Is VATSIM only for Airliners and commercial flights?

beany_bot

So all day I've been pouring over VATSIM information, I'm doing pretty well and know lots about it already and have answered most of my own questions along the way....except 1, possibly stupid but seemingly glaring question..

Can I fly my Cessna on VATSIM?

Everything but everything is geared towards big commercial IFR flights. To the extent that you must put a flightplan in before starting. I just want to fly my Cessna around the countryside on a nice day!? I mean, that happens in real life doesnt it?

I even checked on VATTASTIC and every single plane I looked at was an airliner? Is it possible to use VATSIM and just fly my cessna around VFR?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but thanks,

Yes, you can fly your GA around in VATSIM, but...

...what is the point? It is just as "lonely" an experience as flying off-line with only the default AI and ATC! :confused:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Well, it seems the point would be that it NOT be so lonely. In the real world, a GA pilot would see and hear other GA pilots as well as Airliner comms. If I'm flying from my home airport KUAO (Aurora, OR) to 4S2 in Hood River OR, I would need to interact with Portland approach and Seattle center. I can requiest a flight following and be handed off from one to the other. Yes, I'm not getting clearances or other services but I do interact with ATC.

I too, as a GA pilot, have considered VATSIM but it does seem largely geard toward the heavies. I guess it would require some critical mass of GA pilots to create a more diverse environment.

Kent

FSX: Intel i7 4790k @4.0Ghz 8Gb DDR3 1333 GTX 650 Ti 2GB GPU Win7(64) Pro

AddOns: ORBX PNW, Pacific Fjords, NRM; A2A AccuFeel

If I had VATSIM I'd wave as ya went by, Kent, maybe invite ya down to a $100.00 hamburger at Melita's across 97 from the airport. :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yes, you can fly your GA around in VATSIM, but...

...what is the point? It is just as "lonely" an experience as flying off-line with only the default AI and ATC! :confused:

I dunno, Im not a pilot in real life but im pretty sure if you asked any pilot "what would you rather be doing, be at work flying a bunch of people from birmingham to amsterdam, or flying a light aircraft around your favourite scenery for fun" Im pretty sure I would know the answer.

I dunno, Im not a pilot in real life but im pretty sure if you asked any pilot "what would you rather be doing, be at work flying a bunch of people from birmingham to amsterdam, or flying a light aircraft around your favourite scenery for fun" Im pretty sure I would know the answer.

You are exactly right! Why Vatsim never appealed to me. Many GA flyers together at a busy airport would be fun but this commercial stuff is just boring! Plus, from my experience, many Vatsim controllers barely know how to handle GA flights. Ive had to instruct them! They want to give you an IFR clearance when you filed VFR.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

You are exactly right! Why Vatsim never appealed to me. Many GA flyers together at a busy airport would be fun but this commercial stuff is just boring! Plus, from my experience, many Vatsim controllers barely know how to handle GA flights. Ive had to instruct them! They want to give you an IFR clearance when you filed VFR.

I actually flew or tried to fly my first vatsim flight tonight and was told I had to fly an IFR flight plan. (flying from edinburgh to glasgow in a cessna in fine weahter) noone in their right mind would do that!

I don't fly on vatsim, only read the instructions, but I think the reason for the flightplan is so controllers along the way will know in advance you are coming. That makes it just a little easyer for ATC.

Vatsim uses real world rules as much as possible. Airspace class, ground, tower, departure, approach etc. As long as you stay out of the way of arriving and departing traffic there will be on problem. But circling in an airport area is not a good idea. Controlling the arrivals and departures there is a full time job and you will get asked to move off, or you will get disconnected from the session so you need to start again.

Many people use default scenery still. For them, flying low level, esp at night, gets boring soon, especially if your country is at sea level. Even by day things look the same and colours are bland. From altitude you see the coastlines, five airports at a time, large city's, and the starssigns. You get a feel for the whole continent you live on.

I think thats the appeal of airline traffic.

Not sure about the vat, but there are flight servers where you can be a member of a virtual airline (VA). Together you fly 'jobs' transporting passengers. It creates a tight bond and you can learn a lot from each other. Some VA's have their own site, or facebook page.

There are many online flying sites, vat is only one of them. Some centered around a small area, some fly as you like, some with automated atc at airports only, etc.

And, it is all about meeting people, while flying as you always do. Your fsx will not change. What you see is still the same scenery, airports, etc. Only the traffic differs. You will see the name of the other players in see above the planes now.

Also, to be able to meet the others at the airports it is often required to use the same addon they use. If there is a small difference in airport location, you will see them parked in your buildings, while for them you are parked on and blocking the taxiway. Large diff and you will see noone, they are all parked a mile away.

Read all instructions carefully. It has a queer learning curve. On vatsim there are great courses, pilot training. I would definitely start doing one of those first, to clear up some remaining questions. And then, the best way to learn is to try.

Enjoy!

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been on a few GA bimbles around Sussex on Vatsim. Filed a VFR flight plan (took about 30 seconds in vPilot). Unicom on departure. Requested and received a Basic Service in flight.

I like the big jets, but it would be great if more Vatsim pilots congregated at a good GA airfield. Somewhere like Shoreham in England or Squamish, Canada.

Pat, sounds like a deal :) I don't get down south much as my ORBX purchases don't extend that far south.

If I had VATSIM I'd wave as ya went by, Kent, maybe invite ya down to a $100.00 hamburger at Melita's across 97 from the airport. :D

Pat☺

Kent

FSX: Intel i7 4790k @4.0Ghz 8Gb DDR3 1333 GTX 650 Ti 2GB GPU Win7(64) Pro

AddOns: ORBX PNW, Pacific Fjords, NRM; A2A AccuFeel

I also have reviewed the Vatsim site and installed some software that showed where the planes were on a world map. What I saw looked lonelier than if I were flying offline with the ATC. I use FS9 with MyTraffic and there is a lot of real time chatter going on with the ATC, AI and me and with FSPassenger and its copilot there is plenty going on.

It sure would be nice to hookup on FShost with more GA pilots. I keep looking but I don't see anyone flying there either, only airliners and jets. I do fly once a week with 3 other friends GA flights via FShost and using both FS9 and P3D sims.

Do folks know about FSHost or just choose not to fly online anymore?

Archived