Memory issues?

Daniels91

Hi Everyone,

First post here so go easy on me please! haha

I have been having a problem lately with regards to a few FSX crashes..

About mid flight all of a sudden FSX will just switch to Not Responding, then if I click on the screen it goes white and asks me to close it down!

Im guessing its related to memory, however no PC genius!

I have noticed lately that in the PMDG 744 for example, mid flight, when I toggle between different views after a while it will only let me view 2 views. VC and Spot. The ability to view other types of views goes... Also the VC instruments freeze essentially and I have to push F9 (VC view) to get them working again.

This also happens on the Aerosoft A320 whereby mid flight it only gives me 2 views. VC or Spot.. However VC instruments remain current at all times..

I am currently flying BAW4 JFK-LCY, 3 hours into the flight and I have started to notice the little things happening..

I am currently experiencing a drop in FPS and a bit of lag, Also when pressing "S" keyboard command the change views, instead of the 4 usual views (Flight deck, outside, aircraft,custom) It now only allows me to see Flight deck and Outside, I can right click and select the view I want, but at risk of FSX CTD'ing.

I have installed the highmemfix module that members kindly informed me of but it seems to no avail..

My PC specs are as follows - Intel I7 2600 3.40 GHZ, Windows 7 64 bit, RAM 6GB, AMD HD 780 graphics card.

I keep my PC usage to a minimum when FSX is running. I only have chrome open for general browsing & this forum, FSX, Active Sky and BA phoenix aswell as Vpilot.

It seems to start with the restricted views then followed by long pauses of say 1-3 minutes where FSX is not responding. Sometimes it comes back other times it doesnt. However over the atlantic I have no chance of making my diversion airfield if the pauses are 3 minutes each over a 1 hour period as it pushes me over the phoenix time limit..

I have been monitoring the virtual size as kindly mentioned also by the members, at the moment FSX is currently at 1,908,364K. 4,000,000K is the limit am I correct?

Sometimes If I leave the PC alone and walk away the view select may come back and the FPS increase and its back to normal which prompted me to think some sort of memory or RAM issue? I am not very computer literate and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps just a quick thought, I should have 8GB of RAM but its only showing 6Gb on windows properties?? Do I have a bad stick?

Thanks all

If pausing, or just minimising, and walking away helps to get the fps up, something had probably overheated and is cooled down after some rest.

Make sure the fans are working, and clean the dust out of the pc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi All!

I have had a look and there are no errors or faulting modules for when my fsx crashes.

I have taken the side panel off for more cooling, will report back with findings on that..

I don't have the intel GPU enabled on device manager.

Thanks all

I have installed the highmemfix module that members kindly informed me of but it seems to no avail..

That fix is for video memory only. It allows FSX to utilize more that 512MB of video memory and has no affect on how FSX uses system or virtual memory.

I have been monitoring the virtual size as kindly mentioned also by the members, at the moment FSX is currently at 1,908,364K. 4,000,000K is the limit am I correct?

The 4GB limit only applies if you have installed either SP2 or Acceleration (which includes SP2).

I only have chrome open for general browsing & this forum, FSX, Active Sky and BA phoenix aswell as Vpilot.

OK, what happens if you fly with none of that stuff turned on?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Memory issues?

I had those once, I think, but I forgot when...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Dunno about the memory, but one thing about views.. If way over the ocean

and no towers are anywhere nearby, it's normal for FSX to drop the tower view.

And I think when this happens, it often drops one of the other views also.. Maybe

the cabin view, but I forgot.. But this is normal, and not a memory issue.

When this happens, as soon as you are close enough to an airport to get a long

distance tower view, the views will all come back.

If you should have 8GB and get only 6 GB in control panel, may be one module is not plugged in right. Btw, to see the installed the RAM amount you look in: Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System. (Win7)

Of course 'one badly connected' would mean you have 4 RAM modules, each one 2GB in size.

If you have only 2 modules (2 modules each 4GB) then it is not caused by a badly connected module.

-ATTENTION-

:mad:FOLLOWING THIS PROCEDURE CAN DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER, AND VOID THE WARRENTY. :mad:

- IF YOU FEEL IN ANY WAY UNSURE ABOUT THIS, LEAVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL,

AND TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO A REPAIR SHOP, WHERE THEY CAN SAFELY DO THIS FOR A MARGINAL FEE.

If you think one RAM module is not plugged in right:

Shut down the PC.

Turn off the display. Swich off any powered USB devices, such as speakers and printers.

Pull the mains Power Cord off the back connection of the computer.

Push the "Start" button on the front a few times, to discharge any remaining current.

Take the cover off the pc, be carefull with all the delicate parts inside.

When tinkering with something like RAM, wear cotton clothing. No wool or fleece, because of the static discharge that can come from that clothing.

For each module in turm, undo the retention mechanism, lift up the module and push it back in place, until it 'clicks' tight on both sides. One by one so you are sure they go back in the same slots.

Avoid touching the gold connector pins on the memory module. Grease from your fingertips can cause a bad connection.

See here what a RAM module looks like, and how the retention mechanism works, in a Desktop computer:

http://www.l3jane.net/doc//9150/parts.htm

After they are all securely clicked into place, put the cover back into place.

Attach the power cable, switch on the display and the speakers. Then Switch on the PC.

-ATTENTION-

:mad:FOLLOWING THIS PROCEDURE CAN DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER, AND VOID THE WARRENTY.:mad:

- IF YOU FEEL IN ANY WAY UNSURE ABOUT THIS, LEAVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL,

AND TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO A REPAIR SHOP, WHERE THEY CAN SAFELY DO THIS FOR A MARGINAL FEE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The crashing sounds like what I had with my old computer. The liquid cooling was in the process of dying and my core temps were creeping up. Then mid flight, FSX would freeze and just make a buzzing noise. Since I had the extended warrantee, Dell replaced my computer with a brand new Alienware, also liquid cooled. Haven't had a FSX crash since. Anyway, check your core temps. Even if you don't have liquid cooling, your fan could be clogged with gunk, same goes for the case. Maybe a good vacuuming.

Archived