are budget airlines less safe?

Considering the tragic accident on Tuesday, and the many 'air crash investigations' episodes I've seen on Nat. Geo. It strikes me that there are a disproportionate number of accidents with budget airlines.

Could the reason be that they hire cheaper and less-experienced pilots (and in this Germanwings case, one who was recorded as suffering from depression), and that they follow the minimum maintenance and safety regulations, in order to be able to sell cheap flights?

A friend of mine from Italy who regularly flies between the UK in Italy (must have done 50 flights over the last 5 years) says that when he flies Easyjet or Ryanair (budget airlines), the landings often seem much sloppier than when he flies with Alitalia or British Airways. I guess this could be because most Alitalia and BA flights are from Heathrow, where I think autoland is mandatory - and I'm not sure if this is the case from Stansted and Gatwick where the budget airlines fly from.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Considering the tragic accident on Tuesday, and the many 'air crash investigations' episodes I've seen on Nat. Geo. It strikes me that there are a disproportionate number of accidents with budget airlines.

Could the reason be that they hire cheaper and less-experienced pilots (and in this Germanwings case, one who was recorded as suffering from depression), and that they follow the minimum maintenance and safety regulations, in order to be able to sell cheap flights?

A friend of mine from Italy who regularly flies between the UK in Italy (must have done 50 flights over the last 5 years) says that when he flies Easyjet or Ryanair (budget airlines), the landings often seem much sloppier than when he flies with Alitalia or British Airways. I guess this could be because most Alitalia and BA flights are from Heathrow, where I think autoland is mandatory - and I'm not sure if this is the case from Stansted and Gatwick where the budget airlines fly from.

Probably, but im still very surprised that it happens with a company managed by such a great airliner as lufthansa, specially that they let that s?&?%&ch pass through the filter.

but if i had to tell you all i've heard here in canada from bugdet airlines

it will freeze the forum webpage...

we'll have to choose the best from the worst..

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe not all less safe, on the other hand, some companies with big reputation "feel" them selves above the costumer's needs and become a bit arrogant when it comes to give a good service.

as a costumer i only ask that the plane takes off and lands properly in one piece.

No their not less safe. Their cost cutting occurs in areas that don't compromise safety. They live by the same rules as all carriers. Are European and other countrues RULES less safe? Yes perhaps. I have questioned the amount of hours required to get an ATP license in Europe? Look at the small amount of hours this GW pilot had. 630total including training in single engine! 100 in the A320. In the US your wouldn't even qualify for that plane until 1500 hrs. Even then it would be highly unlikely to be made a second officer on A320 until having many more hours in a commercial aircraft of some sort. My son is currently working his way towards his ATP here in the US. Its hard and expensive!

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

No their not less safe. Their cost cutting occurs in areas that don't compromise safety. They live by the same rules as all carriers. Are European and other countrues RULES less safe? Yes perhaps. I have questioned the amount of hours required to get an ATP license in Europe? Look at the small amount of hours this GW pilot had. 630total including training in single engine! 100 in the A320. In the US your wouldn't even qualify for that plane until 1500 hrs. Even then it would be highly unlikely to be made a second officer on A320 until having many more hours in a commercial aircraft of some sort. My son is currently working his way towards his ATP here in the US. Its hard and expensive!

About the pilot of that crash.

I dont know if i missed something but this morning in the news they said exactly

He appeared to have allready some illness in the time he worked for burger king

before working for germanwings..

No joke.

it is a well known fact that the pilot in the Germanwings accident was suffering from depression. I would not really count that accident against that airline. At best, I would be wary about them since they are known to buy used aircraft from other airlines.

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

Archived