Grounded for a while..

miloguy

G'day ..

I think I'm going to take a break from fsx for a while..

at least for a couple months as I'm almost ready to build

a new fsx /p3d only pc..

I want to get at least the Nvidia GTX 980 ,hopefully with 4 gigs

but not sure on what mother board to get ? or case etc...

would like to be at least 4 ghz , or over clocked.. currently my pc now is 3 gigs..

so maybe some day down the track would like some thoughts on what you guys use

and how far max settings?

as I want at least 3 screens ..maybe 3 32's if I can afford it.. or 3 29s or 27s..

any way.. I'm still posting and such .. just not flying..

milo

Good luck! It will be worth the wait, I'm sure. I had money put aside for my rig 18 months ago and bought a quad core, overclocked to 4.8 mhz, with a 760 Nvidia card and triple screens. It runs great and I recently built a BN-2 Islander cockpit to round the whole thing out.

Its great not to worry too much about OOMs and fps anymore ... I'm very jealous of your GTX 980 .... Maybe I should get one for Christmas!

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

Interesting, in the list of similar threads that came up for me underneath, was a post from you about the same thing from about a year ago. You should consider looking at your system if it's still the issue.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?278832-Grounded-for-a-while

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Sounds like you are still shoping for PC parts. The best way to decide is to go to Amazon, enter whatever MB, Video Card, Case, Memory, and OS (I recommend Win 7) you need info on. There are specs and reviews. Some reading, but keep a list of what you think is best COMBINATION of parts (ie: 'balanced').

A lot of the 'Gamer' (ie: video game rigs) are OVERKILL when it comes to Flight Sim and cost too much. Unless of course you want 4.8 Ghz CPU and a $1000 worth of video card(s) (mostly for 'bragging rights'?). But there is a lot of power consumption with the 'high end' rigs AND THAT EQUALS TO A LOT OF 'HEAT', which will require water cooling. The CPU puts out heat, the video cards put out heat, and your room or ambient temperature has to be considered. The i7 is a good CPU. Asus makes very good MB's for the price. 4 Gb of Ram is plenty. See my specs. I get 30 fps (locked) in FSX Acceleration with NO heat problems. I just keep it clean of dust every 3 months.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

thanks guys, I defiantly want at least 4 ghz,

so I can run pmdg stuff and a heap of orbx and weather programs etc...

I think this is why I stopped last time too... lol ...

but I just want to buy it all right the first time...

and then get stuck into flying!

Its great not to worry too much about OOMs and fps anymore ... I'm very jealous of your GTX 980 .... Maybe I should get one for Christmas!

How does a Quad Core and Video card fix OOMs?

Corsair C70 Corsair AX850 Asus z77 Sabertooth Intel i7 3770K 4.4GHz Liquid cooled with Corsair H110 16 GB nVidia GTX 680 Corsair Dominator Ram 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD Windows 7 Ultimate all running FSX on it's own 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro and a WD 1TB Black for Back Up. Finally something that will run FSX decently!

You could always wait a little longer and get one of the 14nm chips that are around the corner.. it'll be 3rd generation tri-gate transistor so hopefully they are even faster than Haswell. I'm getting a steady 4.32ghz on Turbo alone :)

what do I need to get to 4.32 ghz?

what kind of set up should I be looking at.

I'm asking you guys cause you do fsx more than I do and I want to spend

my money wisely..

what do I need to get to 4.32 ghz?

You can get up to 4.6 with an i7-4790k, overclocked and with a decent air cooler. Some people are getting up to 5ghz on water cooling but this is quite rare I think.

I've just built a new rig with water cooled i7-4790k. I haven't even started overclocking it yet and FSX is running like a dream with the pmdg 737NGX, orbx England and uk2000 airports.

C

You can get up to 4.6 with an i7-4790k, overclocked and with a decent air cooler. Some people are getting up to 5ghz on water cooling but this is quite rare I think.

I've just built a new rig with water cooled i7-4790k. I haven't even started overclocking it yet and FSX is running like a dream with the pmdg 737NGX, orbx England and uk2000 airports.

C

I use water cooling... but outside of buying a 4790k, the processor itself does all the work to get it to those speeds. No overclocking, no second guessing what the voltages should be, nothing. Plug and Play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFHWZl7Dlw

Archived