Connecting Galaxy S5 android phone GPS to FSX adn Window 7

mepdraft

Hi folks

I have installed in my Galaxy S5 a marine GPS ( I am into boating on FSX also) and the program "You are here GPS" to get GPS location from FSX via USB connection.

I am running registered version of FSUIPC, and I need information on how to get the communication going between the two.

From my research, my problem is getting window 7 to recognize my USB connection as a "com port"

From my android phone, I have a OTG cable, then a USB "Data link cable" When I connect to my computer, it sets it up and a data link, not a com port connection.

Has anybody managed to make the connection from android phone to FSUIPC GPSout?

There is a long post on the program "Flight Aware" and Android tablets, but there does not seem to be any information on how to get the two to communicate on a window 7 OS.

Can anybody help me with this?

Michel

Thanks for the link Tokermax

But I have already posted my question to Pete. He probably did not remember the post, but the problem remains.

In the post, Woodpeker talks about a "prolific com port" What is this and how is it created?

All I get in my device manager when I connect my USB data transfer cable is a "Transfer cable devise" not a com port or a "Prolific com port".

Michel

It might be simpler for you to use a program designed for the purpose: Gmap, Flightmap or FsMovMap.

Of the three, Gmap is the most expensive, but it also provides sectional charts (for the U.S.), ONCs for U.S. and Canada (and others, I think), as well as a satellite view and a Google maps-like map.

Flightmap provides a speed indicator (ground, not air speed), altimeter and DG, along with fuel gauges (all fed from FS), as well as a satellite view and the Google-like map.

FsMovMap (there's a free version, as well as a pay version) also offers the Google-like map and satellite view.

All three use wifi for communications with a small server running on your PC and an app on your tablet. And all three seem to have the same accuracy -- from zoomed way in to zoomed way out, they all show the same spot on the satellite and Google-like maps when in the same spot in FS -- I've run two at a time (on my two separate tablets, one 7" one 10") in most combinations and find that I particularly like to run Gmap with its sectional showing and Flightmap with its "hybrid" view (that is satellite view with overlaid roads) together -- a wonderful combo.

I've only had FsMovMap since yesterday, so haven't yet explored it thoroughly, though. And note that I didn't mention ALL the features of any of the programs -- there's lots more. Note that all three work just as well with Prepar3d. And check out the links above to each for a more complete feature list.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Top Gun

I am already using GMap (free version which shows my position on Google) which is great except for one thing. I know that there is all these different program for "flyers" that gives all the required elevation and airport information for pilots. But what I am looking for is a GPS that will give me water depth information for doing motor boating.

I have all I need except for how to configure my PC to read my USB connection as "com port". You know the phrase "So close Yet so far" I am pretty sure there is a way to do it, but just have not found somebody to explain how in laymans tern rather that computer savvy terms.

Here is a link I found that may have the answer, but the terminology is out of my "computer knowledge " skills:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540196(v=vs.85).aspx

Michel

Tokermax

I am running GMap thru simconnect on second computer. it works just great, except if I try to connect GMap while I am loading a flight, it tends to crash FSX. I need to wait until flight is open, then I connect GMap

Michel

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

For whoever is interested, I have finally connected FSX to my GPS on my Android phone.

I am using the GPU526W6 USP Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, which has multi language capability, thereby creating a com port in my PC device manager.

On my phone I am using the app "Bluetooth GPS" by GG Mobab.

The one thing that is important is to set baud rate at 4800 in the FSUIPS GPSout screen NOT 9600.

This should work with any GPS app on the Android phone.

I have tested it out with my "Navigator Lite" app, (since I wanted marine charts showing water depth} and I have also checked it out with Google earth on my phone.

Michel E Paquette

Archived