An FS9 Question but a reference to FSX information

b3burner

This is an FS2004 question, but I have to reference FSX for this to make sense that I'm asking it here.

A few mos ago I bought my version of FSX Steam... and when I'm not tending to age old projects here on the FS9 side, I'm over there... trying to tweak and make that run better.

An FSX tweak came up in discussion about opening up multiple computer cores by inserting in the fsx.cfg the line:

"[JOB SCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=xxx",

where the x depends upon number of cores, and then there's higher numbers for Hyper-Threading, etc. etc. and at that point, I started to get really confused and dose off to sleep.

My question as it pertains to FS2004 is, is there any good reason to write the same text code into the fs9.cfg file and try to utilize all cores on the comp while running FS9? Or is FS9 a completely different animal and I'm wasting my time using that particular FSX tweak and trying to apply it to the FS9 world? Just curious. Thanks.

-- John

Fs9 was written before multi-cores and hyperthreading.

So an AffinityMask statement has no meaning to it.

Closest thing is to assign FS9 to a core using Task Manager or a utility, and set affinity for everything else on the machine to other cores so they don't use up any of the FS9 time.

On my Core2Duo I've never been convinced that this does much, though.

Fs9 was written before multi-cores and hyperthreading.

So an AffinityMask statement has no meaning to it.

Closest thing is to assign FS9 to a core using Task Manager or a utility, and set affinity for everything else on the machine to other cores so they don't use up any of the FS9 time.

On my Core2Duo I've never been convinced that this does much, though.

Okay thank you for getting back to me.

Archived