I like FS9 better

N33029

Gang,

A friend let me try FSX on his newer computer. Flying the P-51D Mustang was really fun - I climbed, turned 270 degrees and made a strafing run at the airport, crossing the runway about ten feet off the deck at 400 IAS. But the third time I flew it, I didn't like the fact that in that aircraft I had to use the hat switch to look between forward and the instrument panel, which isn't a problem in 2004. I decided to invest in some upgrades for 2004 so I can work my way up through the ratings ladder. I got really lucky and won VHS tapes from King Schools covering ground school and IFR ground school.

Before I watched any of them I actually tried an IFR approach. Boy was that ever hard - just the thing to make FS great :) I actually didn't manage to land on the IFR approach.

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Have been flight simming for 25 years now and only use P3D and FS2004. Also got tired of the tweaking with FSX even though I have a nice computer built for gaming. Do wish there were more fully functional large jets with nice VC's such as the Ifly and PMDG birds.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

About to get a gaming PC built and hope I understand that FS2004 will work with Windows 8.1. Am I wrong?

Considering X-Plane to avoid the steam thing with a 3rd party involved in FSX.

Prepar3D also considered and am building PC to work with that. $$$$ involved with P3D and might be more technical than I want, but, video looks good.

Thoughts?

I am running Windows 8.1 fine with FS2004. The only issue that I found was running in full screen the aircraft menu is black.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

I like FS9 better as well. What is the point in purchasing a beautiful Carenado aircraft if you have to fly it around in a crappy looking environment on FSX. Oh you want the environment to look better? Just move the graphic sliders to "medium low" and it will look a bit better, but then the frame rates are so sluggish your beautiful Carenado airplane is now UN-flyable! It skips, it jerks, and it lags to the point you think your pc is about to crash before it temporarily smooths out, and then starts over again. Yeah I know I only have four gigs of RAM and a video card with only two gigs of dedicated RAM, but you'd think it would do ok since the minimum requirements for FSX are less than what I actually have. Anyway, that's my FSX rant. I can fly my Carenado aircraft on FS9 with the settings maxed, 100% AI traffic (if I want) and with many addons. Smooooth as silk!

I fly with 3 friends that use P3D and they gave up on FSX as well. But P3D just had an update and almost nothing as far a addons now work with P3D. They have big bucks invested in hardware and can't use the sim at full. They do like their awesome graphics. I am looking to get a newer pc but I can't see spending $1000 or more to play a $10 sim, so I'll be sticking with FS9 and all my extra addons with my sliders at 100% and no system crashes. My only thing now is I have so much in addons it takes 7 minutes or more to boot up the sim. Nice problem to have though ... lol

I have tried to do what many on this site have advised.....and they gave me good advice....I have a gaming computer built by a professional computer person who owns a business..cost me $1500....it is not perfect but good....and FSX runs pretty well and when there is a freeze it continues on in about 7 minutes or so....and I have lots of payware scenery ....I no longer use FS9 at all for many reasons stated here that simmers wish FS9 had....I also have Steam and looking forward to the future with that....so ...we will see ...won't all of us....lol...al v

Well, if you're in flight school on a budget and want something to practice procedures on, FS9 all the way. As long as I've been doing this, it hasn't been for the scenery. Spending big bucks for a rig is not for me. I have a laptop loaded with add ons and an external hard drive that serves as my hangar. I never tweaked FSX but didn't like starting in the VC. I just started with the virtual airlines and the repaints aren't always available. There's a lack of support for some products and other that don't work with win7. Given the pro's and con's I'll keep FS9.

I've thought about getting a full blown simulator such as the airlines use since they don't seem to suffer from frame rate problems. But then I realised that they cost about UK£20m which rules them out as I'm on a limited budget. And goodness knows what any addons would cost :rolleyes:

So, taking all things into consideration, I think that FS9 isn't such a bad deal after all.

Dijvid

I have have built up my FS2004 setup over the years and have everything the way I want it. I just built a new Windows 7 box and it works great. I also have FSX and will getting that going.

I enjoy the flying and FS2004 is great for me! Especially as I have put so much effort into it and may not have the time to do it again on FSX.

I totally agree as I have both but I have spent years on FS9 and it is now 200Gb with add ons such as aircraft, scenery and AES, Some paid for others downloaded form Flightsim.com and others. i have a wee routine now that when I fly I give the Captain a letter asking for all their paperwork after the flight and the majority oblige and most invite me on the flight deck once we have landed, since 9/11 they don't let you on during the flight

At our Virtual Club, we have built up an Avro Shackleton sim, using actual yokes, pedals, seats, etc, as well as an Aeromacchi MB326 twin seater, known here in South Africa as an "Impala". Used by the South African Air Force as a trainer. We using FS9, with the freeware Aeroworx South African scenery. Obviously using FS9. Far less hassles than FSX. I have 2x versions of FS9 on my laptop. The standard version, & "Golden Wings". I'm actually debating on installing a 3rd version soley for the planes & scenery from http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/ These guys, Garry & Ed, have the most amazing range of free planes, scenery & other stuff. So worthwhile going to have a look...

So, to FSX, Meh!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Guest Sascha66
... freeware Aeroworx South African scenery.

I didn't know about that one! As for the Ford Project, I am a big fan of Garry et al.'s work, I can recommend it highly!

I am faithful to FS9!

Amen brother!

Up until recently, I used to say I stick with FS9 mainly because FSX and P3D don't deliver enough extra juice compared to FS9, to make the extra resources needed by FSX (HDD space, processing power etc) worth the upgrade, in my case at least. Also, I've invested tons of work time on scenery, utilities, aircraft and so on, and lotsa money to make my FS9 the jewel that is today; just the thought of starting it all over again with FSX, gives me fever. And then...albeit I've had quite a few issues with FS9 (all of them getting fixed in no more than 3 days), I strongly believe that this is nothing compared to what FSX would have to throw at me.

These used to be the main reasons behind my faithfulness to FS9...but lately, seeing how the newest sims evolve on the FS stage, my faithfulness to FS9 has only intensified...I mean c'mon...there are so may versions and splinters of FSX popping up these days like mushrooms following a generous load of rain, that it's hard to keep track of them all, certain developers are developing addons only for a specific sim, other developers are developing for another sim only, and so on, they don't all concentrate on a single sim, so if you wanna be able to enjoy all the new addons making their way on the FS market, you'd have to own all these new sims, not to mention each version of each sim...that's a nightmare! Back in the golden era, you had one brand new sim - FS2004 - and everyone used to develop for IT; you could have everything you wanted, without having to worry about owning the wrong/incompatible latest simulator. And all addons used to work with it, as there were no such things as FS9 Acceleration, FS9 Deluxe or FS9 Holly Molly-only compatible addons.

In certain ways, FS2004 is unbeatable. :p

kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

Archived