Stunned: .bgl.raxini ?

tommyeng

What addon creates .raxini file types of .bgl stock files?

I was trying to locate a minor airport which I could see both in my Plan-G och FSC applications, but FSX wouldn't find it in the airfield list.

I tried ADE9: It could be found in the stock airport list, but when I tried to load it ADE9 told me that there was no airport that could be decompiled from the stock file in question.

So I checked the file list: There were a number of APX*.bgl files that each had gotten a duplicate file with the extension .raxini. The .bgl files with original names had a late change date and were half as large as the .bgl.raxini files. The .blg.raxini files were change dated to the year 2006.

I.e.

APX48160.bgl 91kb

APX48160.bgl.raxini 186kb

The .raxini file however contained the stock airport I was looking for (when I removed the .raxini extension).

Can someone explain where these files come from?

(Is there a way in FSX to change/remove a file extension from a group of files? It's tedious to change them one by one. I sort of remember that the DOS-console could do these things, but it seems so long ago and these commands...)

All the best,

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

Thank you.

I figured they should have something to do with backup, but I have never bought or installed Aerosoft software so I am confused. Especially since the new files were smaller and did not contain the airport (-s?) they should.

Thansk again for your reply.

Tommy Engman ESNU

I sort of remember that the DOS-console could do these things

Hah! I cut my teeth on DOS before Windows was even a glimmer in Bill Gates' eye. :cool: Sadly, like NDB approaches, knowledge and use of DOS commands is no longer in vogue. However, they do things that Windows just can't do.

Warning: you should back up the entire folder where the bgl/raxini files are before you do this. Doo-doo occurs.

NOTE: I will describe two methods using two different DOS commands- REName and COPY. Please read this entire post and decide which method you prefer before doing anything.

1. Open a command prompt by clicking Start and entering "cmd" in the search window, then clicking on cmd.exe when it pops up. If your FSX installation is in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), you will need to open it with elevated privileges by using Control+Shift+Enter when cmd.exe is highlighted instead of just clicking on it.

Navigate to the subdirectory ("folder") where your bgl files are. Since DOS is not a graphical UI, you will have to use the Change Directory (CD) command to do this. The syntax is "CD [path]" where path is either the entire path where you want to go, i.e.

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X"

or a relative path which depends on which path you are currently in. So if you are currently in C:\Windows\System 32 you would use the following series of commands to navigate the directory tree one subdirectory at a time:

cd \
cd "Program Files (x86)"
cd microsoft
cd "microsoft games"
cd "flight simulator x"

As info, the first command above, cd \, will take you from anywhere on the drive to the root directory of that drive in one fell swoop. The path names are not case-sensitive, and you must surround the path names with quotes if they contain any spaces, but if no spaces are in the name, no quotes are required. There is a special shorthand for "take me one subdirectory level up from where I am now." That command is:

cd ..

METHOD ONE: RENAME

Now that you are in the subdirectory ("folder") where the files you want to rename are, use the very powerful RENAME (REN) command to rename all of them at once. WARNING: if bgl files of the same name exist in the same path, the REN command won't work. So since you backed up your bgl files anyway, you will need to delete or rename them before renaming your identically-named raxini files to bgl files. The DOS delete (DEL) command will do this for you, or the REN command can rename them, or you can do it in Windows before starting the cmd prompt.

Here are the two commands to run to delete your bgl files then rename all of your raxini files at once to bgl files:

del *.bgl
ren *.raxini *.bgl

Here are the two commands to run to REName your bgl files to bak files (or any other 3-letter extension you like, such as dup or old) and then rename all of your raxini files at once to bgl files:

ren *.bgl *.bak
ren *.raxini *.bgl

Note that running either the DEL command or the first REN command in the two examples above will delete or rename ALL of your bgl files in that folder, not just the ones that have a matching raxini file, so after you have run the above commands and closed the cmd window, use Windows Explorer to select all of your backed-up bgl files and copy-paste them back into the original folder BUT CHOOSE NO OVERWRITES. In this way, you will be re-establishing your bgl files that did NOT have a matching raxini file.

Alternatively, you could use Windows Explorer to find identically-named raxini-bgl files and delete or move only the appropriate bgl files out of the way before starting this DOS process. In that case, just ignore the DEL command and/or the first REN in the examples above and run only the REN *.raxini *.bgl command.

METHOD TWO: COPY

A better approach would be to use the COPY command instead of the REN command. It copies your raxini files to identically-named bgl files. The advantages are:

1. Only bgl files that have a matching raxini file are overwritten;

2. The existing raxini files are left in place;

3. There is no need to move or delete the identically-named bgl files first, because unlike the REName command, the COPY command has an overwrite capability which is enabled by the /y parameter.

4. There is no need to come back later and re-establish bgl files with no matching raxini files because this method does not touch those files;

5. You can go back later and easily "undo" your actions by first deleting all the bgl files in the folder, then copying all your backed-up bgl files back into their original location (or renaming all your bak files to bgl files if you chose that method), leaving the files in that folder EXACTLY as they were before.

So just run this:

copy *.raxini *.bgl /y

When you are through running DOS commands, just enter EXIT to close the cmd window. Hope this helps you.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

If you would rather not mess with HoggyDogg's procedure, Google Bulk Rename Utility.

peace,

the Bean

LOL Bean, he ASKED about DOS. I couldn't resist the bait... :p

Sorry, my bad. It's not Aerosoft.

The .raxini files are created by the aero.sors NavData installer.

When you use the installer to install the new navdata, it creates backups of the original files.

I would not start renaming all the files.

And don't delete the .raxini files, they are needed for the uninstall.

If you just want all your originals back, the installer can also be used to uninstall.

You may be able to undo just the airports. (using the uninstaller)

Maybe you have to undo it all, in bulk.

In the installer you can select which parts you want installed. If after you remove it (completely), you would like some of the navdata, but not all the airport changes, you can then run the installer again and deselect the airport section, so those are not installed.

Here's the main aero.sors page:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/

Here's the page about the navdata download:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Here's the manual for the installer (pdf file):

http://www.aero.sors.fr/documentation/FSXP3DNavaidsUpdate.pdf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would check to see if there's an uninstaller for the navdata, it says right in the .pdf something to the effect of "the .raxini files are there to facilitate uninstalling". I certainly wouldn't turn loose a del *.bgl command in that folder, there may (will) be .bgls in there that have nothing to do with the navdata update and those will be deleted too. Same goes for a bulk rename for that matter.

I certainly wouldn't turn loose a del *.bgl command in that folder, there may (will) be .bgls in there that have nothing to do with the navdata update and those will be deleted too. Same goes for a bulk rename for that matter.

I don't blame you for not reading my entire post because it is long and you're not the one with the problem. However, I did provide a double-safety in my recommendation: first back up the entire folder, then after deleting or renaming all or some of the bgl files, copy them back from the backup with no overwrites, which would replace just the files NOT affected by the navdata update.

The point I wanted to make (with a hint of urgency) was:

I would check to see if there's an uninstaller for the navdata, it says right in the .pdf something to the effect of "the .raxini files are there to facilitate uninstalling".

And you're right, I didn't read it, I saw del *.bgl and wanted to suggest the uninstaller alternative before something bad happened. I apologize for not reading through, it seems you did indeed have your bases covered.

Incidentally this would also work:

for %f in (*.raxini) do (
del %~nf.bgl
)
ren *.raxini *.bgl

...but this isn't a DOS forum and I'd still use the uninstaller if at all possible.

LOL Bean, he ASKED about DOS. I couldn't resist the bait... :p

Well, it looks like they designed a cell phone just for you!

http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/04/01/microsoft-launches-ms-dos-mobile/

(4/16/19) ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop. I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, FSX:SE, Oculus rift, Windows 10

(Built 03/08): GA-EP35C-DS3R, Q6600 (oc=3.4Ghz), 8GB (4x2) DDR2 1066, Corsair 850W, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; FSX Gold+Accel+REX+UTXUSA+UTXTAC+MegaSc MN

Interesting batch file, tilde magic is so ... magic... :p

And yes, if an uninstaller is available, that would always be my first choice too. Again, he specifically asked (or mentioned :D ) using DOS commands, which was the entire (and only) point of my response.

Archived