaning of "use differential braking for steering"

Now I have done so as you said and it works properly:)

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Paul Craig also offered a very fine Piper Arrow a month or so prior to his twins. Craig's draw-back, as I recall, is that he doesn't do panels, he aliases existing default panels, so your going to have to search and download a 2D panel for any of his aircraft, I believe. If what you are trying to find is the ideal "low and slow" sightseeing machine, the good old Cub, or it's cousin, the Champ, are ideal. Lots of visibility and minimum panels. Something faster... look for a good "V" tail Bonanza, or something like that. Good hunting, and pick the right aircraft and you'll say goodbye to tubes forever!.

Archived