why use frame rate limiter?

iainso

Under what circumstances should you set it to a fixed value then?

When you want the computer to have time to work on details. In between displaying each frame it fills in information to go in those frames. For me, that's always.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Both tweaking guides advise to set the internal limiter to unlimited, and using an external program (FPS_Limiter, NVidiaInspector) to limit them to 30 fps.

Wim

Interesting, so is 30 a good limit? I would have thought 60 would be best - same as most monitors refresh rate

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Both tweaking guides advise to set the internal limiter to unlimited, and using an external program (FPS_Limiter, NVidiaInspector) to limit them to 30 fps.

Wim

I disagree with that statement.

According to NickN:

"NOTE: NO INTERNAL DRIVER, OR, EXTERNAL FRAME RATE LIMITERS SHOULD BE USED, ONLY THE IN-GAME FSX FRAME LOCK SETTING."

According to Kosta:

"I found out (and got it recently confirmed) that external limiters cause blurries and more stutters.

The fact is that internal limiter is as smooth as FSX can get, if FSX achieves the limited FPS without a problem."

Mike Mann

Heck, I leave mine locked at 20, and it's smooth as silk, with only the internal Frame-rate limiter.

Just tossing it in the ring, for what it's worth.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I've had FSX for 7 years, I tried (and failed) early on to understand why anybody should want to limit their framerate so nowadays I simply leave it on 'Unlimited' and it runs smooth as silk, witness my following screenshots from default FSX giving good FPS readouts with highish scenery density-

CITY

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fps45A_zpszhkuzmgk.jpg~original

COUNTRYSIDE

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fps140B_zpsuqu9phkg.jpg~original

WATER

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fps105C_zpsaaieuvvi.jpg~original

My PC-

Proc: Intel Core i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Mem: 16 GB RAM

Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

I've had FSX for 7 years, I tried (and failed) early on to understand why anybody should want to limit their framerate so nowadays I simply leave it on 'Unlimited' and it runs smooth as silk, witness my following screenshots from default FSX giving good FPS readouts with highish scenery density-

CITY

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fps45A_zpszhkuzmgk.jpg~original

COUNTRYSIDE

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fps140B_zpsuqu9phkg.jpg~original

WATER

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fps105C_zpsaaieuvvi.jpg~original

My PC-

Could you post your CFG?

What's a CFG? I grew up in the stone age and never touched a computer til I was 34 years old so all that techy stuff is way over my head, I just go for the simplest straightforward approach and leave all that convoluted file-tweaking to the tweakaholics..:)

FPS doesn't mean much if you get flashing ,artifacts ,stutters, screen tearing etc. it's about smoothness.

... I just go for the simplest straightforward approach and leave all that convoluted file-tweaking to the tweakaholics..:)

Then you are obviously wasting time by posting in a message thread about frame limiters, Scatt.

On my rig I've set the internal frame limiter to 30, set UsePools to 0, and adjusted Texture_Bandwidth_Mult to 120, Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction to .50. Result: Smooth performance, almost always near 30 FPS except over heavy urban area scenery or very complex Active Sky-generated cloudy weather.

My FSX runs smooth as silk without any file-tweaking whatsoever, I paid 1100 GB pounds (1600 US dollars) for my PC last year which I believe is a bit above the average, so the moral seems to be the more you spend on a machine, the better your games and sims will run.

As a single dood I can splash out whatever I like without any hassle from a wifey..:)

Mine-

PS- re framerates I think I read somewhere in this forum that the human eye can't detect framerates any higher than about 30-40 fps, so striving for anything over 40 is therefore a waste of time anyway, I don't know if that's true?

I found leaving mine unlimited and leave bandicam running locked at 30 gives me the best results however, my sliders are maxed and tons of WOAI,MAIW and addon scenery. I do leave the airport veicles low. Those fuel trucks eat frames. I believe my Texture_bandwidth_Mult=40 and Fiber_Frame_Fraction=0.33 and I donot overclock. What might I achieve by going 120 and .50?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

I read though the lower FFTF will tend to blurr the scenery a bit. Haven't tried it myself. I guess it also depends on ones flying habits. I like low and slow myself to take in the sights.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

My FSX runs smooth as silk without any file-tweaking whatsoever, I paid 1100 GB pounds (1600 US dollars) for my PC last year which I believe is a bit above the average, so the moral seems to be the more you spend on a machine, the better your games and sims will run.

As a single dood I can splash out whatever I like without any hassle from a wifey..:)

Mine-

PS- re framerates I think I read somewhere in this forum that the human eye can't detect framerates any higher than about 30-40 fps, so striving for anything over 40 is therefore a waste of time anyway, I don't know if that's true?

Don-t know the prices in the UK, but if they-re comparable to the US then you didn't just pay overpriced, you paid WAY overprice for those specs...

You're not getting that performance because of what you paid, you're getting it because you're running simple vanilla stuff... People here have machines way more powerful thatn yours and tweak it to get good performance for running extra addons.

When you run a plain out-of-the-box FSX, you pretty much don't have that problem...

I've had FSX for 7 years, I tried (and failed) early on to understand why anybody should want to limit their frame rate so nowadays I simply leave it on 'Unlimited' and it runs smooth as silk, witness my following screenshots from default FSX giving good FPS readouts with highish scenery density-

My PC-

I run the internal limiter on my frame rate as I haven't been able to justify building a better PC (i have an old i3 or something). On my system, if I set it to unlimited I get quite a stuttery view, it's smooth, but you get a slight pause, then whoosh as it catches up to where you should be, then slow down then whooosh.. It's not extremely visible but it does your head in (and your eyes) because of the surging type of motion effect it gives.

I really should read up more about tweaking the CFG and try an external limiter.

I read though the lower FFTF will tend to blurr the scenery a bit. Haven't tried it myself. I guess it also depends on ones flying habits. I like low and slow myself to take in the sights.

It will if you go too low. Each puter will usually need to be tested and fine tweaked

to use that and not blur. I can run .14 and rarely blur.. Much much lower than that,

and it starts getting funky. To me, it is worth using, cuz my box is fairly mediocre

these days, and it does buy me an extra 2-3 fps vs default.

Most default planes, it doesn't really matter, but the NGX can bog it down a bit as

far as frame rate, so I use it.

BTW, I only use the internal frame limiter. No external. On my box, unlimited leads

to the stutters..

Setting Framerates to UNLIMITED can easily be done on HIGH-END (4,6,8, core I5, I7, I8) computer systens, since they have enough cpu and gpu power on board to get the job done in time / frame.

May I suggest to Iain, with his

Windows 7, Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVidia 8800GT
with all! due! respect! low-end computer system, to start with locked frame-rates at 10 FPS and simple trail and error up to an XX FPS rate that he is comfortable with. You will have to choose between high FPS and Smoothness ;-)

Archived