Class"A" computer tech failed to install Traffic Tool Box.

gdr1944

Hello:

Well I don't feel so bad, he spent over 2 hours at 60 per hr if successful. NOT.

I gave him a two day heads up and warned him that I was not going to pay for his learning curve.

Spent 30 min deleting his dll.xml entries ( cause I really don't know how to enter a proper address)

and I wasn't going to try to get something for nothing.

This time it didn't cost me anything but I know now very few so called tech's know anything about F9 nor FSX.

GDR1944

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

Curious as to why you hired a general tech to install a "game" add-on?

Most people can install FS-related add-ons quite easily following documentation or using an installer.

From my experience and reports I've read, most so-called techs who are totally unfamiliar with a particular entertainment software package don't do well.

Having an investment in the software is a huge incentive in working methodically and getting it right.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

There are other AI traffic tools besides TTB. May people have problems with getting the SDK installed which many of the MS tools require. There are work-arounds (other tools) which do not require the SDK installation and are a lot less painful.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

The instructions to use Traffic Tool Box are simply given in the FSX SDK together with all the necessary files.

Either you haven't installed the SDK or your Class "A" Technician (what ever that may be?) is incompetent, or both.

The instructions to use Traffic Tool Box are simply given in the FSX SDK together with all the necessary files.

Either you haven't installed the SDK or your Class "A" Technician (what ever that may be?) is incompetent, or both.

Well..SDK was installed when I first installed FSX_Gold_Deluxe_Acceleration.

For me I can read instructions a dozen+ and still not get it.

UP DATE..I just took a look inside the SDK folder and sub folders, NO instructions

I'm pretty sure my problem is the dll.xml

If I recall correctly, I believe the SDK version has match the version of FSX in order for the Tools to appear in the menu. If you have FSX:Accel, I believe you have to install the SDK from the Accel disc. I remember I was going round and round trying to get Tools to appear in the menu bar and stumbled upon that solution.
http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Check to see if the paths are all OK and all the file are there.. Here's my Traffic Toolbox:

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

It works fine. Bob.

MY dll.xml.

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK \traffictoolbox.dll

Try adding the line in red to your dll.xml...

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK \traffictoolbox.dll

Delete the existing path, everything between and

In Windows Explorer navigate to the SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK folder.

In the title bar of Windows Explorer highlight and copy the whole path.

Paste the path where the original path was.

Save the file and start the sim.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

You obviously installed your FSX on a different drive and path (F:\FSX), so "..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" translates to "F:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK". Is this where you installed the SDK?

Please post the path where your FSX SDK is installed. We can then tell you what to put in the DLL.XML.

Hint: If you didn't change the SDK path when installing, it should either be in "C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" or "C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK", depending on your OS.

To repeat: you will have to find the "traffictoolbox.dll", which will be in the SDK folder (whereever you installed the SDK). Then you have to provide the complete and exact path (or 'address' as you like to call it) of the file 'traffictoolbox.dll' in the DLL.XML.

Howdy and thanks I really appreciate your help

I have two dll.xml's

One is located in the orgional SDK folder

F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK

I did NOT edit.

The other:

Still does not work.

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK

Shortened

Add this...

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Shortened

[added]

You are logging on to your computer from an account named owner, correct?

[/added]

Never argue with idiots.

I guess so or none of the other files would work:

Folder (Controls)

Folder (SimObjects)

Folder (Substitutions) ( I have no idea what this does)

Cameras.cfg

EXE.xml ( I have no idea what this does)

fsx.CFG

ProKey.dll

scenery.cfg

simconnect.xml (don't know what this is doing here)

LWcfg.xml ( I have no idea what this does)

What The Bean said.

You need to provide the exact name / path (or "address" to you) of the DLL to be called in "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\DLL.XML".

In your case: "F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll"

FSX needs to know which DynamicLinkLibrary you want it to load exactly, it cannot just guess which DLL you have in mind.

EXE.XML does the same thing, but for EXEs instead of DLLs (examples: Ultimate Traffic 2, EZDOK camera get hooked in there)

simconnect.xml belongs there. Once you get along with this stuff a bit better, you need that one to configure your remote SuperTrafficBoard. Btw I own the STB too, and have it installed on a remote computer. I might be able to help you to get it running.

AFAIK the LWcfg.xml is about land and boat traffic, and is a decompiled version of the LWcfg.SPB - but don't quote me on that. Leave it alone for now.

OH..I see my error..finely.

That did it !!!!!

I bet you guys are glad that's over.

Owe every one explanation.

Because of a medical problem I'm taking heavy meds (for some time now) and I'm

kinda hard headed anyway.

Thanks to all

I guess so or none of the other files would work:

ProKey.dll

That would be the ADE ProKey and it belongs in C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 165\Plugins

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Archived