Defalt FS9Default VC to Defalt FSX aircraft VC Can it be done

gdr1944

Hello:

I know the VC texture formats are different.

Is there a app gismo that will convert FS9 VC format to FSX VC format.

Could it be a cfg edit?

I'm not sure were the FS9 VC resides.

In FSX I get the outside textures and 2D panel.

Comments please.

Thanks for looking

GDR1944

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

The short answer to your question is no.

Virtual cockpits are part of the 3d model (created in Gmax, Max, Blender, etc) and that is what is compiled into the .mdl file used by the sim. The format of that .mdl file is not the same between the two sim versions, and modification of that file without authorization of the author is generally forbidden.

In FS9 the exterior model and interior (aka the VC) model are one .mdl file.

In FSX they are separate.

While there are tools available to manipulate these files and eventually get what you seek in reality unless you are capable of using one of the previously mentioned modeling programs to create a plane from scratch and you have permission from the original author you will never manage to pull off the task.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Just want to get some default FS9 VC to appear.

Howabout for training for purposes.

So.de-compile with somekind of MDL/XML then try to figgure out how to.....

Ok fine I don't know what I'm doing...

• 1 month later...
If you don't know what you're doing then the first thing you should do is back up your planes.

No! really! I never do that...NOT

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was able to take the default FS9 C172 into FSX without any problem whatsoever. Just had to make a modification to the [vcockpit] section of the panel.cfg for the VC to show properly in FSX, but it can be done - at least with the C172.

So .....what modification did you make?

So .....what modification did you make?

I believe I copied the FSX [vcockpit] section into the FS9 panel.cfg - I believe.

Since I had a major drive crash, I no longer have that, or FS9 any longer, so I cannot at this time attempt to re-create it.

But I do rememeber I did put the FS9 model in it's own folder, separate from the FSX one, but "combined" the aircraft.cfg entries. So basically, an FSX model folder, and FS9 model folder, but "common" panel and sound folders.

Well, dug out my FS9 discs and re-installed it so that I could explain how to get the FS9 C172 into FSX.

Basically what I did was copied the model, panel, and texture folders of the FS9 C172 over to the SimObjects/Airplanes FSX folder, but renamed them to model.fs9, panel.fs9, texture.fs9, texture.fs9_1, and texture.fs9_2.

Then I took the aircraft.cfg entries and copied them over to the FSX aircraft.cfg, like so.

[fltsim.6]
title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP N176CM
sim=Cessna172SP
model=fs9
panel=fs9
sound=
texture=fs9
kb_checklists=Cessna172SP_check
kb_reference=Cessna172SP_ref
atc_id=N176CM
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"
ui_variation="White with blue and gray"
description="A stable and trustworthy plane, most pilots have logged at least a few hours in a Cessna 172, since it's the most widely available aircraft in the rental fleet, and is used by most flight schools. Since the first prototype was completed in 1955, more than 35,000 C172s have been produced, making it the world's most popular single-engine plane.  One of Cessna's first tricycle-gear airplanes, the 172 quickly became the favorite of a growing class of business pilots.  Its reliability and easy handling (along with thoughtful engineering and structural updates) have ensured its continued popularity for more than 35 years."

[fltsim.7]
title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP N729WM
sim=Cessna172SP
model=fs9
panel=fs9
sound=
texture=fs9_1
atc_id=N729WM
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"
ui_variation="White with blue"
description="A stable and trustworthy plane, most pilots have logged at least a few hours in a Cessna 172, since it's the most widely available aircraft in the rental fleet, and is used by most flight schools. Since the first prototype was completed in 1955, more than 35,000 C172s have been produced, making it the world's most popular single-engine plane.  One of Cessna's first tricycle-gear airplanes, the 172 quickly became the favorite of a growing class of business pilots.  Its reliability and easy handling (along with thoughtful engineering and structural updates) have ensured its continued popularity for more than 35 years."

[fltsim.8]
title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP N700MS
sim=Cessna172SP
model=fs9
panel=fs9
sound=
texture=fs9_2
atc_id=N700MS
atc_id_color=0xffffffff
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"
ui_variation="Red with black and yellow"

[fltsim.9]
title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP N568OP - IFR
sim=Cessna172SP
model=fs9
panel=ifr
sound=
texture=fs9
atc_id=N568OP
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type=C172SP Skyhawk
ui_createdby=Microsoft Corporation
ui_typerole=Single Engine Prop
ui_variation=White with blue and gray - IFR panel
description=A stable and trustworthy plane, most pilots have logged at least a few hours in a Cessna 172, since it's the most widely available aircraft in the rental fleet, and is used by most flight schools. Since the first prototype was completed in 1955, more than 35,000 C172s have been produced, making it the world's most popular single-engine plane.  One of Cessna's first tricycle-gear airplanes, the 172 quickly became the favorite of a growing class of business pilots.  Its reliability and easy handling (along with thoughtful engineering and structural updates) have ensured its continued popularity for more than 35 years.

Screenshots of the plane in FSX. As you can see, the FS9 VC works perfect in FSX - all animations and such. Even the Shockwave lighting positions are the same. :)

FS9 C172 in FSX.jpg2015-8-30_21-30-50-902.jpg2015-8-30_21-30-40-959.jpg2015-8-30_21-30-32-673.jpg

The only "incompatibility" that I saw is the registration number won't show up, but the ATC correctly calls the plane by it's type and registration, so no big deal for me.

I did not have to make any changes to the panel.cfg as I thought I did in my previous post.

This technique should also work with other FS9 default aircraft which are also in FSX.

Archived