Can I remove the autothrottle in default CRJ-700?

Hello everyone.

My question is in the heading... I'm trying to remove the autothrottle in the default CRJ of FSX. Having it installed is highly unrealistic and takes away all of the charm of these RJs. I'm sure someone was able to do it with some trick in the panel.cfg or aircraft.cfg. I've tried searching every forum around without luck.

If possible can I also add a SPD hold for climb and descent, similar to RW functioning of these aircraft? It's a shame Microsoft in the day chose to do a kiddie version of the CRJ autopilot.

BTW I'm not afraid of some .xml editing if necessary, but have no experience of it.

Thanks for any help!!!

Justin

I would say highly doubtful. I'm assuming you don't want to just disable it from working, but to eliminate it physically from the panel. In the 2D cockpit you would have to eliminate the entire Autopilot and in the VC, you would not have the proper coding available to you.

It looks like even payware CRJ's have auto throttle.

[autopilot]

autopilot_available= 1

flight_director_available= 1

default_vertical_speed= 1800.0

autothrottle_available= 1 Change this to 0 will eliminate auto throttle

autothrottle_arming_required= 0

autothrottle_max_rpm = 90

autothrottle_takeoff_ga= 0

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

For what it's worth... You can resize any window and move it ... like this...

Chuck B

Napamule

FSX CRJ Throttle_panel.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

For what it's worth... You can resize any window and move it ... like this...

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi Chuck! Uh......what does resizing the engine throttle assy and moving it around have to do with eliminating autothrottle? Just curious about your answer.

Thanks for responding. I meant not to optically remove it from my panel, but to do away with the functioning of autothrottle.

From my information CRJ's autopilot does not control the throttles. If you'd select 'speed' in Napamule's picture below, it should climb holding the selected speed of the knob and give the best climb or descent velocity in response to the amount of throttle, which I control.

Bit clunky description but this is my make-do definition. It should be recognizable to those who have CRJ paywares. I'd be very happy if my default CRJ would 'somewhat' behave like a CRJ, then I wouldn't need payware...:o

There is a download in the File Library that might take care of the situation.

FSX - FSX Jetliners

FSX Bombardier CRJ-700 Gauge Fix

[ Download | View ]

Name: crj7gaufix.zip

Size: 2,244,275 Date: 08-13-2009 Downloads: 2,161

FSX Bombardier CRJ-700 Gauge Fix. Fixes several problems with the default FSX Bombardier CRJ700 gauges - includes Matt Smith's MFD fix (CRJ7MFDFIX.ZIP). This file fixes: "TAS" value on the MFD, tooltip for the "Bearing Pointer 2" button, ADF bearing indication on "Bearing Pointer 2", Mach number field on the MFD, moving map views, night lighting of the PFD, MFD, radio, and backup PFD. By Csaba Saghi.

Quote: '..climb or descent velocity in response to the amount of throttle, which I control.'. That 'velocity' is called 'vertical speed' (payware or not) and, of course, is not 'throttle' control. Throttle control sets your speed in kts.

You then want to cut the throttle and the ac is:

(1). supposed to descend at xxx speed (ie: speed hold in kts)? Or...

(2). supposed to descend at xxx speed (vertical speed in ft per minute)?

Something don't make sense here. And what about the pitch trim? Cheesh!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I'm not sure where I irritated you napamule. I did not expect an emotional semantic discussion.

The Aerosoft is very tempting if seeing the pictures and promises. I will certainly consider it after I read the first reviews. But I was hoping there was a little tweak possible to the simple default aircraft to have a lesser but reasonably realistic aircraft so I might save some money and have some sense of achievement as a newbie aircraft tweaker!

Allow me another try in describing what I want to achieve.

From the CRJ 700-900 manual at smartcockpit on automatic flight:

(5) Speed Mode (CLB, DES, IAS)

Speed mode generates commands to maintain the airspeed reference value.

When speed mode is selected, the IAS reference (primary flight display) is set to

the current airspeed.

(6) Vertical Speed Mode

Vertical speed mode generates commands to maintain the VS reference value.

When vertical speed mode is selected, the VS reference (primary flight display) is

set to the current vertical speed. Climb or descent rate is achieved by moving the rotary switch on the flight control panel

Number 6 is the obvious VS mode, allowing you to fix the vertical speed (or climb/descend velocity, climb rate). Number 5 is the thing I desire in the default CRJ. To fix speed using pitch commands instead of throttle commands.

I found this thread elsewhere: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/318228-ias-hold-by-pitch/. Another user wants to achieve a similar thing there. Right now I need to try to change the autopilot.xml. with some custom autopilot function I need to come up with...

justin,

You didn't irritate me anywhere. Was just trying to grasp your concept. I have that PDF and read it again just now. So essentially what you want is to be able disconnect the PITCH TRIM when you are in the 'various' AP modes (ie: Descent speed HOLD, Vertical speed HOLD, etc). Well that topic has been around forever it seems. Not specific to the CRJ-700, but still.

All I know is the AP will auto set pitch trim when I dial in a vertical (climb) rate (in fpm) when in Alt Hold mode, and the auto throttle (SPD) will control the airspeed (in knots).

I can use AP's (SPD) mode (will control throttle) without (ALT), but then it will be up to me to set the pitch trim (which is NEVER 'negative' whether climbing or decending). Yet some airplane models REQUIRE 'neg pitch trim' to fly level (my pet peeve) which is BOGUS. So you got your work cut out. Lots of luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: Oh, the FSX default CRJ-700 in one model that required (like in past tense-I fixed it) negative pitch trim to fly level. Just so you know before tweaking.

From the CRJ 700-900 manual at smartcockpit on automatic flight:

(5) Speed Mode (CLB, DES, IAS)

Speed mode generates commands to maintain the airspeed reference value.

When speed mode is selected, the IAS reference (primary flight display) is set to

the current airspeed.

(6) Vertical Speed Mode

Vertical speed mode generates commands to maintain the VS reference value.

When vertical speed mode is selected, the VS reference (primary flight display) is

set to the current vertical speed. Climb or descent rate is achieved by moving the rotary switch on the flight control panel

Number 6 is the obvious VS mode, allowing you to fix the vertical speed (or climb/descend velocity, climb rate). Number 5 is the thing I desire in the default CRJ. To fix speed using pitch commands instead of throttle commands.

I don't think there is a way to do either using the stock FSX AP.

I rarely ever fly that stock CRJ, but I did check it out to see what it does.

I was able to easily disable the autothrottle by editing the aircraft.cfg.

That seemed to work fine, and killed the autothrottle function.

But I can think of no way to make the autopilot set the reference speed using the current

IAS. And I know of no way to make the stock AP run in an "N1" or "LVL CNG" mode as in

the Boeing world.

If the AP is on, you can make the plane hold it's current pitch by hitting "ctrl-T", but that

will not effect the VS reference on the PFD. It's only controlled by the up/down VS dial on

the AP panel. Using "ctrl-T" will not reset that reference on the PFD. It stays at whatever

it's set at using the VS knob. If you use "ctrl-T" to hold pitch, it will ignore the reference.

So... you can kill the autothrottle, but I can't see a way to do #5.

That's why I finally broke down and bought a payware 737.. The default FSX 737 systems

are so unrealistic I couldn't hang with it any more. Ditto with most of the other FSX jets..

:(

Ok thanks guys, we are on the same track but which seems to have a dead end. The stock FSX autopilot does not provide speed hold indeed. I removed autothrottle, which is nice, but now my climbs and descents are entirely managed by VS mode if I use autopilot.

But I also found this thread for anyone interested: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/71627-a-better-autopilot-for-airliners/

It provides a custom written gauge by someone seemingly providing the autopilot function desired. The file is called rcbfl-10.zip and is available in the flightsim.com library. I have yet to implement it, but that will take some time and testing.

Cheers

Archived