Taxi and Landing Lights

efpg0708

Hi guys. I did some research here on the forum as was able to add taxi lights to the default 738. However, how can I turn them on one at a time ? My landing light switch is turning them on both at the same time, and the taxi light switch does nothing.

Thanks

Eduardo

There are a lot of light switches available in the FSX SDK. You can take advantage of the additional switches and if you don't have panel graphics for them, you can create or download light switches or learn their key commands.

[lights]

Each light that requires a special effect should be entered in this section. The following table gives the codes for the switches that will turn on the lights.

Code Switch

1 Beacon

2 Strobe

3 Navigation or Position

4 Cockpit

5 Landing

6 Taxi

7 Recognition

8 Wing

9 Logo

10 Cabin

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

There are a lot of light switches available in the FSX SDK. You can take advantage of the additional switches and if you don't have panel graphics for them, you can create or download light switches or learn their key commands.

[lights]

Each light that requires a special effect should be entered in this section. The following table gives the codes for the switches that will turn on the lights.

Code Switch

1 Beacon

2 Strobe

3 Navigation or Position

4 Cockpit

5 Landing

6 Taxi

7 Recognition

8 Wing

9 Logo

10 Cabin

-Pv-

Hi. Thanks for your answer. I have a 737NG home cockpit with a overhead panel, however, my light switch isn't wired. So I'd want to create a key command to turn it on and off. How can I do that ?

Thanks !

Hi,

I found "fsx_b737-800_fixer.zip" over at AVSIM. I copied the filename from zippy's post but searching at AVsim couldn't find it. I Googled it found a forum reference to the same named file, copied and pasted it into Search and it found the file. The file names look identical to me.

Jim F.

I found "fsx_b737-800_fixer.zip" over at AVSIM. I copied the filename from zippy's post but searching at AVsim couldn't find it.

The Avsim search engine can be kinda fussy.

If you accidentally copy a trailing space and paste it in the file name box the search engine will not find it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

[lights]

Code Switch

1 Beacon

2 Strobe

3 Navigation or Position

4 Cockpit

5 Landing

6 Taxi

7 Recognition

8 Wing

9 Logo

10 Cabin

-Pv-

Hi Paul. Where in the SDK are these switch definitions? I have never seen them. Thanks. Bob.

In the AVSIM library..... fsx_b737-800_fixer.zip

Just my $0.02 worth: thank you for this tip! I had read that the problems with the default 738 lights couldn't be fixed, so I resigned myself to the immersion-breaking ridiculosity :p of the built-in bugs.

I installed fsx_b737-800_fixer.zip and it worked perfectly- I now have individual control over landing and taxi lights using the overhead panel switches, my LL switch is no longer reversed and my nose-gear-mounted taxi light now correctly extinguishes on its own when I retract the gear instead of inanely remaining on, hanging there in space under the nose, even though the gear is up.

As info, I use Shockwave lights on the 738, so I edited their placement in accordance with the cfg snippet provided in this mod, and they look great.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

...my nose-gear-mounted taxi light now correctly extinguishes on its own when I retract the gear instead of inanely remaining on...

Hmmm, they do not auto-extinguish for me...

Capture.JPG

...maybe that is how that kid stayed warm.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hmmm, they do not auto-extinguish for me...

...maybe that is how that kid stayed warm.

While I admire your humanitarian instinks :p I do not tolerate stowaways in my gearwells. To make them less inviting to nefarious ramp agents, I insist that my hot taxi lights go off when the gear comes up.

Observe and be amazed! If you hit the little YouTube icon at the bottom right of the screen below instead of pounding the arrow in the middle, you can see it full-screen High Def so that the landing gear is more visible:

For a small donation in untraceable Romanian copeks :confused: I could be persuaded to tell you why yours aren't working. Yes, I know, I share your amazement that I know something that you don't. :)

OK, OK, fine. As I mentioned, I'm using Shockwave Lights. Here's my Aircraft.cfg setup for them:

[LIGHTS]        
Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing,  [color="#FF0000"]6=taxi[/color]
light.0 = 3, -24.60, -57.50,  3.90, fx_shockwave_navred ,
light.1 = 3, -24.60,  57.50,  3.90, fx_shockwave_navgre ,
light.2 = 2, -71.32,   0.00,  5.92, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl , // tailcone strobe
light.3 = 2, -25.50, -58.30,  4.20, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_2 ,
light.4 = 2, -25.50,  58.30,  4.20, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_3 ,
light.5 = 2,  -7.55,   0.00, -5.50, fx_shockwave_beaconb ,
light.6 = 1,   2.00,   0.00,  8.70, fx_shockwave_beaconh ,
light.7 = 4,  47.60,   0.00,  3.00, fx_shockwave_vclight_l ,
light.8 = 3, -29.00, -56.60,  3.70, fx_shockwave_navwhi_l_nl ,
light.9 = 3, -29.00,  56.60,  3.70, fx_shockwave_navwhi_l_nl ,
light.10 = 5,  5.60,   7.28, -1.47, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow	// Shockwave light
light.11 = 5,  5.60,  -7.28, -1.47, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow	// Shockwave light
light.12 = [color="#FF0000"]6, 41.85,   0.00, -6.80, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_double	// Shockwave taxi light on nose gear[/color]
light.13 = 5, 36.00,   0.00,-18.00, fx_shockwave_landing_light_light,

Now check your Gauges folder for Shockwave_Lights.cab and see if it contains all 5 of the xml gauges that shipped with the latest Shockwave Lights Redux update from A2A:

FSX_Shockwave_Lights_Dot_CAB.png

I suspect that yours contains only 3 of them, notably missing the Lights_taxi_gear one. The way to get your nose-gear taxi lights to auto-extinguish on gear retraction is to be sure they are Type 6 in aircraft.cfg, then add the Lights_taxi_gear gauge in your panel.cfg, like this:

[vcockpit01]
gauge29=shockwave_lights!SW Lights,  1,1,1,1 //shockwave light (wing root landing lights)
[color="#FF0000"]gauge30=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear,  1,1,1,1 //shockwave light (nose gear taxi light)[/color]

Obviously, the 2nd line above can't possibly work if that gauge is not present in the Shockwave_Lights.cab file (don't ask me how I know this :mad: ). However, as you can see if you watched my short video above, it definitely DOES work on the default 738 once fsx_b737-800_fixer.zip is installed, Shockwave_Lights.cab contains the Lights_taxi_gear gauge, and the Shockwave Lights callouts in both Aircraft.cfg and Panel.cfg are correct.

Note: When your taxi light is auto-extinguished by gear retraction, it will NOT automatically come back on when you lower the gear- you have to manually turn it on once the gear is down if you want it on.

[CUE APPLAUSE]

Send my Copeks to John Q. Public, 123 Main Street, Anytown, U.S.A., and feel free to watch my stunning night takeoff video again. No charge for repeat customers. ;)

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

I'm impressed!;) I have a much simpler solution. I turn my taxi light off when stopped at the runway hold position then turn on the landing lights as I position myself for takeoff. After landing and pulling off the runway, I stop, turn off the landing lights and turn on the taxi light. Works like a charm every time.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'm impressed!;) I have a much simpler solution. I turn my taxi light off when stopped at the runway hold position then turn on the landing lights as I position myself for takeoff. After landing and pulling off the runway, I stop, turn off the landing lights and turn on the taxi light. Works like a charm every time.

Hi. Did you menage to separate the landing lights from the taxi lights using the fixer file ?

Hi. Did you menage to separate the landing lights from the taxi lights using the fixer file ?

No, I don't fly the default 737-800. I have 3 POSKY aircraft that have it separated already.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived