FSX Planes in P3D ver 2.3

RodTod

Well, as I posted earlier, I am getting fed up with FSX and its bugs. Now it wont even start or install! Even when it did, it was always one problem or another. I dont know why I didnt think of this earlier, I have Prepar 3d 1.4 and am now downloading 2.3. What does it take to move FSX planes from the Pilot Shop here to Prepar? I alerady have Orbx, Rex and they are compatible. I have several A2A planes for FSX. Is there a migration tool?

Thanks,

Rod

Many of the new payware planes I bought from the FS Pilot Shop have P3D installers, along with the normal FSX installer.

Or simply copy each file to it's respective folder in P3D, and see if the plane works.

If it does, great. If not, then simply delete the files (be sure to make copies first!) -that plane's developer hasn't coded it to run into P3D -yet.

It's all trial end error. If you can do it WITHOUT using the migration tool, all the better.

The migration tool will not "magically" make a FSX plane work in P3D. If an FSX plane is meant to work in P3D and FSX both, it will run and appear fine, regardless of any migration tool.

You'll be pleasantly surprised in how many default and various freeware/payware planes will go into and run fine in p3d...a big reason I never bought into the migration tool. Don't need it imo.

I have P3D V2.3, and will not update to 5, being I like the way it runs now.

I'm afraid my pc won't keep up with the new version.

Sometimes updates don't work out imo. Someday I'll have to do it, but just not now.

Good luck with your planes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, as I posted earlier, I am getting fed up with FSX and its bugs. Now it wont even start or install! Even when it did, it was always one problem or another. I dont know why I didnt think of this earlier, I have Prepar 3d 1.4 and am now downloading 2.3. What does it take to move FSX planes from the Pilot Shop here to Prepar? I alerady have Orbx, Rex and they are compatible. I have several A2A planes for FSX. Is there a migration tool?

Thanks,

Rod

A2A require separate licenses, so no, they won't port. Others might, or might not. It's your sausage. As is the choice to use any tool that might, or might not, bugger your system.

But why and HOW are you downloading P3Dv2.3? Current version - and the only supported version - is 2.5. That is the only official downloadable version and from the only official source.

Perhaps you could explain that anomaly?

Go with 2.5. As Mallcott said - it is the only supported version. Each new version improves performance, etc. So, if you are starting fresh - start with 2.5 or you are wasting your time.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

As is the choice to use any tool that might, or might not, bugger your system.

No truer words of wisdom have been written ;) , and exactly why I move planes over manually.

As much as I have heard the praises of how great this migration tool works, I have also read some negative feedback also.

But, like the aforementioned v 2.5 upgrade, I suppose the day will come that I will probably have to go and get that tool eventually.

But why and HOW are you downloading P3Dv2.3? Current version - and the only supported version - is 2.5. That is the only official downloadable version and from the only official source.

The OP might have done something similar that I have done: install P3D once you upgrade the graphics card to one that would handle DX11, but still bought P3D nonetheless it and left it sit idle until said gpu upgrade was completed.

My 2.3 download sat idle for two months before I finally did the upgrade, and installed P3D.

Two month's time is an eternity to L-M. In 5 month's time, P3D is now up to 2.5. -talk about an infant on growth hormones...lol ...and it's am awesome thing imo...:cool:

To L-M's credit, as so is two month's time, five month's time is also an eternity in their world, because they are constantly on the move and working to better P3D. A nice positive change of pace in the flight sim world if I do say so myself...

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

Go with 2.5. As Mallcott said - it is the only supported version. Each new version improves performance, etc. So, if you are starting fresh - start with 2.5 or you are wasting your time.

I totally agree, but I'm also a realist. My graphics card can certainly handle any upgrade, but my motherboard can't.

You guys on this site have taught me an important lesson: quit watching the fps'...and for now my P3D runs smooth...

Even with that said, more and more I can see that my pc overall needs an upgrade, so I make do with what I got.

So I would hate to do a complete reinstall after deleting 2.3 (which is what you have to do to go to 2.5, right?), only to then find out that 2.5 would run terrible on my current pc.

Then what? You can't go back to 2.3, right? At least, not officially...

Besides, I have so many planes and addon scenery installed on my 2.3, I'm not sure if some or most of it is supported by 2.5, nor will those addons be if I make the move from 2.3 to 2.5.

As it sits now, some addons -by some of the dev's own admission- aren't supported in 2.5 yet. So I'll wait until I have to make the move.

I know it's an inevitable move nonetheless. I'm just holding out as long as I can.

2.4 and now, more importantly, 2.5 introduce performance modifications, VAS reductions, new features and of course, retain currency with current versions that make it a no brainer to upgrade - and a no-hoper if you retain 2.3 and expect support.

This is how P3D works and you won't do anything other than drown if you don't swim with the tide. I certainly won't throw any lifebelts to someone who is two versions behind.

Devs need to learn to grow with the project or take up gardening. Most seem to relish the opportunity. Those that don't? Well there's always good old dinosaur FSX, dead for fifty million years and still don't know it.

A2A require separate licenses, so no, they won't port. Others might, or might not. It's your sausage. As is the choice to use any tool that might, or might not, bugger your system.

Perhaps you could explain that anomaly?

Typo....meant 2.5

Typo....meant 2.5

Final comment - if your FSX is banjaxed as a result of changes you've made to your OS, software settings or hardware then you won't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

If it is as a result of throwing loads of crap at FSX, then learn the lesson and do not do likewise with 2.5. Check, double-check, then check again and if in doubt, come here and ask. BEFORE, not after.

It can be really difficult to realize that P3D runs perfectly fine without any of the old FSX tweaks. More people get into hot water because they install P3D and start adding their favorite FSX tweaks immediately. Accept the default P3D settings and see how it runs. Adjust your settings slowly. There are only one or two tweaks at most that might be needed depending on your system. TBM (TextureBandwidthMultiplier) and FFTF(FiberFrameTimeFraction). Other than that, you really control P3D wit your settings.

Enjoy!

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

This is how P3D works and you won't do anything other than drown if you don't swim with the tide. I certainly won't throw any lifebelts to someone who is two versions behind.

Lifebelts? You did mean lifejackets, right? Or lifelines? Guess I'm behind on my terminology also...

2.4 and now, more importantly, 2.5 introduce performance modifications, VAS reductions, new features and of course, retain currency with current versions that make it a no brainer to upgrade - and a no-hoper if you retain 2.3 and expect support.

I really didn't try or expect to get any support from anyone for my v2.3, even when 2.3 was in vogue.

Reading L-M's forum was a joke imo, as far as trying to get answers. I still see their forum the same way, and barely if at all go there now.

I've learned more from reading other flight sim sites -like the P3D forum thread here.

So with that said, I stuck with what I had with 2.3, upon the theory that if it wasn't broken, why fix it?

But today I threw caution to the wind, and downloaded v2.5.

I think that if my current rig can handle DX11 and v2.3 decently enough, then running 2.5 shouldn't be that far of a reach.

One thing that I will do differently is not install so much of the add-on scenery (high quality scenery like Aerosoft, DD, FlyTampa) that I had in 2.3. That scenery definitely slowed it down. The scenery did render nicely, but it also most definitely slowed P3D down, especially using high quality aircraft. It was not a trade off I liked.

Now adding the various missing default FSX and add-on p2p planes? I will do that for sure. Adding those in created not so much as even a whimper performance-wise in 2.3 -even with using high vc quality planes such as my Carenados, or my Aerosoft Airbuses and military planes- and having those in my sim is more important to me to have than the nice eye-catching scenery.

I had to do the move sooner or later, so why not now? Good move on my part or not, time will tell. There's only one way to find out.

Devs need to learn to grow with the project or take up gardening. Most seem to relish the opportunity. Those that don't? Well there's always good old dinosaur FSX, dead for fifty million years and still don't know it.

True, for the most part, although one major player out there who really doesn't acknowledge P3D a lot is nVidia.

They seem more concerned with the pc stuff the teen gamers are playing...it really bums me out is when you see nVidia release a driver update (which is common), only to find out that it will mess up P3D if you install it (which is common also). You only need to go to other sites or the Facebook P3D fan pages to see that the new driver will mess up your P3D. So lately I don't even bother looking into the driver updates anymore.

There's nothing worse I hate than to roll back a driver that really didn't mess anything else up on my pc, except for P3D...so maybe there's more 'gardeners' out there than you realize...

Or maybe nVidia knows that we flight simmers are the dinosaurs, holding onto something that simply isn't, nor ever will generate nearly the gaming numbers that the tweener pc crowd goes to (and where they spend their cash), and why nVidia clamors to appease such a crowd and chooses to ignore L-M most of the time.

Lifebelts? You did mean lifejackets, right? Or lifelines? Guess I'm behind on my terminology also...

I really didn't try or expect to get any support from anyone for my v2.3, even when 2.3 was in vogue.

Reading L-M's forum was a joke imo, as far as trying to get answers. I still see their forum the same way, and barely if at all go there now.

I've learned more from reading other flight sim sites -like the P3D forum thread here.

So with that said, I stuck with what I had with 2.3, upon the theory that if it wasn't broken, why fix it?

But today I threw caution to the wind, and downloaded v2.5.

I think that if my current rig can handle DX11 and v2.3 decently enough, then running 2.5 shouldn't be that far of a reach.

One thing that I will do differently is not install so much of the add-on scenery (high quality scenery like Aerosoft, DD, FlyTampa) that I had in 2.3. That scenery definitely slowed it down. The scenery did render nicely, but it also most definitely slowed P3D down, especially using high quality aircraft. It was not a trade off I liked.

Now adding the various missing default FSX and add-on p2p planes? I will do that for sure. Adding those in created not so much as even a whimper performance-wise in 2.3 -even with using high vc quality planes such as my Carenados, or my Aerosoft Airbuses and military planes- and having those in my sim is more important to me to have than the nice eye-catching scenery.

I had to do the move sooner or later, so why not now? Good move on my part or not, time will tell. There's only one way to find out.

True, for the most part, although one major player out there who really doesn't acknowledge P3D a lot is nVidia.

They seem more concerned with the pc stuff the teen gamers are playing...it really bums me out is when you see nVidia release a driver update (which is common), only to find out that it will mess up P3D if you install it (which is common also). You only need to go to other sites or the Facebook P3D fan pages to see that the new driver will mess up your P3D. So lately I don't even bother looking into the driver updates anymore.

There's nothing worse I hate than to roll back a driver that really didn't mess anything else up on my pc, except for P3D...so maybe there's more 'gardeners' out there than you realize...

Or maybe nVidia knows that we flight simmers are the dinosaurs, holding onto something that simply isn't, nor ever will generate nearly the gaming numbers that the tweener pc crowd goes to (and where they spend their cash), and why nVidia clamors to appease such a crowd and chooses to ignore L-M most of the time.

Or you might realise that Nvidia knows that for all the crowing, an FS engine - ANY FS egine - is actually not that sophisticated and is really about pushing pixels and not much more. Shader, AA, AF and typical QA issues are really engine-driven, not driver.

When Nividia finally release a Profile, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Final comment - if your FSX is banjaxed as a result of changes you've made to your OS, software settings or hardware then you won't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

If it is as a result of throwing loads of crap at FSX, then learn the lesson and do not do likewise with 2.5. Check, double-check, then check again and if in doubt, come here and ask. BEFORE, not after.

Geeezzz.......Sorry I asked anything at all.

It can be really difficult to realize that P3D runs perfectly fine without any of the old FSX tweaks. More people get into hot water because they install P3D and start adding their favorite FSX tweaks immediately. Accept the default P3D settings and see how it runs. Adjust your settings slowly. There are only one or two tweaks at most that might be needed depending on your system. TBM (TextureBandwidthMultiplier) and FFTF(FiberFrameTimeFraction). Other than that, you really control P3D wit your settings.

Enjoy!

Vic

I got my computer back and am running P3D 2.5 Wow! There is a difference. Got to spend more time with it. But so far its a big improvement over FSX. And, you get quite a few payware planes with the program. I will add more planes that I like, but, other that the Orbx software I have I'm not sure if I need to add anything else. So far it looks great and seems to run very smoothly.

Sounds like you're on the right track Rod!

As an aside - IMHO it's best to take mallcott's posts with an open mind. His content is usually correct, perhaps his delivery needs a little work. Take the wheat, ignore the chaff, he's very knowledgeable.

Vic

P3D Rig

Sounds like you're on the right track Rod!

As an aside - IMHO it's best to take mallcott's posts with an open mind. His content is usually correct, perhaps his delivery needs a little work. Take the wheat, ignore the chaff, he's very knowledgeable.

Vic

So far so good. Bought the Migration Tool from the pilot shop and was able to load some that would not load otherwise! Still downloading my Orbx Scenery, they said they have it set up for 2.5, so we will see! The standard scenery is pretty good as it is. Gotta figure out where to place the sliders. Kinda like back in the beginning days of FSX.

So far so good. Bought the Migration Tool from the pilot shop and was able to load some that would not load otherwise! Still downloading my Orbx Scenery, they said they have it set up for 2.5, so we will see! The standard scenery is pretty good as it is. Gotta figure out where to place the sliders. Kinda like back in the beginning days of FSX.

So you went straight in against my advice and installed non-P3D product in P3D?

Good luck.

Yup...I did. And Wow! P3D 2.5 is great! All the planes are working well, the Sim is smooth. Frame rates are very good, the appearance is almost 3D. Couldn't be happier! This is where FSX needed to go. Too bad Microsoft was not able to take it there.

Glad you got it sorted. Sometimes unsupported planes will work, sometimes not. It's a trial and error process. However, there are some that are NOT licensed for use in P3D and might still work.

You will get no support from either the developer or any other forum for legal issues.

Vic

P3D Rig

Yea, its strange the license issue. I paid for them, gladly as I know what the developers have to do to create these planes. I am the only one using them. I am not using FSX, not even installed on my system! But I am not suppose to use what I bought in the program of my choice, as long as it works, unless I buy it again? Well, I paid for the computer, the P3D program, the plane. If what I bought works , why should I not use what I paid for? It all comes down to the same thing. Money. I want to keep mine, they want to take it.

I get the support issue, it was written for FSX. If I want to risk using it in P3D, that's on me. I cant expect them to write a module for a specific program, then demand help when I use it in another program. All that being said, I am glad I made the switch. I will see what works from my FSX collection and gladly pay for what doesnt.

My point was - it's up to YOU to decide whether you will or will not use a specifically unlicensed plane in P3D BUT if you do and you start telling other people in public forums how to do it - that crosses the line.

The whole license issue becomes sort of "Don't ask, don't tell".

We all know what is legal and what is not - we all have a choice to make from time to time.

Vic

P3D Rig

Vic, I do understand your point. And apologize if my remarks sounded terse. They were not meant to be directed toward you, but more toward the idea that I cannot , as some would say, try to tweak something I bought, to work differently. We all tweaked FSX. Loading an FSX plane into P3D is really sort of a tweak. Just like when we would take a plane developed for FS9 and move it to FSX. Again, my feelings on that issue is it is my risk to take, All that being said, and ( to use another cliche ) in regards to "Dont as, Dont Tell", what about the migration tool sold here in the pilot shop? If were all gonna stay quiet about moving planes from FSX to P3D , then why does the Pilot Shop sell a Migration Tool that takes a plane meant for FSX and "Migrate" it to P3D? Again, I mean no disrespect with my feelings on this issue or my rhetorical question regarding the migration tool. After all, that is all I am doing, using the Migration Tool I bought right here. Again though, I really do hope my remarks dont sound disrespectful. The problem with e-mail and forum posting is the inability to get the proper attitude expressed without vocal inflections. Going back to my original point.......I'm loving P3D v2.5 and the way most of my planes I invested in work! This is a very good step forward in flight simming.

Vic

Actually, I'm still using the antique v1.4! My laptop has only DX10 hardware, so I cannot use any newer versions. BUT, on my system (i5, W7 64bit, 4Gb RAM, V1.4 is better than FSX!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Rodney, I do so agree with you! I installed a lot of my FSX (freeware & payware) stuff over into my P3D. I actually have not seen anywhere, that I am not allowed to do that. Remember, we also moved a lot of our 'unlicensed' FS9 stuff over into FSX when we got it, to see if it worked, & there were no moans & license guilt trips thrown about then.

I'm not using the Migration tool, as I normally install into a temp directory & move the files across myself. As far as I'm concerned, we had to decide on what license we thought was the best for ourselves. That is in regard to the program itself & not what we throw at it!.

As far as support goes.. I'm happy with my old version. If I need help, I'll ask on the forums. In the old days, if I remember, we got no support from Microsoft directly!

Vic, I'm happy with what I've got, & certainly not wasting my time, as I have something newer & peforms better than a 9 year old program.

I really do not think that LM really worries who puts what into P3D. A knock on the front door by men in black? I do't think so!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Rodney, I do so agree with you! I installed a lot of my FSX (freeware & payware) stuff over into my P3D. I actually have not seen anywhere, that I am not allowed to do that. Remember, we also moved a lot of our 'unlicensed' FS9 stuff over into FSX when we got it, to see if it worked, & there were no moans & license guilt trips thrown about then.

I'm not using the Migration tool, as I normally install into a temp directory & move the files across myself. As far as I'm concerned, we had to decide on what license we thought was the best for ourselves. That is in regard to the program itself & not what we throw at it!.

As far as support goes.. I'm happy with my old version. If I need help, I'll ask on the forums. In the old days, if I remember, we got no support from Microsoft directly!

Vic, I'm happy with what I've got, & certainly not wasting my time, as I have something newer & peforms better than a 9 year old program.

I really do not think that LM really worries who puts what into P3D. A knock on the front door by men in black? I do't think so!

What you have bought, dear hart, is a license to use. not own. That license proscribes - via the EULA - the specific exemptions under which that item may be used.

It is not `unless excluded` it is always `only included`.

Until you understand that difference, and the likely fallout for support, legal niceties and so on, it is entirely likely that you might get a knock on the door from the men in black.And you have no place offering help, guidance or even opinion, in these forums. Because the use of these forums is under the exact-same proscriptions.

As for the implications for support: If only idiots do as you do, then only idiots can support your choices that have created the problems. Speaks volumes as to the likely value of that support.

I don't speak for Vic, but if you have failed in your duty of care, I reflect that in my level of concern for your predicament. There'a always some other genuine problem to resolve. I have now added RodTod to my list of members to ignore, so he gets no further support from me, because he didn't just disregard my advice, he dissed me doing it. I can now sit back knowing that a calamity exists in his near future, for which the support will be woeful, dismal, or even fangerous.

Archived