i got the dreaded ERROR CODE 8-c0000006 again

CessnaFlyer

after doing some googling on this ERROR CODE 8-c0000006 I came across an article that says this could be a registry entry. has any one else seen this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} if so when you removed it did fsx go back to working normally? I will keep googling till I solve this problem. I will try this my self and see if I solves it. if it does can we leave this thread open?
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

Threads never really close unless someone has offended the administrator. They just get buried under 20 new threads a day. It's amazingly easy for you to find an old thread no matter how old.

Since you had this error before, it's likely the same solution will get you going again.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

This key does not exist on my system.

I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear.

Solving this through a registry entry is probably a wild goose.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/activation-error-code-8-c0000006-when-starting-fsx/304cdb5a-cfa0-4812-abd9-ba66aeb86ac4

From what I've read, the FSX ERROR CODE 8-c0000006 is a result of messing with the registry. One person had to reinstall Windows to correct it. Others don't even have that key in the registry but still have the activation problem:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?270718-FSX-Activation-error

Restoring Windows to a date and time prior to the error is the quickest and easiest solution:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/error-code-8c0000006_topic49345.html

Suggest trying other games or game demos that use DX9 to verify your windows is not fundamentally broken. Then removing and cleaning FSX, re-installing, running ONCE COMPLETELY CLEAN with NO Add-ons, perform the license, add SP1 then SP2, then and only then, put in your add-ons ONE AT A TIME testing thoroughly between each installation.

The shotgun approach is not working for you based on the many problem posts you have generated.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

ah ok. well I always clean all the bloat stuff out of my pc and the registry. then install fsx and the acceleration pack. so I don't need the service packs. but what I also do is cut copy and paste the main folder of the game some where for goof up's I wonder if that is also a cause or you get the activation error no matter what?

License activation should independent of where FSX is stored.

Obviously something you are doing is causing you more trouble than it's worth.

Having a backup copy you can pull files from is a good idea. Running from multiple locations might be something you should avoid particularly if these are on different drives.

Once you have used system restore, take a careful look at your entire FSX configuration (icons, paths, execution location, etc.) and try to keep it that way.

Maybe you are mixing pre-Acceleration and post-Acceleration exe files when you copy-paste?

-Pv-

I always clean all the bloat stuff out of ... the registry.

Unless you know what you are doing I suggest you leave the registry alone.

Having unused reg keys is not going to have any affect on how your PC runs.

Deleting keys without knowing why they are there to begin with is dangerous and could result in a non-functioning computer.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

^^^

Agreed. I was hoping that went without saying but someone else said it so I feel better. I was also hoping the linked post where the user had to reinstall windows after editing the registry was a hint...

-Pv-

ok so cleaning the registry with ccleaner will not increase performance of any thing? and I could always get files off of the cd's if I need to fix something. cause right now I have just the bare bones game with the acceleration pack no add on aircraft or scenery. so I will see tomorrow what happens with it. I also have fs04 standing by for when things go south with fsx.

ok so cleaning the registry with ccleaner will not increase performance of any thing?

Look, I am a CCleaner fan and use it all the time on multiple computers.

When it comes to the registry though, I am very careful with what I let it remove.

I look through the list item by item and decide what stays and what goes.

When in doubt, it stays.

I rarely like posting about procedures I have never tried, so take this next comment with the knowledge that I have never tried this yet know and trust the source it came from.

I have been told that running CCleaner on a brand new Win 8 install will find lots of registry errors that are not really errors. That Microsoft included a bunch of unused keys that are there as sort of future proofing. And that letting CCleaner remove those keys could cause problems that might not show up for quite some time, if ever.

This was the result of a conversation I had right after Win 8.1 was released and it is quite probable that CCleaner has since been updated to prevent problems.

What I took from the conversation was to never let CCleaner remove keys that I was uncertain about.

I do think that computers boot faster and run smoother after a good file cleaning by CCleaner.

I have never seen a performance change attributable to a registry cleaning.

And anyone who tells you the registry needs defragging is selling you snake oil.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

There aren't any safe registry changes which make FSX run faster. The registry can absorb a tremendous amount of bloat and still run effectively. Unused keys and the data in them are simply ignored.

The risk a person takes when changing the registry with no knowledge of how it works or just trusting a program to always do it right is not worth the potential destruction and the time wasted. I have not used ANY registry fixer on my Win7 EVER and FS and all my other games run as fast or faster than the day I bought them.

-Pv-

Here's how I personally clean up my computer.

After updating Windows, on Windows Update Day each month, I first use the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup tool to remove superfluous and leftover files. Then I use the freeware version of Ccleaner to clean the drive and then the registry. Then I use Eusing's freeware Registry Cleaner to clean the registry again, and finally I use Eusing's freeware Registry Defragger to compress the registry.

And guess what? Never any issue with the registry because of this. The only time I had a registry issue was because of a ***** autoinstaller, and Flight 1's registry reset tool put that one right again - thanks again, I've forgotten who pointed me to that one....

Jorgen

ok. thank you guys. I will use ccleaner to clean but I will ignore it for registry cleaning. I am hoping to get my flightsim back up and running like I did before. cause right now I have 0 add ons. and I miss the a2a stuff.

I'm very much in the leave the registry alone camp, especially for those that don't know how the registry works. Very rarely will I have to remove one or two keys left behind by a poorly developed uninstaller, but otherwise I stay away. A modern Windows machine can easily have tens or hundreds of thousands of registry keys, and removing a couple hundred here or there isn't going to do anything. Same goes for defragging the registry. As Windows loads the registry into memory on boot, registry fragmentation is also not a major problem either (and even less so with SSDs). Most of this cleaning and defragging "need" comes from many years ago in the Windows 95-ME era when processors and hard drives were much slower, and those versions of Windows were not as stable as the NT series.

oh ok thank you loki. well I will see what happens I got rid of ccleaner and the registry program I had. and I have not copy and pasted my game folder. so I am hoping I solved this issue. if not I will be turning in the fsx wings for the fs9 wings

• 1 month later...
well this ugly demon rears it's ugly head again. I am wondering if what's causing this is I install it on the same account I set my pc up with? what would happen if I make FSX it's own account would that solve this or will I have to buy FSX again? cause here again I can't fly because of this problem. I also found this http://microsoft.public.simulators.narkive.com/795QnyWl/fsx-acceleration-activation-error-8-c0000006 what do you guys think?

When does the problem go away and when does it come back? What changes?

If it was an account problem, it would not come and go unless you are switching accounts.

Are you using SP2?

-Pv-

the problem goes away after I reformat the pc and reinstall fsx. but it seems to occur again after installing the flight1 cessna152 they have. I do notice when the computer is running that there is something called a Microsoft software protection platform service. running. and no I am not running SP2 and if I shut that off then FSX comes up with this code.

System Protection is a normal process. You cannot disable it for FSX and it does no harm whatsoever.

"but it seems to occur again after installing the flight1 cessna152 they have."

Time to give up on that and move on.

"I am not running SP2"

-Pv-

ok so FSX does not need SP2? and the System Protection when I seen that running and shut it off in the task manager could be what did in FSX? another words seeing that Leave it alone? and does any one else have the flight1 Cessna 152? if so do you have problems with fsx?

There is evidence here there is a language barrier which may have contributed to this thread being overly long with no solution.

"I am not running SP2"

"ok so FSX does not need SP2?"

No. Put in SP2 like the rest of us and get this problem behind you. Most add-ons require SP2. If you want FSX to run as good as it can and the graphics as good as it can, put in SP2. If you want errors, poor graphics, add-on incompatibility, problems which will not go away, don't put in SP2.

"another words seeing that Leave it alone?"

Stop trying to manipulate your operating system based on false assumptions and no understanding of how your OS works.

Stop trying to trick your system based on fringe posts on the internet.

Leave System Protection alone unless being hacked will make your day.

-Pv-

Archived