FSX or Steam?

fdnylt1

Hello friends,

I have just been reborn into simming after a five year hiatus. While bumbling along I installed FSX and a product called steam. Do I need both and if I do, where are the aircraft files located in Steam? I would like to install some old favorites to Steam, or can I just delete steam and run FSX?

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions!!

Rich.

Hello friends,

I have just been reborn into simming after a five year hiatus. While bumbling along I installed FSX and a product called steam. Do I need both and if I do, where are the aircraft files located in Steam? I would like to install some old favorites to Steam, or can I just delete steam and run FSX?

Rich.

I'm running both on the same drive. Steam definitely runs better than stock FSX Gold from what I have experienced. You need to reinstall any favorite FSX add-ons, etc, again under Steam--they don't share information, FSX and FSX-SE. Since I've installed the Steam Edition I rarely run the standard FSX. And yes, Steam FSX runs just fine offline.

APUtech

Hello,

Some little questions about this topic. More curiosity than interest because my FSX Is now optimized & stable after 4 years long of tweaking.;)

I 'm not a Steam user, so some questions may seem "funky"...

*What about the specific modules? FSUIPC, simconnect...can you install FSX in network on 2-3 PC? Server for FSX & clients run PlanG, Google map, Radar contact, Opus or Active Sky for example?

*Can you install the older Add-ons (not marked FSX.SE avalaible)?

*Can you tweak your FSX? Can you change your config files without crash?

Regards,

B.

Ciao Viva & Have Fun !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While bumbling along I installed FSX and a product called steam. Do I need both and if I do, where are the aircraft files located in Steam? I would like to install some old favorites to Steam, or can I just delete steam and run FSX?

OK, let's clear something up.

Did you install the Steam Edition of FSX or did you install FSX from discs?

If you installed the Steam Edition then you cannot delete the Steam application and expect to run the FSX Steam Edition.

If you installed FSX:SE and you have FSX discs, then you can uninstall Steam and FSX:SE, then install FSX from your discs.

If you have FSX:SE the folder structure is the same as the disc version, once you find the root FSX folder.

If you installed Steam to the default location, FSX will be in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Note that you can run both FSX disc and FSX:SE on your computer except that you would need to install the disc version first.

Some people are reporting improved performance with FSX:SE as compared to the disc version.

It has been verified that FSX:SE is less likely to OOM than the disc version.

There are a few addons that will not install to FSX:SE, you might want to check on your favorites first.

As stated, FSX:SE requires, for now, that you be online when running FSX:SE. This is supposed to change in the future.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

*What about the specific modules? FSUIPC, simconnect...can you install FSX in network on 2-3 PC? Server for FSX & clients run PlanG, Google map, Radar contact, Opus or Active Sky for example?

Pete is on top of updating FSUIPC for the Steam Edition and so far, so good.

I do not see any reason you cannot network as you do with the disc version.

FSX:SE has a new SimConnect version and comes with an installer for the legacy versions.

*Can you install the older Add-ons (not marked FSX.SE avalaible)?

On a case by case basis, I would say yes, mostly.

The biggest problem with addons and Steam is getting installers to find FSX.

Any cut and paste addons will work just fine.

*Can you tweak your FSX? Can you change your config files without crash?

Yes.

Some things have been taken care of for us.

FSX:SE comes with the Vista uiautomationcore.dll pre-installed.

There is no need to add the HighMemFix=1 to the FSX.cfg anymore.

...my FSX Is now optimized & stable after 4 years long of tweaking.;

Then it might be best to leave well enough, alone.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hello friends,

Rich.

So you bought fsx steam edition, but don't know what it is?

And you have it installed, but can't find the airplanes folder?

Strange!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In fdnylt1's defense, the FSX:SE directory is buried in the Steam folder.

To find the planes in FSX:SE, they are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes

Another way to get to folder, from within Steam, right click FSX:SE, properties, I don't remember which tab, but look for Browse Local Content and click it.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

I did it the easy way: I made a short-cut for the FSX folder inside Steam, and put it on my desk-top. I can pop FSX-SE open, put in airplanes, choppers, scenery, you name it. Very handy. I've had ne for FS9 ever since I started adding planes, scenery, whatever.

By the same token, I never use auto-installers. If I get one, I tell it to install to a temporary folder then move things over myself. I just don't trust them.

Just me being paranoid, I guess...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 months later...
you can't use fsx_sp1_ENU or fsx_sp2_ENU in SE. What I have experienced is my controller does not work as well in FSX SE as it does in FSX. Also addons from some sites are just for Acceleration and Acceleration can not be installed in FSX SE. These are things that are being discussed in steam forums.

FSX SE is a re-release of FSX Gold. It includes Aceleration and, therefore, you can't install (and don't need) the service packs.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Steam version, I can recommend it without hesitation, for the following reasons:

1. The licensing model allows you to install it everywhere, no worries about activation. I have it on my desktop, laptop, and work computer (just don't tell my employer).

2. It runs faster (not massively, but noticeably)

3. Bug fixes - DTG have made, and continue to provide updates and bug fixes, and I'm sure they will make sure it works with Windows 10 (I can say already that it does work on the Windows 10 beta I'm using)

4. Multiplayer - with a growing community on Steam.

You don't need to be online all the time to play it either (since latest update).

The only downside I can see is a shrinking one, and this is add-on compatibility - which I've not found a problem with anyway (with UTX, GEX, FTX, and PMDG 737 all fine for me).

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

For many users, the Steam Edition seems to offer some slight benefits. But, NOT for everyone. I installed FSX:SE and compared its performance on my low to mid-level system (Dell Precision M4400 laptop [intel Core2Duo @ 3GHz; 4GB RAM; nVidia FX770M]). Although the framerate was about 20% higher in Steam, the overall appearance was worse -- more blurries and slower texture loading. Also, although I was rather disgusted that the latest update from Steam forces you to start FSX on their Home Screen. It also caused Instant Scenery to stop working.

So, I have deleted the Steam Edition from my system, and have re-installed good ol' FSX Acceleration. And I'm a happy simulated pilot once again.

Just my two cents....

FSX Acceleration with FreeMeshX, SceneryTech, FTX Global Base + Vector, FTX AUS NZNI NZSI

Dell Precision M4400 laptop (Intel Core2Duo @ 3GHz; 4GB RAM; nVidia FX770M)

Saitek AV8R-01 joystick; 64-bit Win7 Ultimate; FSEconomy (as fun as it gets!)

Archived