how do I enable TrackIR in FSX?

james143611

Hello all,

I believe that TrackIR 4 PRO is compatible with FSX Gold Acceleration pack? I'm not sure how you enable it, as I've booted up the TrackIR v5.2.2 software, then started FSX, started a flight and the tracker does nothing in the 2D or 3D cockpits. So I looked on google, but couldn't find much help, i saw something about making sure a checkbox was checked, but the screen interface picture was completely different to the one I have (as mentioned, the 5.2.2 latest version). Another post said to put into youtube 'TrackIR for FSX'. But that just comes up with people showing it in action, not setting it up.

How does one get TrackIR 4 to work in FSX?

Any help appreciated!

James.

No it's not auto. If you do not have aTrackIr icon on your desktop, you will need to create one.

Start the program from that

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

That's what I have been doing, starting TrackIR then starting FSX, taking a cessna out to give it a test...nothing.

What I meant by automatic was should it just start working straight away? Only on the OMSI simulator, there is a button in the games option to turn on/off TrackIR in the sim, but I can't see one in the FSX menus, so I assume by running TrackIR software in the background it should be enabled straight away?

I'm not getting that at the moment, maybe I should try loading FSX then TrackIR

Since you Don't have a Track IR Icon on your screen , you may need to go into your PROGRAMS and look for Natural Point and LEFT click to place it on your Desk Top Screen.

Remember Natural Point , because it may not say Track IR....... in the Programs menu selection.

I've had TRACK IR now for 4 years with FSX Gold / Acceleration and NO Problems once you take the time to adjust it, calibrate it and it'll work just fine !!!

That's what I have been doing, starting TrackIR then starting FSX, taking a cessna out to give it a test...nothing.

What I meant by automatic was should it just start working straight away? Only on the OMSI simulator, there is a button in the games option to turn on/off TrackIR in the sim, but I can't see one in the FSX menus, so I assume by running TrackIR software in the background it should be enabled straight away?

I'm not getting that at the moment, maybe I should try loading FSX then TrackIR

Are the lights on? Should be two greens, do you even get reds? No lights means you haven't connected it properly.

Ok, since you still don't have it working, let's start at the beginning. I presume you do have the TrackIR software installed and the device (combo camera and infrared generator) plugged in to a USB port and have it placed in front of you, facing you, preferably on the monitor. I presume you also are wearing the reflective device, either on a hat or on a headset, depending on what mounting equipment you got with TrackIR.

Now, is there something in the background (behind you), such as a halogen or fluorescent light, or perhaps bright sunshine hitting something behind you (perhaps even a window behind you), that can generate infrared light? If so, that will interfere with the functioning of the device. You can start TrackIR now and look at the window it brings up on the screen. It's probably on the "Main" tab. Click on the "Profiles" tab. There should be a list of titles, but at the very bottom should be a "New" and an "Edit" button. Select one of the profiles (any flight sim will do for now), then click the "Edit" button.

From one to four small windows should have come up, one showing the default profile with enabled Axes checked, and one of the tracking mode buttons at the top checked, along with the True View checked. At lower right there'll be a list of Preview Windows you can check -- check all of them, if they're not already. That should give you three additional windows (if they weren't already there), one labeled Heads that actually shows two mannikin-like heads; one called Tracking that shows (for my hat device) three green spots on a black background; and one called Gauges" that shows a small window in the box for each axis. As you move your head around, you should see motion in all three boxes.

If you see the motion, and it roughly corresponds to your head movement, then you generally have TrackIR set up correctly. If you don't see the motion, check the hot keys tab to see which control you have set for the Pause function and for the Center function, F8 and F12, respectively, I believe, are the defaults. So since you didn't see movement, press the Pause control once, briefly, and see if movement is there. If not then more troubleshooting is in order before running FS.

If all that is OK, then exit TrackIR and run FSX and, once it is up and running double click TrackIR.exe (or a shortcut on the desktop that points to it). I note that others say they start TrackIR first, but that hasn't always worked right for me.

Once you've done all the above, you should be able to move your head around and see the view in the FSX screen change with head movement. Although I don't think it matters, be sure your FS isn't paused.

If you've done and double-checked ALL of the above, and still have no motion in the sim, make careful note of everything you've done, including what happens when you run TrackIR alone, and post your results. Perhaps there'll be something someone can spot to give you more help.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Larry you are a star! Turns out that I did indeed do it back to front, I.E, load FSX first THEN TrackIR. When I did that, TrackIR automatically minimized itself and I could move my head around. I knew there wasn't a problem with the hardware or software, as it works on other sims, just couldn't initially get it to register FSX, now I know why.

While I think about it following the above instructions, there was no 'edit' button, and the programs were in the titles tab rather than profiles, and no new windows open. Probably a difference in the software versions, though on my one there are 4 permanent windows showing head movement all the time, I assume they were the ones you were talking about?

It works, that's the main thing!! Thank you very much guys for your help, it really is appreciated :)!

Well I told you to that 4 post before Larry's but as long as you got it running. Also, it should not matter in the order you start it. Sometimes I am playing ARMA 3 and using my trackir and then go to fsx without ever stopping the trackir software.

Also, it should not matter in the order you start it.

In theory I'd agree with you, but personal experience says that, at least sometimes, the order does matter. I've run FS, then run TrackIR, then exited FS (leaving TrackIR running), then started FS again and that generally seems to work fine. It's that initial start that seems to want the sim to run first, at least on my system (and my previous one, also).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived