comets/asteroids

il88pp

Yes they are pretty rare. Random as far as I can tell. I've seen three or four in the last four years. The more time you spend flying at night and looking at large portions of the sky the more likely to see one. Pretty short too. Only a few seconds. Too fast to take a screenshot.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

A few years ago I happened to see them twice in one week at around the same location over eastern Europe/ Russian border. Never before or since until today. That's why I thought it may have been time / location related.

I have also read somewhere they are programmed to coincide with predicted (regularly occuring) meteor showers. But the event seems to rare for that.

I'm not going to start hunting for them, but was very cool to see them again.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:(

i guess ill never see any of those since i allways fly during day

but the question is , has anyone seen ufos ? (excluding the ones in the missions ofcourse)

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I always fly real time since most of my flying when not testing is on Vatsim.

I have seen 3-4 of them in four years. That can seem like forever, but not quite.

Time base has nothing to do with it. I suspect though if your nose is in the cockpit all the time flying under the clouds during day, the chances of seeing one is greatly reduced. Might even be forever.

Also, the times I've seen them I was viewing with wide angle zoom looking up at the stars. In the SR-71 looking up is always dark and stary even in the middle of the day.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I've seen two or three.. I forgot exactly where I was, but the brightest and longest one I

saw, I was either over north Texas, or Oklahoma heading almost due north.

It streaked across my upper windscreen from right to left, and was pretty long lengthwise, but only lasted a split second.. If you blink, you'll miss it.

The others I just barely caught kind of out of the corner of my eyeballs, but pretty

sure they were meteors that I almost missed because I wasn't watching for them.

I went for years and never saw one, but the two or three I've seen were in the last three

or four years. I think all I was flying the 737. I've never seen more than one per instance..

Seems like I saw some aurora FX once when over Alaska or thereabouts one time.

I don't know what version had the first meteors, but I think 2004 did. I never saw one

in it though. Started with FS4, and never saw one until FSX..

I fly at night a good bit, as I almost always fly "real time", and it's often at night.

If it's daytime and I run the 737, I'm usually Southwest most of the time.

But at night when Southwest is asleep, I usually run my various private BBJ's.

But as I recall, the best one I mentioned, I was running Southwest after dark from KHOU

to KTUL as I recall, and pretty sure it was winter, maybe about 9 PM or something like

that. It wasn't real late at night, but it was totally dark.

...but only lasted a split second.. If you blink, you'll miss it.

So it's a lot like Yuma if you're on the freeway!

Sorry, I lived there for almost 30 years, and despised it every minute I was there...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I had an asteroid once...hurt like heck!;) Saw a few flashes go by a couple of times in the dark night sky. I just thought I was seeing things. My first though was a military jet at high altitude with afterburner on. Strange things happen!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted another one tonight over the N Sea near the end of a 5 1/2 hour flight.

Lost count, but this might be 4 or 5 for me so far.

-Pv-

• 10 months later...

Saw a meteor again. (three orbs with tails behind each other).

At very low altitude. While on final RW07C Frankfurt Main EDDF. Altitude ca 800ft. Moving from left to right. (North to South.)

Never seen them this low before. The others I saw where always at 30.000 ft or higher.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I see meteroroids some nights on approach to various airports. I've seen then on final to North Island and Moffet Field in California and one doing bounces on Coupeville NOLF in Washinton State. I saw a few streaking across the sky in Australia, near Ayers Rock, and if my memory hasn't totally deserted me, in the UK a couple times.

They just streak by, 2 or three of them, sometimes all together, sometimes in line, then they're gone.

Never seen any in Yuma, in FSX, but many many times in real life while I was there. Great advantage to working nights :D

GREAT feature, though. I am sure glad FSX included them for us.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived