FSX: How to Steer During Pushback?

HoggyDog

I have read (somewhere- forgot where) that I should be able to steer in FSX as I'm being pushed back by pressing 1 for left and 2 for right. However, this doesn't work at all. Absolutely nothing happens when I press and/or hold 1 or 2 during pushback regardless of whether I use the regular keyboard numbers or the NumPad numbers.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to steer in FSX during pushback, and if so, how?

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

The response is not instantaneous. The plane will back up about 1/2 a wingspan before the turn starts.

Use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, not the keypad.

BTW, 3 stops pushback and 4 stops the turn, plane will continue straight back.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I Have also found that if you need to do a straight pushback, as soon as you have traveled far enough to clear obstacles, and will be in proper position for a turn, you can do the Shiftt+P+1 or 2 while the aircraft is moving.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have read (somewhere- forgot where) that I should be able to steer in FSX as I'm being pushed back by pressing 1 for left and 2 for right. However, this doesn't work at all. Absolutely nothing happens when I press and/or hold 1 or 2 during pushback regardless of whether I use the regular keyboard numbers or the NumPad numbers.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to steer in FSX during pushback, and if so, how?

Pressing 1 or 2 ONCE right after you started pushback with Shift+P tells the tug to push you to the left or to the right. The plane will travel a few meters backwards then turn 90 degrees on its own accord. This is a bit like RW, where your gear is locked and you cannot steer at all. Do not press anything else inbetween or it will not work.

The response is not instantaneous. The plane will back up about 1/2 a wingspan before the turn starts.

The turn initiates when the nose gear is at the point where the main gear was when you pressed "1" or "2". 1/2 a wingspan is about the same I guess.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

• 9 months later...

Using the top number row 1,2,3,4, etc depending on how many are programmed for the aircraft do sub-events after the last event performed.

Pushback (Shift+P) Engages Pushback Mode. 1-Left, 2-Right, 3- Stops, 4-Stop Turn Continue Straight. (Turns can be immediate or delayed after starting roll depending on Aircraft size. You don't have to hit SHIFT+P+2, Shift+P+3 every time you want to turn. If you hit any joystick button, view pan, or anything after Shift P then that becomes the "last event"

Doors (Shift+E) 1-Main Door, 2-Cargo Doors, 3-Aux Doors/(C-130 Ramp, Rear Troop Doors)

Press E then press 1= #1 Engine, E then 2= #2 Engine, etc.

With Multiengine a/c I personally like to start each engine individually. A start up sequence would be as such: E+1, Joystick Hot Key (Engine Start), Eng 1 turns over. E+2, Joystick Hot Key (Engine Start), Engine 2 turns over. Once all engines are started press E one more time to sync all Engines to next command especially for throttle. Failure to activate all engines when throttling will only throttle last activated Engine. Which is also a technique when turning an a/c on a dime.

You may have more functions you did not know until now. Hope this helps.

I found 'steering' during pushback (using shift P) was a 'hit and miss' so downloaded and installed Rob Barendregt's Pushback/Taxispeed Control gauge https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=105591

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I just tried it again. Shift + P starts and stops movement. After movement starts push 1 turn left, 2 turn right. This system does not work on taildraggers. (at least I can't get it to work)

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

My default DC-3 responds well to Shift+P+1 and Shift+P+2. I can only speak for default or 3rd party freeware addons. Make sure your tail wheel is locked. It's between you and the developer for payware aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Don't hold down the 1 or 2 key. As the plan is being pushed back simply press 1 if you want the nose to turn to the right or 2 of you want it to turn left. Don't hold them down.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Hello

If you are familiar with the installation of third party gauges, then this is what you need.

There are two downloads to consider.

I have been using Rob's push back gauge for years now.

FSX - FSX Panels!

FSX Gauges--Ground Handling

[ Download | View ]

Name: rcbgh-50.zip

Size: 457,634 Date: 10-23-2006 Downloads: 11,095

FSX Gauges--Pushback, Taxi Speed Control, etc. This archive contains v5.0 of the author's "ground handling" gauges, like automated pushback with conversation sounds, a taxispeed controller using throttle and brake settings, and more. It can added to any aircraft. New in v5.0: 1. Only for FSX; 2. Accurate interworking with the new FSX pushback tugs; 3. reworked brakes gauge; 4. taxi speed gauge now has a built-in ARM function. Easy to install, and fully documented. By Rob Barendregt.

DOWNLOAD 2.

THIS IS OPTIONAL!!!!!!! BUT ADDS AN ICON FOR SELECTING THE PBGAUGE FROM YOUR COCKPIT.(THE BEST OPTION REALLY ,YOU DONT WANT TO HAVE TO GO IN AND OUT OF FULLSCREEN MODE TO SELECT IT ,THAT equals TEDIUM ,ALTHOUGH THE THE GAUGE FUNCTIONS EQUALLY WELL HOWEVER)

FSX - FSX Panels

FSX Gauges--Pushback/Taxispeed Control

[ Download | View ]

Name: rcbgh50a.zip

Size: 71,667 Date: 11-01-2006 Downloads: 4,425

FSX Gauges--Pushback, Taxispeed Control, etc. This package is an optional add-on to archive RCBGH-50.ZIP and contains a solution to open/close the ground handling window via a permanently visible Icon. Prior installation of RCBGH-50.ZIP is required. By Rob Barendregt.

Add Comment

Differential brakes. Whether using separate brake pedals with the rudder set or a pushing differential brake, whichever brake you use will decide the inside wheel of the turn. (Think zero steer mower or skid track loader.) If you apply the inside wheel brake until you're lined up as you wish then you can just release it and the plane will continue straight backwards in the new direction..
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived