Very annoying ATC. What is this?

beany_bot

This has happened to me a few times now, quite a few times in my FS life. Just what on earth is it.

So your coming if for approach, I think this only happens on a VFR approach but im not sure. And then something like this happens

Cessna xxx turn left heading 255

then 1 min later

Cessna xxx turn right heading 300

then 1 min later

.... you get the picture.

What causes this?? It's so annoying. And yes I follow each instruction until I get so annoyed I just switch the radio off.

Crosswind pushing you off the intended flight path and ATC vectoring you back on intercept course? If you don't compensate for the wind, you end up staying on the same heading, but you are blown sideways off the track. This would only happen with small aircraft in fairly strong winds, that is why you percieve it as a VFR problem. Just a theory though.

This has happened to me a few times now, quite a few times in my FS life. Just what on earth is it.

So your coming if for approach, I think this only happens on a VFR approach but im not sure. And then something like this happens

then 1 min later

then 1 min later

.... you get the picture.

What causes this?? It's so annoying. And yes I follow each instruction until I get so annoyed I just switch the radio off.

Standard answer, try real ATC, like Vatsim.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Crosswind pushing you off the intended flight path and ATC vectoring you back on intercept course? If you don't compensate for the wind, you end up staying on the same heading, but you are blown sideways off the track. This would only happen with small aircraft in fairly strong winds, that is why you percieve it as a VFR problem. Just a theory though.

hmm, thats possible there was a 46kt wind coming from 2 O'clock at the time. I was in a Cessna 182. Over the years it has happened quite a few times, both in FS9 and FSX. Would be suprised if this hasn't happened to anyone else.

Standard answer, try real ATC, like Vatsim.

Funny you should say that. While googling the problem I came across VATSIM and I am very interested. I have registered and will download squakbox when I get home. Just a question, is vatsim just a big voice communication or does it literally change the aircraft you see in game? would you be "flying multiplayer" with all aircraft being real people? That sounds really cool. Also what about weather? Is that globally controlled?

hmm, thats possible there was a 46kt wind coming from 2 O'clock at the time. I was in a Cessna 182. Over the years it has happened quite a few times, both in FS9 and FSX. Would be suprised if this hasn't happened to anyone else.

Seems plausible enough that you get blown "a little" off track. You should be flying a certain route with heading 255. You get blown to the left and you are very slow. You compensate only for the heading, but instead you need to turn into the wind a lot more to compensate for the drift too. So ATC vectors you back on intercept course 300, then back on track 255. And so on.

Don't think the 182 should be flying in these conditions anyway, max crosswind is something around 15 kt is it not?

Funny you should say that. While googling the problem I came across VATSIM and I am very interested. I have registered and will download squakbox when I get home. Just a question, is vatsim just a big voice communication or does it literally change the aircraft you see in game? would you be "flying multiplayer" with all aircraft being real people? That sounds really cool.

And for the real kick try PilotEdge (coverage only for California though)

It's just good ol' FSX ATC doing its thing. It's not because of the weather, winds, crosswinds or your plane. And don't worry, you can fly in FSX in any kind of conditions and not have anyone come after you.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Seems plausible enough that you get blown "a little" off track. You should be flying a certain route with heading 255. You get blown to the left and you are very slow. You compensate only for the heading, but instead you need to turn into the wind a lot more to compensate for the drift too. So ATC vectors you back on intercept course 300, then back on track 255. And so on.

Don't think the 182 should be fyling in these conditions anyway, max crosswind is something around 15 kt is it not?

Yeah the weather engine was being really weird yesterday (standard FSX download real weather aloft data) I't kept saying Calm, 29.92, clear skies. But soon after takeoff would change. I don't know how to best describe it but in the air it was 46kts but anywhere near the runway it was calm. I wasn't truly on "approach" when this happened, about 20mins out.

Yeah the weather engine was being really weird yesterday (standard FSX download real weather aloft data) I't kept saying Calm, 29.92, clear skies. But soon after takeoff would change. I don't know how to best describe it but in the air it was 46kts but anywhere near the runway it was calm. I wasn't truly on "approach" when this happened, about 20mins out.

You could check if this really is the problem by tuning a VOR at the airport (or your advised flight path), then turning the indicator until it points directly at it. That way you will notice if you get blown off track (the radial actually). And you could gauge how much you need to compensate to stay where you are supposed to be.

When you need to compensate 45 degree angle to intercept course you must be flying throu a hurricane..

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's just good ol' FSX ATC doing its thing. It's not because of the weather, winds, crosswinds or your plane. And don't worry, you can fly in FSX in any kind of conditions and not have anyone come after you.

+1

Why I fly VFR

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

I've always thought these weird vectorings were just FSX 'logic' needing to keep track of your aircraft and route it into the time/space routing of AI traffic approaching the same airport. Note, this stuff usually does not start until you are on descent/approach.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

Funny you should say that. While googling the problem I came across VATSIM and I am very interested. I have registered and will download squakbox when I get home. Just a question, is vatsim just a big voice communication or does it literally change the aircraft you see in game? would you be "flying multiplayer" with all aircraft being real people? That sounds really cool. Also what about weather? Is that globally controlled?

I see you will be using SquawkBox, so VATSIM every plane you see will be controlled by a live person. The planes that you see will be only limited to the planes you have on your system, so if someone is flying a B737-200 but you dont have a B737-200, you might see a B737-800 for their plane.

Weather is whatever you have on your system. Though it is preferred you have the current weather so there will be a smaller chance of conflicts with runway choice.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Archived