What CPU?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for expert advice on choosing the best component combinations for a new customized PC.

I am currently using a moderate rig for FS9 - Dell Optiplex 780, x64; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.00GHz; Radeon HD 5450 GPU; 8GB RAM; Windows 7. and it all runs pretty well on 4 monitors using Maxivista to enable monitors 3 and 4.

However, I am in the process of building an enclosed cockpit (in the attic!) and will be moving to FSX and perhaps up to 6 to 8 monitors, using Matrox TripleHead and/or Maxivista - I haven't worked that out yet.

As we all know, FSX is very CPU demanding and my first critical decision is which processor to opt for.

Four of the choices offered on the customized units I have been considering are:

a> Intel Quad Core i7 4790 3.6GHz 8MB cache

b> Intel Quad Core i7 4790k 4GHz 8MB cache

c> Intel 6 cores i7 5820k Extreme 3.3GHz 15MB cache

d> Intel 6 cores i7 5930k Extreme 3.5GHz 15MB cache.

I'm not sure what the "Extreme" is about. I can't see it on intel spec sites. Maybe it's just a marketing thing.

Anyway, my question is : Is option (b) at 4GHz with 4 cores and 8MB cache better than © or (d) which both have less GHz, but 2 more cores and higher cache? High default clock speeds are apparently very important for FSX, as are higher processor caches, and 6 cores is recommended over 4, but only if comparing the same class of processor. So I'm not sure which way to go.

Expert advice would be very much appreciated.

Incidentally, I have lots more questions if anyone here has the time and generosity to help me.

Kind regards,

Philip

I am in the process of building an enclosed cockpit (in the attic!)

Kind regards,

Philip

First priority is to keep the hot attic space cool with all of that equipment running. Go for the I 4790K CPU. More cores ain't better.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

As He said, 4790K speed is of the essence. Should be able to get at least 4.6 gig out of it. 8gig ram, is enough, more if you do movie editing.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

i'm third on 4790k, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Still we are not there yet as far as the hardware goes, I will upgrade as soon as the new CPU/board series comes out.

Need power to "up" the sliders. Ofcourse by then (I hope) we will have a 64bit P3D. Time to move along.

And one more for the 4790k. I just bolted together a new box this week and it's running at 4.7Ghz on air with no problems. Keep in mind though that it's a crap-shoot when it comes to how a given chip will OC. Some do well and some do not so well. Honestly though, I see hardly any difference between the OC at 4.7 and the default turbo at 4.4. I'm going to remove the OC and just enjoy it.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

4790 is socket LGA1150 and uses DDR3 RAM. 5820/5930 are socket LGA2011-3 and uses DDR4 RAM. The motherboard has to have the right sockets for both CPU and RAM.

Since your current setup is running well, maybe it's worth the wait for Intel's next CPU architecture Skylake (due later this year) before upgrading.

...and perhaps up to 6 to 8 monitors...

Other than the obvious default speed advantage of the i7-4790K, one of the reasons to consider the i7-5930k Extreme is the PCIe lane count. With 40 PCIe lanes vs 16, the multiple Graphics Card capabilities are going to be much, much, better. The 5930K, and up, will allow 2x16 speed slots and 1 8x speed slot without sacrificing SATA/USB I/O.

With the new IMC(DDR4) the memory is also more capable of keeping things smooth.

A top line, overclockers, LGA2011-3 X99, motherboard will be almost mandatory.

With a really good cooling solution, 4.6-4.7GHz should be fairly comfortable...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Archived