FSX Extra 300S physics

james143611

Is the default FSX expansion Extra 300S that light in reality?

I don't fly in real life and never been in one, but on take off I have to let itself lift off, if I pull back on the stick, even slowly, it will launch off like no tomorrow, even turning needs a very, very slight movement of the stick, otherwise it turns on a sixpence and can be hard to control! It's like flying a paperclip!

Is the real Extra 300 that sensitive and ultra light? I know it's not heavy but the FSX model seems rather light and hard to control.

James.

Depending on the specific model, the Extra 300 series have a roll rate of around 400 degrees/second. With and empty weight of 1,500 lb, and a 300+ hp engine, they have plenty of power available. Went for a flight in 330 model a couple years ago. Best flight I've ever had by far!

I'm not a real-life pilot, but I can see the default FSX Extra is definitely eccentric in some flight regimes, for example in a fast tight bank if you apply rudder to hold the nose down on the horizon, the whole plane will slide upwards, you can see it best in Tower view with smoke on.

In fairness though, perhaps we need to tweak the three Aircraft Realism settings sliders below (P-factor, Torque, Gyro) to suit whatever particular plane we're flying; I usually leave them halfway between 'easy' and 'realistic', but I hear some addon aircraft readme's recommend a specific setting for each one.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-aircraft-setts_zpsr2mevukt.jpg~original

PS- I know Torque is the gyroscopic effect created by a whirling propeller, and I believe Gyro is the gyroscopic effect of a rotary engine as in some WW1 fighters, but P-factor takes some getting my head around, I've read up on it in Wiki (below) but am still not sure I understand it..:)

WIKI-"P-factor, also known as asymmetric blade effect and asymmetric disc effect, is an aerodynamic phenomenon experienced by a moving propeller, that is responsible for asymmetrical relocation of the propeller's center of thrust when aircraft is at a high angle of attack.

This shift in the location of the center of thrust will exert a yawing moment on the aircraft, causing it to yaw slightly to one side. A rudder input is required to counteract the yawing tendency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor

...the default FSX Extra is definitely eccentric in some flight regimes, for example in a fast tight bank if you apply rudder to hold the nose down on the horizon, the whole plane will slide upwards, you can see it best in Tower view with smoke on.

That's definitely one of the unreal behaviors found in many FS models.

To the OP, yes, the Extra, the Pitts Special and a few others, in real life, require an extremely light touch on the controls for normal flight, almost to the point where just thinking about adding pressure is enough to actually add some.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Having a decent joystick with a large range of motion is important with this plane. The Extra 300 missions are the ones I find impossible with my Logitech 3d pro joystick. I was feeling quite miserable about not being able to complete these missions until I got a decent Saitek stick and suddenly could do them.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Having a decent joystick with a large range of motion is important with this plane. The Extra 300 missions are the ones I find impossible with my Logitech 3d pro joystick. I was feeling quite miserable about not being able to complete these missions until I got a decent Saitek stick and suddenly could do them.

Yes, a good stick is essential, there was an interesting discussion about the very sensitive aerodynamics of the freeware Zivko Edge racer (below) recently, it power-stalls at the drop of a hat if you're a shade heavy on the stick.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Zivko_Edge_zpsrlzs8h1p.jpg~original

MORE- https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?286880-pulling-back-on-stick-not-working-kinda&highlight=zivko

I apologize to all, but it's just too good for me to resist this one...

Yes, a good stick is essential...

I'll be darned! (Here it comes!) That's that she said!

Thank you very much for the straight line!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I wish there was a list somewhere of all the default FSX aircraft where people like Larry N. who actually fly could state how close performance is to the real thing. Re. the Extra 300s: is their a payware version that handles more accurately?

David

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Archived