FS9 Flights (FLTs) in FSX

A quick review of a couple files shows 2 big differences that may cause problems.

One is in the [Main] section, the line- AppVersion= is different, if FS even reads this.

The bigger concern is the FS9 files use...

[Plane.0]

...to call the plane while FSX uses...

[sim.0]

Of course, if you do not have the FS9 plane installed in FSX you will getan aircraft init failure anyway.

Try it and tell us if it works.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Now, I was trying to suck... er encourage someone else to try it! It seems that someone must have given it a shot at one time or other. And the files looked way different to me, but I thought that MS might have taken this into consideration. If I don't hear from someone that has tried it I probably will. But after all, there are a lot of heroes that hang out here.

I gave it a shot. I moved one part of a three leg flight into FSX. The Flt, WX, and HTM. The FLT I chose used a DC-3 so there wouldn't be a problem with that.

It seemed to load fine with the aircraft, time and date. I don't know about the weather. The weather seemed to correspond to what I had as default, "Fair weather". I'll look into that.

I'm surprised that it loaded at all. It would be nice if the data in the htm would show up on the kneeboard without being part of a mission.

I don't think it does, I tried to make a briefing for a flight once and it didn't work. Maybe I screwed something up.

I copied the green C182 Sion "through the alps" .flt + .wx and the 182 folder into P3D2 and the flight loaded just fine. The 182 never looked so good, lol. I didn't copy any gauges, P3D has them. The cloud/WX was about as awesome as I've seen in P3D!

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/sion_182.jpg

Hi again,

I tried a few more flights and everything seemed to work well. Reloading the aircraft at the beginning seemed to correct some slight visual displacement from what I'm accustomed to.

Even though I didn't acknowledge them directly I did check all the replies and the links included. I was surprised to hear that P3d not only worked but also included the FS9 gauges that have to be copied to FSX.

While thinking about how some of the info could be accessed from within the flight it occurred to me that a basic mission template could be created and the text presented as Dialog Actions. Each of the FS9 flights is essentially a Mission that's about 80% complete. A re-saved FLT could serve as the basis for a Mission FLT, a PLN could be used as is, Rectangular Areas could be placed to trigger Dialog Actions, and a Landing trigger could initiate a successful mission conclusion. There is quite a bit of interesting historical data included with the FS9 flights.

Jim F.

I should say I didn't notice any missing gauges, I don't think I even checked the 2D panels TBH. I tried a flight in rain and the windows seemed to remain transparent but at some point after flying around a bit all the VC clickspots went away. Cockpit shadows worked but didn't look all that great. I LMAO when I tried the Sion flight in FS9 and it CTD'd, lol. JMSR? :)

Hi Jim,

I wasn't sure what you were referring to when you first mentioned Sion. I looked around for a bit and found it in an Alps flight. What I found was a flight approaching a runway in an Alpine valley. I was hoping to see the metropolitan area shown in your picture. I couldn't find anything like it in FSX. I did attempt to fly towards the nearest ocean but ended up (unintentionally) landing on a mountain plateau. I didn't choose wisely. The area was almost flat enough to park on but I had to keep a certain amount of throttle to keep from sliding. I ended up switching to an EH101 and, still heading toward the sea, landed next to some railroad tracks in a valley in the general direction. I flew for quite awhile and didn't notice any glitches.

Archived