Leonardo Maddog MD-82 Any Good?

HillBillyJim

Hey:

Looking to buy a very complex airliner. Love QW, but its time to go a step more complex.

Of course theres PMDG, but thats very pricy and not in my budget range right now.

So, I found the Leonardo Maddog MD-82. Its only 32 bucks at simMarket, extremely complex, and looks just right for my style (dont have time for the long flights in the heavys).

Only thing I have questions about is its age. Its an older model, I think the model was first made in '06 and updated in '10. Latest SP update was 2013. Are the graphics dated? Is it really as complex as marketed? Also, is there a large FPS hit? I have a midline system.

Thanks for all your help guys.

http://vnorthwest.com/lib/signatures/NWA3004.png

Great VA! Join me at http://www.vnorthwest.com :)

One of my favorites.

It is a bit dated in terms of graphics, but not in terms of systems simulation (it has it all).

Speaking of graphics, the front panel in the VC looks beautiful and almost up to date (8.5 out of 10), the thing that bothered me was the overhead - the switches are not 3D, but I got used to it - I need MD-80 and no one is gonna make a new one only because the overhead panel is dated.

Functionality - no corners cut, it's a perfect supplement to PMDG-737 and Airbus-X.

The bottom line is you buy this because you want an MD-80 and not because it is cheap (it was $50 when I bought it).

Oh no, I was thinking of Coolsky.

Leonardo is yesterdays day I would not buy it. The systems may be ok (don't know to what extent) but the graphics are too old. This is yesterday's day, it served it purpose then.

Buy Wilco's EVO 737, it's cheap but ok (obviously below the standards of the splendid trio -> PMDG-NGX, Airbus-X and Coolsky-MD) but it's ok. It has systems, FMS, nice (more or less) modern graphics.

You might want to consider leveraging your knowledge of the 757 into the Level D 767-300 (I am assuming here that you are currently flying the QW 757-200). This, too, is an older product, but its modeling of systems and the FMC is spot on, and really hasn't ever been surpassed. The newer stuff has a bit better eye candy, particularly in the 3D panels, but the Level D works and flies very very much like a real 767. And I know whereof I speak! It will not impact your frame rates either.

As for long flights, the heavies have been used on short ones as well. I have flown 767-300's between JFK and BDA, which is only an hour and a half. And don't forget that JAL had flown 747's on shuttle flights of one hour's length (they used a special version of the regular length 747 that was designed for short flights and more frequent landings). We used the 707's on runs as short as JFK-ROC, JRK-SYR, JFK-YYZ and many others of that length, albeit at the end of the career of the 707 (the 707-300 series is considered a "heavy" jet by the FAA). We also used DC-10's for runs that short - quite often, in fact. Even the 777 has been used for MIA-DFW and ORD-DFW (for routing to the major maintenance base, but they made them regular passenger flights so they didn't have to deadhead the airplane).

DC-10's were often ferried between the three NY airports, including LGA.

So heavies can fly short routes - any routes you want; after all, you're the boss!

Tony Vallillo

You might want to consider leveraging your knowledge of the 757 into the Level D 767-300 (I am assuming here that you are currently flying the QW 757-200). This, too, is an older product, but its modeling of systems and the FMC is spot on, and really hasn't ever been surpassed. The newer stuff has a bit better eye candy, particularly in the 3D panels, but the Level D works and flies very very much like a real 767. And I know whereof I speak!

Tony Vallillo

I love it too, I dumped the Captainsim 767 in favour of LDS. There are updated VC textures that help the appearance. As for the new products, I'm sure there is more in there than just eye candy, PMDGs can do a lot of stuff.

As for Coolsky DC-9, it's a new product, it looks great and modern (like a 2014 product) and I have no doubt in it, I didn't buy it because I've settled down with EFIS airplanes. I bought few Captainsims but have no time for it. Plus I find it too hard to fly (easy to learn, but a workload to fly...)

As an owner of both the LSH and Coolsky bird, get the Coolsky. I myself uninstalled the LSH plane. Coolsky doesn't have as great of systems, but they are still very complex. Plus it looks a lot nicer and it has great FPS.

You may see that the switches are 2D, however, they are done good enough that they look 3D at first glance. For somebody's that's very chincy and picky about their payware, that plane is amazing. Plus if you don't like it you can return it to Flight1 no questions asked!

Correction regarding the Wilco 737, perhaps an older FeelThere 737 would make a better buy...

Anyone has it for FSX? I too consider it believing it is superior to Wilco. Doesn't have weather radar but it is more a simulation product than Wilco's. Would like to hear opinions.

The Leonardo maddog is one of the best fs aircraft ever. The deepness of the systems modelisation is impressive. Indeed it's old but the VC still looks good (search youtube). Coolsky dc9 is really deep also but the coolsky md80 is way lower on systems compared to leonardo. Lsh is one of the best sim ever at the level of the ngx.

• 11 months later...

I picked up the Leonardo maddog when I got assigned to fly the MD80 for a large airline. I know the graphics are not the best, but they did an excellent job on the systems.

I use it whenever I have recurrent training in the future. It might be a moot point since my company says they will be gone in 2017.

Archived