Stupid question -- ORBX products?

brian_vancouver

Hello,

I'm a new FTX user and not terribly computer savvy. My question has to do with ORBX product selection. I would like to improve the overall terrain and need advice as to which product(s) would be required.

Specifically:

1. (FTX Global Base; and FTX Global Vector): Is there a need/benefit in having both products? If not, what is the relative benefit(s) of each? And;

2. (FTX PNW): I am in in Pacific northwest region -- Is there a need/benefit for this package on top of FTX Global?

I haven't been able to find answers at the ORBX site.

Thanks for any help,

Brian

Hi brian,

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!

ORBX provides a wealth of information regarding their products but for some reason I can never find anything. At least until I stumble on it. I wonder what that says about me.

There's a definitive guide listed at the bottom of the first post of this thread:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

You may have to register to download it. I'm registered there but I still had to click a "Log in" button.

I found this buried at the bottom of page 29 of the guide:

"FTX Global Base Pack IS NOT required for FTX Full Region packs (which are fully standalone)."

I'm pretty sure PNW qualifies as a Full region pack.

Starting on page 12 of the guide is a pretty good overview of the relationship of the different FSX scenery files.

Jim F.

PNW will provide a lot of stuff within the Pacific Northwest region that the Global stuff doesn't give you, including a lot of detail at airports and some additional scenery through the rest of the area. So yes you'll benefit if you get the PNW, within that region, but the global stuff covers the rest of the world, too.

And, as Jim says, PNW is stand-alone -- with it you'll have the same in that area whether you get the global stuff or not. The difference is everywhere else.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hey, Brian.

I just got ORBX Global a few days ago and I must confess I've since downloaded the Vector, Papua New Guinea, Sedona AZ and HD trees additions. No terrain regions yet but I couldn't be happier with the improvements to the scenery provided by global, vector, trees, and the individual airports.

You should also know that ORBX offers a free demo of the PNW region so that is probably a great place to start if you're interested in that area. You can't miss the link to the demo at the top of the ORBX website.

Hope that helps.

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

Further to my post do you know where I can get Vector\FTX\Vector_cvx\scenery It is an ORBX file. Everything I try with ORBX I get the message that this file is missing. I am 78yrs old and maybe I'm too old for flt sim.

Billt

Will,

For a different problem, it's usually best to start a new thread. However, you might include information on what ORBX products you have. However it sounds as if you at least have Vector (which I've not seen). And is that an actual file or a folder? I suspect it's intended to be a folder, going by the name. So you can create that folder, but in order to get anything in it you'd need to reinstall, I suspect.

As to looking at posts on the ORBX forums, you first need to login to the forums, as indicated on this page.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks but that didn't do it for me. I don't know where this file is or what it does. Anyhow I decided to re-install my FSX. ORBX seems to work better with FSX. I have higher graphic selections and higher frame rate. I don't think ORBX is very well suited to Prepar2.5.

Bill

Thank you all for the helpful information. As usual, it leads me to another question.

What is the purpose of the "Global" versus "Vector" packages -- what benefits are provided by each? is it logical to purchase one ahead of the other?

Again, my apologies for my naivety,

Regards,

Brian

Hi brian,

Page 18 of the guide I referenced earlier explains it pretty clearly. I don't know what part is not clear to you. But, in short, Global is the geography, and Vector is more detailed features, roads, lakes etc.

There are a lot of things that go into creating this simulation and it takes awhile to get a feel for the different elements. The SDK covers this as well and using the tools such as TmfViwer can be fun as well as informative.

Jim F.

And, as Jim says, PNW is stand-alone -- with it you'll have the same in that area whether you get the global stuff or not. The difference is everywhere else.

I will have to correct you here.

Global gives optimal fixes and sharpness and covers entire world.It does not add new scenery in terms of objects.PNW optimizes specified area with more scenery objects and enhances airports.

They do not give the same effect in specified area, they are designed for different purposes.

***LOGO DESIGNER NEEDED***

CHECK THIS THREAD PLEASE: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?289463-Looking-for-a-logo

They do not give the same effect in specified area, they are designed for different purposes.

Apparently you misunderstood my post -- read it again. "That area" referred to the PNW area: To rephrase, if he has PNW, that PNW area will look the same whether he has global stuff or not. I didn't say that the global stuff would make PNW look the same with or without PNW.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Brian

Orbx PNW Pacific Northwest - Portland Or to Bella Bella, BC

ORBX PFJ Pacific Fjords - From Bella Bella BC to Wrangell AK

FSADDONS Tongass Fjords- Wrangell to Juneau Ak

ORBX SAK Southern Alaska- Juneau to Anchorage AK

Seamless transition and spectacular scenery. No global software required.

Bruce -Vancouver Island

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Archived