Big Jet time

Captain Vodka

for the last year I've been mainly in single / twin prop aircraft. Carenados C208, beech king air and malibu etc.

and flipped around in the carenado phenom 100.

now i might want to step up the ladders to a bigger bird without all the programming of a FMC etc so some old school jets flying across countries and continents

currently looking at Mil Viz's 737 200c or the Captain Sim 737-200 version or even captain sims 727.

does anyone have both and suggest the preferences with pros and cons over each?

or even other alternatives. Ill be using it mainly within air hauler

for the last year i've been mainly in single / twin prop aircraft. Carenados c208, beech king air and malibu etc.

And flipped around in the carenado phenom 100.

Now i might want to step up the ladders to a bigger bird without all the programming of a fmc etc so some old school jets flying across countries and continents

currently looking at mil viz's 737 200c or the captain sim 737-200 version or even captain sims 727.

Does anyone have both and suggest the preferences with pros and cons over each?

Or even other alternatives. Ill be using it mainly within air hauler

pmdg sounds like the best aircraft out there, from what ive read in many other forums.

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=13

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

think that's more FMC modelled than what i might like before i dip my toes in the water .but thanks for the suggestion

sorry, i thought you were looking for complexe aircraft.

but why not jump in the deep water ? ;)

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I suggest you take your time, use YouTube and also get some reading materials on the FMC as it is really fun in my opinion and not that difficult to learn if you take your time and do something with it each day...as for older aircraft ...the Capt Sim 727 was one of favorites but if you still have FS9 ..the Dreamfleet 727 is the best out there...al v

Looking at it first in terms of airplanes, you have many choices:

B-707; B-727; B737 (series 200 through 400); Boeing 747

(series 100 - 300); DC-8; DC-9 (and MD-80/90); DC-10, and a few classics like the Convair 880 and 990 and the BAC-111.

I have seen FS (mostly FS9 and in many cases FSX) versions of all of these either payware or freeware. I have played around with a number of them:

Captain Sim 707 - FS9 version, not bad at all in terms of flying qualities and overall realistic look, although some of the included versions are not exactly accurate either outside or the panel (not something you'd really notice though unless you flew them, as I did).

Dream Fleet 727 - FS9 (not yet available for FSX, and by now looking like it may never be!). Best 727 sim I have seen - extremely accurate flight qualities and excellent 2D panel, with a good 3D panel to boot. Outside visuals very good. Most systems modeled including FE panel, but it starts up ready for takeoff and you don't need to mess with the FE panel if you don't want to. Of course we all started off as flight engineers back in the day, so you may want to sample that life!!

DC-10 by Flightsoft (included in most of their scenery and adventure packages) - FS9 and available in versions for FSX. Overall a fairly good simulation, with good flying characteristics and a decent 2D panel. Somewhat dated these days, but I have not noticed too many other DC-10 products out there.

Freeware BAC-111 (fs9) - Don't recall exactly who did this one, but it was very nice indeed in terms of the appearance, and the included panel was a decent one as well (2D, I don't recall if it had 3D or not). I never flew the 111, so I can only comment in general terms about its flying characteristics, but it did indeed handle like similar jets I have flown, such as the 727, so overall I would give it a thumbs up.

Just search in the file library for the freeware airplanes of your choice, and see what you think of them.

Based upon my experience with another MilViz product, I would expect that 737-200 to be excellent.

I think your intent to sample the world of non-automated jet flight is a great ambition, and best of luck as you sample the flight levels in a machine that you fly rather than one that flies you!!

Tony Vallillo

thanks guys for all your feed back, very much appreciated.

I think your intent to sample the world of non-automated jet flight is a great ambition, and best of luck as you sample the flight levels in a machine that you fly rather than one that flies you!!

Tony Vallillo

thank you Tony.. .I have the phenom100 for my 'start it up , programme it and off it goes' in that respect. So yes your absolutely right, its the ambition to hark back to the golden years of passenger flight of actual flying. I have a couple of other milviz aircraft though and was very impressed with those. Think you may of swayed me to their selection

again many thanks

happy skies :)

Archived