Major scenery problem

Hi all.

I've stated in a couple of recent threads that Ive purchased a new system for FSX (specs below) and I'm in the process of installing and setting up FSX and add-ons. I have a 3 monitor set up. Ive installed Active Sky Next and Traffic X after FSX. Got a major problem though and I'm not sure what I've done.

The scenery is all messed up and looks like this

2015-3-3_8-50-20-800.jpg

I'm sure someone will know what has happened. Am I going to have to reinstall everything?

Please help

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

I think what you haven't done is; install one thing, test by playing fsx for a week or two, making sure everything works, plan ahead a bit, and only then install the next thing.

Not following that thorough process is asking for trouble.

On the other hand, it could also be something simple, like way to high graphics settings, or using the wrong videocard driver, or a damaged videocard.

If the simple solutions do not work, I would be reinstalling. You have not personalised your install yet editing and adding all you sceneries and aircraft. So reinstalling won't take to much time. Trying to fix this could take well longer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I, too, would look to the graphics card before doing anything else. My suggestion is to drop back to a single monitor, reinstall the video drivers and see if that makes any improvement. That's a great system BTW.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I think what you haven't done is; install one thing, test by playing fsx for a week or two, making sure everything works, plan ahead a bit, and only then install the next thing.

Not following that thorough process is asking for trouble.

On the other hand, it could also be something simple, like way to high graphics settings, or using the wrong videocard driver, or a damaged videocard.

If the simple solutions do not work, I would be reinstalling. You have not personalised your install yet editing and adding all you sceneries and aircraft. So reinstalling won't take to much time. Trying to fix this could take well longer.

After installing FSX I did start the simulator but only with the aircraft on the ground where everything looked fine (at the airport), obviously not checking the scenery outside the airport. So in that sense I have made the mistake.

The graphics card settings after installation were defaulted to extremely high, I presume this is because it recognised the system as a decent one. So before I started a flight plan I dropped the settings to medium. Ive done this again since I noticed the problem and the problem still exists.

It is a brand new video card and the drivers were installed by the reputable company I purchased the computer from. The system obviously recognises both cards as I set up the three monitors (two monitors to the first card and 1 monitor to the 2nd card), so does this mean the both cards are in working order or could the card still be damaged even though it is recognised? One thing I will say is, when I received the system Saturday gone, there we 2 USB leads coming from inside the case (out the back). I have tried to contact the companies technical dept. about this but they have not got back to me yet. Could this be something to do with the graphics card?, do they need to be plugged in? I cant tell where the leads are going to inside.

If I install the drivers again, do I need to uninstall them first or will they just replace the originally installed driver? forgive me, I've just started learning 3 weeks ago, I new nothing before then.

I would be willing to uninstall then reinstall as, as you say, I only have two add-ons installed. Does uninstalling FSX totally clear the system? I'm worried that the windows uninstaller will leave files on system leading to duplicate files after installing it again. Obviously If I did uninstall I would search the web to find out how to do it properly.

Hope I've made sense in what I've said and Thanks for your reply.

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

I, too, would look to the graphics card before doing anything else. My suggestion is to drop back to a single monitor, reinstall the video drivers and see if that makes any improvement. That's a great system BTW.....

Doug

When I reinstall the video drivers, do I have to uninstall them first? I don't think I do but I'm not entirely sure.

Thank you very much, I did a lot of research before I purchased the system, and it does seem to be the right system for FSX. However I'm starting to feel apprehensive after this issue I'm having.

I'm leaning towards a graphics card issue.

Is there anyway of testing the card? How would I know for sure. Obviously the card is under warranty. I'm a little annoyed at the companies tech dept. Been trying to contact them since Saturday and customer service say its because they are so busy.

Thanks for reply

When I reinstall the video drivers, do I have to uninstall them first? I don't think I do but I'm not entirely sure.

Thank you very much, I did a lot of research before I purchased the system, and it does seem to be the right system for FSX. However I'm starting to feel apprehensive after this issue I'm having.

Yes, uninstall the drivers first. See here for how to do that: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html .

Then, download and install the latest drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us .

The best guide I know of on uninstalling FSX is here: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

But, all that said, I didn't realize you had purchased the system ready-made. I wouldn't do anything until I talked to the tech support folks.

Don't feel too apprehensive. Things will get sorted out and you certainly have one of the best setups for FSX that I could think of.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Before going too berserk over a possible Graphics Card problem, What does your Scenery Library look like. Is it possible that something may need to put up at the top where now it's sitting too low in the scenery order?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yes, uninstall the drivers first. See here for how to do that: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html .

Then, download and install the latest drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us .

The best guide I know of on uninstalling FSX is here: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

But, all that said, I didn't realize you had purchased the system ready-made. I wouldn't do anything until I talked to the tech support folks.

Don't feel too apprehensive. Things will get sorted out and you certainly have one of the best setups for FSX that I could think of.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

The system did come ready made but when I ordered it I had to chose and configure what components went into it, from the case to the hard drives, so in that sense it was pre built for me.

Your right though, I need to speak to the tech guys before I do anything. They might advise me to reinstall drivers too. I just wish they'd get back to me.

Thanks for the links, I will use them but I will speak with support first.

After installing FSX I did start the simulator but only with the aircraft on the ground where everything looked fine (at the airport), obviously not checking the scenery outside the airport. So in that sense I have made the mistake.

after instaaling fsx, you should run the sim once, and only after that install acelleration (if you have it). I hope you did that.

The graphics card settings after installation were defaulted to extremely high, I presume this is because it recognised the system as a decent one...

Seems ok to me.

It is a brand new video card and the drivers were installed by the reputable company I purchased the computer from. The system obviously recognises both cards as I set up the three monitors (two monitors to the first card and 1 monitor to the 2nd card), so does this mean the both cards are in working order or could the card still be damaged even though it is recognised?

If I install the drivers again, do I need to uninstall them first or will they just replace the originally installed driver? forgive me, I've just started learning 3 weeks ago, I new nothing before then.

I don't know if they installed the most recent drivers, but I can't really advise. I only use one card myself. I wouldn't even know how to install drivers for two cards, sorry.

When I (one card) install the lates nvidia driver it replaces the old one fine. No need to remove that first.

One thing I will say is, when I received the system Saturday gone, there we 2 USB leads coming from inside the case (out the back)... Could this be something to do with the graphics card?, do they need to be plugged in? I cant tell where the leads are going to inside.

No idea what those are for. Are they reallty USB plugs?? Normal "male" ones?

If they are "female connectors" I could imagine you have internal USB connectors inside that they connected so you can use them with a device outside the computer. If so they would be "female" plugs that you can plug a usb drive/stick into.

If so, be very carefull not to pull hard on the cable!

Normally those internal USB ports are used to connect your internal card reader to.

But "male" usb connectors (male = same connector that is already on a usb stick) coming from the case, is weird.

I can guarantee you those connectors, (whether male or female), are not coming from, or going to, your videocard.

Do not plug them in unless you are 100% sure where they are going.

Open the side of the case to have a look. May be it's just an extra cable they included! ( a cable that does not connect to anything)

Or contact tech support.

I would be willing to uninstall then reinstall as, as you say, I only have two add-ons installed. Does uninstalling FSX totally clear the system? I'm worried that the windows uninstaller will leave files on system leading to duplicate files after installing it again. Obviously If I did uninstall I would search the web to find out how to do it properly.

After reading all this, (and having a better look at your specs :p), I suggest holding off on the reinstall little while. Learn about your computer. Sleep on it a few days at least.

Some people here will have suggestions for the videocard(s) too. So wait for some more responses.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before going too berserk over a possible Graphics Card problem, What does your Scenery Library look like. Is it possible that something may need to put up at the top where now it's sitting too low in the scenery order?

I'm really not sure. I haven't changed anything. Is there a way I can take a snapshot of it and show it to you. I know how to snapshot (V) in flight but not in windows.

One thing I've remembered which could be an issue. After I'd installed FSX I read that It was better to install it on It's own drive separate from windows 7. So stupidly I went to uninstall using windows. Pressed uninstall then pressed cancel (after 15 secs) after realising this was the wrong thing to do. Didn't think nothing of it as it said 'Uninstall unsuccessful'. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or could this have messed with the scenery files?

To take a picture of the Scenery Library you will have the Sim running and in Settings/Library. you can press the Print Screen then exit or minimize FSX and bring up Microsoft Paint-Press Ctrl+V then save it as a JPEG.

I have some ORBX freeware scenery and it is always top- for top priority.

FSX scenery library.JPG

To take a picture of the Scenery Library you will have the Sim running and in Settings/Library. you can press the Print Screen then exit or minimize FSX and bring up Microsoft Paint-Press Ctrl+V then save it as a JPEG.

Ok Mr Zippy, I'll be able to this this but it will be within the next hour after I get the little one off to sleep.

after instaaling fsx, you should run the sim once, and only after that install acelleration (if you have it). I hope you did that.

Seems ok to me.

I don't know if they installed the most recent drivers, but I can't really advise. I only use one card myself. I wouldn't even know how to install drivers for two cards, sorry.

When I (one card) install the lates nvidia driver it replaces the old one fine. No need to remove that first.

No idea what those are for. Are they reallty USB plugs?? Normal "male" ones?

If they are "female connectors" I could imagine you have internal USB connectors inside that they connected so you can use them with a device outside the computer. If so they would be "female" plugs that you can plug a usb drive/stick into.

If so, be very carefull not to pull hard on the cable!

Normally those internal USB ports are used to connect your internal card reader to.

But "male" usb connectors (male = same connector that is already on a usb stick) coming from the case, is weird.

I can guarantee you those connectors, (whether male or female), are not coming from, or going to, your videocard.

Do not plug them in unless you are 100% sure where they are going.

Open the side of the case to have a look. May be it's just an extra cable they included! ( a cable that does not connect to anything)

Or contact tech support.

After reading all this, (and having a better look at your specs :p), I suggest holding off on the reinstall little while. Learn about your computer. Sleep on it a few days at least.

Some people here will have suggestions for the videocard(s) too. So wait for some more responses.

il88pp.

I don't have acceleration but did install SP1 and SP2, starting the sim in between each install but I did not take a flight, hence not checking all the scenery. Only the scenery at the departure airport which looked fine.

I've just spoke to the tech guys who eventually returned call. They have told me the 2 USB leads (which are male) are to power 2 USB slots on the front of the case. Apparantly certain motherboards (in this case the Asus Z97) need power for the front USB slots. I have plenty on the back and also have a USB hub so I don't need to plug these in.

The tech guys are sending me an email with a benchmark graphics link they want me to run to test the cards. They aren't very experienced with FSX so they obviously couldn't comment on its specific graphics which is why they want me to run this link. I will get to do this in next hour. I am going to send the Jpeg to them which I original posted on this thread

I have some ORBX freeware scenery and it is always top- for top priority.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177074[/ATTACH]

Ok Ive took a screen shot of the top 14 scenery files. Traffic x is at top. I have installed Active Next on a different drive which doesn't seem to be listed.

Do you think these findings are normal?

If they are where do I go from here? Install GPU drivers again?

PAUL-PC-2015-mar-3-003.jpg

One thing I've remembered which could be an issue. After I'd installed FSX I read that It was better to install it on It's own drive separate from windows 7. So stupidly I went to uninstall using windows. Pressed uninstall then pressed cancel (after 15 secs) after realising this was the wrong thing to do. Didn't think nothing of it as it said 'Uninstall unsuccessful'. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or could this have messed with the scenery files?

And did you reinstall FSX after this? Even if it says "uninstall unsuccessful" a lot of files will be gone already after 15 seconds.

Your library looks normal so that should not be a worry. When you did your first screen shot, what area were you in. Have you tried different parts of the Globe? And to confirm, you did not do any flights after FSX install.

And did you reinstall FSX after this? Even if it says "uninstall unsuccessful" a lot of files will be gone already after 15 seconds.

No I didn't. Do you think this is the problem?

+1 this could be an issue! It may be time to try a Repair, but uninstall the SPs first.

No I didn't. Do you think this is the problem?

Botched uninstall? Yes, I do. You are lucky (and I'm surprised) it is still working. You will need to clean out FSX completely (try uninstalling it again, and let it finish), then start from scratch. Before you uninstall FSX, remove any FSX-related addons you have added (no pun intended).

Your library looks normal so that should not be a worry. When you did your first screen shot, what area were you in. Have you tried different parts of the Globe? And to confirm, you did not do any flights after FSX install.

I wan in the North east of England at Durham-tees airport (EGNV). When Ive tried to start at Heathrow (EGLL) which is 300 miles south of EGNV its the same fault but in a different area.

I did not take a flight so I cant be sure if scenery was there or not. I only checked Destination airport which looked great.

Did you read my comment about uninstalling for 15 seconds before cancelling uninstall? Could this be the problem?

Botched uninstall? Yes, I do. You are lucky (and I'm surprised) it is still working. You will need to clean out FSX completely (try uninstalling it again, and let it finish), then start from scratch. Before you uninstall FSX, remove any FSX-related addons you have added (no pun intended).

Ok this is what I'm thinking now. Could I have caused any lasting damage? Will it uninstall correctly and remove everything? I have a link on how to uninstall FSX posted earlier in thread. Obviously I'll uninstall Traffic x and Active sky nest first. Do I uninstall SP1 and 2 in same way?

Thanks. If this will work I'd rather do it. I will feel happy starting from scratch.

+1 this could be an issue! It may be time to try a Repair, but uninstall the SPs first.

So is a repair different to an uninstall then an install? Do you think this is an isuue.

I do trust your judgement as you have helped me a lot in the past

Archived