worth getting PMDG 737 for practice before real 737 sim flight?

iainso

I've been practicing on the stock FSX 737, but wondering if it's worth paying the £40 for the PMDG 737, in order to get more out of my proper flight simulator session?

Also, is it possible to resell PMDG software, or are they once-only internet activated? I see a few used ones on ebay, but for FS2004.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

If you don't get PMDG's 737NGX before you do your simulation, I think you will be verry tempted to get it afterwards.

As for reselling it. ?... I don't think you would want too after you have seen what you have been missing.

Chris.

Yes, worth it. Official sources (boeing themselves I think!) say it is so accurate someone who can fly the pmdg could practically control a real boeing. But, it takes some time to learn all the new systems. The manual for the pmdg is several hundred pages long. It's not 'jump in and go'. Even just starting the engines is complicated. And before starting them you need to program the flight in the FMC.

I don't own a copy, but I think if realism is your thing you can't do without it.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let me take the other side of the coin. I've been lucky enough to spend a few hours in a level-D 737-700 simulator and, IMNSHO, the last thing you want to do is worry about fooling around with the systems. I don't know what it's costing you but I'd use the time wisely and fly the airplane. The instructor can bring it up take-off-ready on any runway you choose. You'll not get any more out of the PMDG than you will out of any other FSX 737. The real simulator is vastly different from anything you've experienced. You have to fly the airplane by feel and that's something that no amount of time with any model in FSX can duplicate. Anyone can push the buttons on the A/P but you need to use the simulator to really FLY the aircraft. Landing without the crash alarms going off is a great feeling.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I might have an isolated case but I am very sorry I wasted the money on it. I have not been able to load a saved flight, the plane comes back unresponsive and my controls do not work. Even the throttle leavers do not work with this plane. I have also found there support to be almost non existent.

Bruce

I5-2700 3.10GHz,Dual AMD Radeon 6850,6 gb Ram. Win 7 64, ASE,AH 3 X 32" monitors, 1 17 inch.

I might have an isolated case but I am very sorry I wasted the money on it. I have not been able to load a saved flight, the plane comes back unresponsive and my controls do not work. Even the throttle leavers do not work with this plane. I have also found there support to be almost non existent.

Bruce

You most certainly have an isolated case since it works for thousands of others. If you need support you must file a ticket with PMDG support. The forum is for unofficial chit-chat.

DJ

You most certainly have an isolated case since it works for thousands of others. If you need support you must file a ticket with PMDG support. The forum is for unofficial chit-chat.

DJ

I have a ticket open, they suggested reinstalling, when that failed I replied and it has been sitting for 3 days with no response.

Bruce.

I5-2700 3.10GHz,Dual AMD Radeon 6850,6 gb Ram. Win 7 64, ASE,AH 3 X 32" monitors, 1 17 inch.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I think I will get it, but as W2DR suggested, I'll focus on the flying rather than the systems when I'm in the simulator. I'll probably just ask to operate the yoke, rudder, throttle, flaps, trim, and spoilers, and leave the rest to the instructor - but having practised with PMDG beforehand, I should at least know what he is doing.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

:) got exactly the same for my birthday. Just reading the minimum and recommended requirements for PMDG 737, and my FSX system meets the minimum, but not the recommended which is 64-bit. I'm toying with the idea of installing FSX on my much more powerful work laptop, a lenovo W540 and getting PMDG for this - but I may want to move PMDG it to my new home PC when I upgrade it, hence the question about licensing. It says internet activation, but is that internet activation only once, on one PC?

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

You would have to double check with PMDG, but seems I remember them saying you

could have it installed on up to two puters. So you could have it on a desktop and laptop

both. But like I say, I would verify that with them if that is critical. Changing computers,

etc is no problem. It can be reactivated as many times as you need. I think it comes with

three?? reactivation's, and then if you need more, you can send them an email at support,

and they will reset the activations. So it can be reinstalled as many times as you need

forever as you can have them reset it every time you run out of activations.

Archived