The world's most extreme runways

BS616

According to the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20150331-the-worlds-most-extreme-runways

The Tenzing-Hillary airport is listed under Lukla in P3D.

Also the photo shows the runway ending at a cliff. It doesn't in P3D, probably not located quite right.

SABA is there, but P3D dumps you into a meadow. Either slew to the airport or do as I did and taxi an amphibian into the water then fly around to find the airport.

for the most part, P3D has kept the same database that FSX used and has some of the same issues. I don't know if it's available for P3D but Aerosoft made a great Lukla for FSX.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I was wondering when/if the database had been updated, I'm not too concerned it seems pretty good where I live airports, roads and railroads seem quite accurate and all the mountains are in the right place though major power lines less so. Of course nothing has changed much in the last 10 years.

I think a lot depends on your type of flying. If you fly low and slow vfr looking for landmarks, you'd be much more critical of the database than if you were flying tubes at FL30.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Well I'm in the IFF phase right now, things are starting to come back, but I have to keep looking things up to remember how to do something, I haven't been above 8,000 AGL yet ;). But yeah the world looks a lot different from way up there. It would be nice to see some real work done on the db like correcting mistakes adding more objects like water tanks (the water tank near me seems to attract pilots especially military pilots that like to buzz us during their mountain flying practice)...maybe when/if the move to 64 bit is made it will motivate doing this since out of memory errors will be much less of a problem.

Unfortunately the Lukla scenery doesn't seem to have been updated since FS9. I seem to remember there were some pretty decent tools for editing FSX airports/runways I wonder if any of them work in P3D, I'll have to check that out once I'm back up to speed.

A product called UTX is what you need. It puts the "stuff" like arenas, water towers, etc in the right places.

Vic

P3D Rig

You are absolutely correct about SABA; the default rway is behind trees. There is freeware that fixes this beautifully. Do a FSX file search for sabaadex.zip. The readme gives the simple installation instructions. Also you might be interested in nearby Princess Juliana Airport (TNCM) in Saint Marteen where final approach goes right over the tourist sunbathers. I like to fly there from saba. The file is also freeware tncm_c1_0.zip.

Archived