FSX Graphics issues

In addition to black screen I have these issues:

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag304/Speedbird48/2015-3-4_15-50-14-115_zpsrupxu4nh.png

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag304/Speedbird48/2015-3-4_15-50-1-491_zps0umt5fvu.png

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag304/Speedbird48/2015-3-4_15-40-56-249_zpsnputwdw2.png

I am not doing a reinstall as the risks are too great, if It does not work at least two days of effort will be wasted. If there is a way too have two copies of fsx on the same computer let me know. And please do not repeat advice I already have gotten, if you told me to try something. I would, if it did not work. I would let you know.

Intel i7 fourth gen (3.5ghz) 16GB RAM EVGA GTX660 Windows 10 64bit Pro edition

... And please do not repeat advice I already have gotten, if you told me to try something. I would, if it did not work. I would let you know.
Just how are we to know what advice you've already been given? :rolleyes: ...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

In addition to black screen I have these issues:

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag304/Speedbird48/2015-3-4_15-50-14-115_zpsrupxu4nh.png

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag304/Speedbird48/2015-3-4_15-50-1-491_zps0umt5fvu.png

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag304/Speedbird48/2015-3-4_15-40-56-249_zpsnputwdw2.png

I am not doing a reinstall as the risks are too great, if It does not work at least two days of effort will be wasted. If there is a way too have two copies of fsx on the same computer let me know. And please do not repeat advice I already have gotten, if you told me to try something. I would, if it did not work. I would let you know.

How about starting with what you have already tried? Otherwise we're fishing in the dark here, no?

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

My apologies, so far I have tried updating my Drivers to the most recent version known to work with fsx, removing all my add on scenery, and himemefix. All this greatly reduced the issue but it reappeared with the Aerosoft a320. I just assumed it was an aircraft specific issue as it did not occur on any other plane. Until it reappeared on the PMDG 777 (a plane which appeared to not have this issue). In case I have not specified already, the issue appears whenever I press alt enter, or sometimes when I open a fsx menu. I also run FSRealwxLite, and Pro Flight Emulator. While with the two planes I mentioned the problem is fairly consistent, with all other planes it is a very random issue.

I'll say it again, it's a hardware issue. I had the exact same black sky and blue mountains. Sometimes it would happen, sometimes not but it went away when I got a stronger graphics card.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

That card should be good enough if it's a 2gig card, which is what I see if I google it..

But the symptoms pointing to it running out of video memory, VAS, or some such..

Wonder if you totally cleaned all previous driver files before installing new drivers..

Maybe a clash between driver files.. Or it could be the video card is getting flaky,

or hot. Check fan if it has one.. Or maybe VAS is getting real low.

And yes, you can install multiple copies of FSX on a single drive, or multiple drives.

I have three copies on various drives on this box. Just name the one you want to use,

FSX, or whatever it is now, and rename the other copies folders something else so they

won't be noticed. I use FSX for my running copy, and have another one FSX-new, and

another backup of my running copy as FSX-back. It will only see the one that is

correctly named. If you want to switch, rename one of the others the correct name,

and rename the previous to a name that the registry won't see.

When you reload the 2nd version, it will reload the scenery database, and should fire

right up. I've done it a zillion times, so I know it will work. And it doesn't matter what

drive or partition the other copies are on, just as long as the one you want to use has

the correct folder name, and the ones you don't want to use, have something else.

If you want to install a fresh copy, rename your present FSX folder something else before

installing a new copy.

Also.. something else you might try first. Let your present FSX copy install a fresh new

fsx.cfg file. That can often cure all kinds of ailments. To do that, just rename the present

fsx.cfg to something else, like fsx.bak, and then fire up the sim. You will have to reset

your preferences, etc, etc, but if there is a cfg problem, it might help.

If not, just rename the fsx.bak, back to fsx.cfg, and it will be back as it was.

You seem to have multiple posts on same or similar problem(s).

To avoid confusing people or wasting their time, you should fully resolve a problem in a thread before starting another round of 20 questions trying to understand the history behind your complaint. These graphic and blackscreen issues have been discussed at great length in more than one thread as the following for example.

By keeping a family of complaints within a thread, you demonstrate respect fro those trying to help you. Our time is valuable too.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?287353-Are-invisible-menus-normal

For a complete history:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/member.php?677762-Speedbird-ATC

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I'll say it again, it's a hardware issue. I had the exact same black sky and blue mountains. Sometimes it would happen, sometimes not but it went away when I got a stronger graphics card.

I honestly doubt that the Nvidia GTX 660 is not a strong enough graphics card... Maybe there is an issue with it? Because I doubt I need to pay more then 200$s for a graphics card to play FSX...

That card should be good enough if it's a 2gig card, which is what I see if I google it..

But the symptoms pointing to it running out of video memory, VAS, or some such..

Wonder if you totally cleaned all previous driver files before installing new drivers..

Maybe a clash between driver files.. Or it could be the video card is getting flaky,

or hot. Check fan if it has one.. Or maybe VAS is getting real low.

And yes, you can install multiple copies of FSX on a single drive, or multiple drives.

I have three copies on various drives on this box. Just name the one you want to use,

FSX, or whatever it is now, and rename the other copies folders something else so they

won't be noticed. I use FSX for my running copy, and have another one FSX-new, and

another backup of my running copy as FSX-back. It will only see the one that is

correctly named. If you want to switch, rename one of the others the correct name,

and rename the previous to a name that the registry won't see.

When you reload the 2nd version, it will reload the scenery database, and should fire

right up. I've done it a zillion times, so I know it will work. And it doesn't matter what

drive or partition the other copies are on, just as long as the one you want to use has

the correct folder name, and the ones you don't want to use, have something else.

If you want to install a fresh copy, rename your present FSX folder something else before

installing a new copy.

Also.. something else you might try first. Let your present FSX copy install a fresh new

fsx.cfg file. That can often cure all kinds of ailments. To do that, just rename the present

fsx.cfg to something else, like fsx.bak, and then fire up the sim. You will have to reset

your preferences, etc, etc, but if there is a cfg problem, it might help.

If not, just rename the fsx.bak, back to fsx.cfg, and it will be back as it was.

Thanks, I still don't understand how folders (like the app data roaming fsx one) won't collide. Also, how do you clean the old drivers files?

The simplest and least risky way to keep graphics drivers you aren't using from loading (usually called "ghost" drivers) is to use the Windows Device Manager.

Details on doing this could get too complicated to post here, but some Google searches on using Device Manager to disable video drivers will get you some quick and fairly painless results.

Until get get your current FSX installation stable and enjoyable, you should avoid complicating your problems by adding another FSX installation.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

One simple way to test for computer hardware/OS issue to to try another DX-9 game.

If you don't have any, even a trial game should do the trick.

-Pv-

Don't install again. What they suggest just creates a new "microsoft flight simulator X" folder. (just as copying the folder would do.)

It does not create a new registry entry. other appdata folders, etc.

They are using the same fsx.cfg file with all ""Installs"".

They just rename the msfsx folder, so other but the startup entry is still the same one. They trick windows into thinking it is the "correct" msfsx folder by renaming.

This could cause a lot of trouble in itself. For example when you add an addon airport to on ""Install"" it is also an entry in one of the systems folders. But then when you rename the msfsx folder (to use the other ""Install"") the addon is not there and fsx throws a tantrum.

But, re-installing would be a good idea nonetheless!!

You say (in post one?): "I don't want to spend two days reinstalling everything"

YOU HAVE BEEN AT IT FOR THREE MONTHS NOW!!!

Spending two days reinstalling, and a few days extra to make sure you do it right, would be the best choice you can make.

Much better then spending another three MONTHS at this issue.

If reinstalling the two addon aircraft that caused the problem, and removing all your other addons, has not done the trick, that's the only way to go.

Apart from buying a new graphics card, or borrowing one from someone, to test if yours is the problem.

Just start over. It's really not that horrible to start fresh. Every time you do you get better at it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And - if you do reinstall - do it correctly. I don't know where your present installation is located, but if you decide to reinstall, do it to C:\FSX or something like that, NOT - repeat NOT - to the default path.

Better still, if you reinstall and can afford it, then get another (fast) hard drive and install FSX to that.

Jorgen

This could cause a lot of trouble in itself. For example when you add an addon airport to on ""Install"" it is also an entry in one of the systems folders. But then when you rename the msfsx folder (to use the other ""Install"") the addon is not there and fsx throws a tantrum.

It will just bring up a warning that "??? scenery not found or whatever.. You just click OK

and continue to fire up the sim. Not a major issue.

• 2 months later...
OK, I did a clean install with aerosoft A320 being the only addon. And I still get the error! I was reading around in the avsim forums and someone else had this error too! Several suggestions said it was RAM related... Is this theory likely? If so, what steps should I take to fix it! Here is a copy of my settings if it would help...settings.txt

Looks to me , as previously noted Hardware issue within the gfx rendering.

before you do any further reinstals, drivers , hardware etc. . Give you entire rig a clean. PSu heat sink, gfx card and all fans especially. Im just wondering if you have an over heat issue on your hardware.

Its not a ram issue unless you are having a heat issue prior to the render.

I would suggest loading the FSX on a separate drive if you're able to outside of the OS C:

If you are required to do a new instal. run fsx vanilla with no add ons first and get that stable.

OK, I will clean it in a bit. Also, vanilla FSX was stable, and even now the issue does not persist with low detail addons and default planes/scenery. If you are wondering where I got the idea that this is ram related here is the thread:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/416000-fsx-black-screen-error/

If it was a thermal problem the OS would crash and reboot, possibly with blue screens. Mainboards have thermal protection built into them designed to shut down the computer to prevent permanent damage to the CPU.

**The only way to COMPLETELY eliminate the possibility of a hardware failure is to run another game which is known to not have your problem and will not be as immediately accessible to tweaking and add-ons as FSX is currently to you. **

What happens when you run any other game but FSX?

If you don't have one, install an intense 3D flight simulation game demo like DCS World and see if the game runs without crashing or major graphics artifacts.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/release/

If that demo runs fine (I think it comes with two free aircraft) then it's your FSX which is messed up and probably needs to have a CLEAN re-install.

If you are running Deluxe, make sure updated to SP2. Otherwise, keep the sim clean through to the Acceleration install. If the game breaks after that, then it's

an add-on, tweak, or options causing it.

The simple fact that what is happening to you is not happening to everyone is a strong clue there is something you are doing or a defect in your hardware. Only YOU can sort it out after 3-6 months of suggestions by a lot of smart people here.

-Pv-

Archived