Problems again

fess

Well, I'm back, not that anyone knew I was gone.:) Been gone for a few months learning to fly again. New type rating and cert.

The other night I decided to fire up the simulator and, to my surprise, the computer would not boot. Turns out to be a hard drive problem. The computer was old anyway so I went and got another one. That's when my problems started all over again.

I reinstalled FS2002 and my Saitek Pro Yoke system. I assigned my buttons and fired up a flight, the throttles wont work. Turns out that the #1 throttle will work, but I don't use #1 for throttle, I use #2. To top it off, the N1 will not go below 78%. All the button assignments work as they should.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I've already searched the forum, but found nothing. As always, my thanks in advance.

Well, I finally got the throttle to work on the lever I want but don't ask me how yet.:)

Still have a problem with the idle speed though. can't get the idle below 74% N1. Aggravating to say the least.

did you remember to calibrate the the throttle? (sorry, I don't know if you are using a throttle connected to the joystick/yoke, or a seperate one)

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

Hi Sampa, I am using the Saitek Pro Yoke and throttle. I went to the calibration page, and everything seems to work. However, I opened the throttle console in the sim, and the throttles showed that the were about 25% advanced. I pulled them back to idle and the N1 showed the way it should be. But, as soon as I touched the throttle, the rpm advanced and wouldn't return to idle.

curious...I apologize for not having anything to help...I only have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick with the Yoke attached. However, I have noticed that if I advance the throttle and then bring them back to idle via the quadrant on the joystick...the problem seems to have corrected itself...

Thanks Sampa, but I tried that, no difference noted. I have to find a way to set the throttle range to zero. I've been told that Pete Dawson's program might work, as soon as I find it. I've also been told to reload FS2002.

ok, also, you might double check that you don't have the autothrottle on or that you didn't inadvertantly leave it on from another flight! Hope you are able to solve your problem!

Hi Sampa, thanks for your reply.

No, the A/T is not on. In fact, because of the throttle problem, and the other slight problems, I haven't even flown a flight since setting up FS2002 on this new machine.

I guess I am going to have to start from ground zero.... again.

Well, after I got home from work, I decided to have another try at getting this thing to work. I disconnected the Pro Yoke system and reinstalled it, and updated the driver. I went through all of the assignments, but it made no difference. N1 still is set to about 68%. Pressing F1 will decrease the throttle, but as soon as I touch the throttle the 68% returns.

Getting frustrated, I decided to reinstall FS2000, that made no difference either.

I then switched USB ports, still no difference.

There has to be a way to set the range on the throttle, and I hope someone will read this and tell me how that is done.

Thanks to all for your support.

• 2 weeks later...
There has to be a way to set the range on the throttle, and I hope someone will read this and tell me how that is done.

Full disclosure: I have never had FS2002. I did, however, experience the same problem in FSX- unable to bring throttle(s) to idle in the sim. So it was a range-of-motion issue similar to yours.

I have a Saitek X45 Stick and Throttle set. It came with its own software, which I used when I first installed them to calibrate range of motion and verify all the buttons, switches and hats functioned correctly. I am not, however, using any proprietary Saitek drivers since the Windows drivers seem to handle my stick & throttle just fine- when I plugged them in, windows automatically installed drivers from *somewhere* :p and they work great. I'm also running FSUIPC, the "free" unregistered version.

After reading your OP and subsequent posts, I'm still not clear on what you have tried to fix this, but fixing a range of motion issue is pretty straightforward. Let me suggest that you start FS and go to Settings > Controls and look for "calibration" (I don't know where it is in FS2002 but it's a tab in FSX) and run the sim's internal calibration routine, which should be intuitive and well-instructed step-by-step if it's anything like the FSX calibration routine. While you're there, make sure "use controller" is enabled- it's a check-box in FSX.

When I recalibrated my throttle in FSX, I noticed that the graphic representation of the range of motion seemed backwards to me- full throttle showed NO red range, and zero throttle showed full extension red range. However, the throttle works as expected in the sim. Once I had calibrated it, problem solved, stick and throttle work great and I've never had to change or recalibrate them.

Hope this helps, and sorry I don't "speak" FS2002.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

• 2 months later...

First of all, let me say thank you to all who tried to help me through this problem.

It's been a while since my last post, work is the curse of mine in trying to get my sim to work. Since leaving the line, I am flying more hours than I thought I would on my new job. It's great!

So, an update. Before I could get my sim to work properly, my computer STB. I have spent the last couple of months trying to put together another computer. Finally got it running, and FS seems to be working, although I now have a lot of tweaking to do.... again.

However, I have a question. I have read that one shouldn't load the Saitek driver. can anyone explain this to me?

However, I have a question. I have read that one shouldn't load the Saitek driver. can anyone explain this to me?

With my Saitek hardware windows detected it and installed whatever it needed to install without me having to use the software it came with. It all works as it should and have never had issues with it. I can only presume that there may be a conflict if you use the driver software provided. Depending on the age of your controls the driver that it came with would of been updated anyway.

If your windows detects the controls and they work without using the supplied driver I wouldn't worry about messing with it.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Well, after so many months, I seem to have things back in working order. Still have a lot of tweaking to do, but at least the sim is working. My thanks to all who provided help during my trials and tribulations.

I have a problem with something else that I will cover in a different thread.

Archived