Where is the Modules folder in FSX???

DaveYo

Hi, just a question. Where is the modules folder in FSX? Like in FS9 you can find the modules folder and put all your dll's and the fsuipc. But I come upon FSX, duh no modules folder.

Can you guys point me in the right direction here. I use Xp and not interested in the other windows garbage for my gaming.

Hey Mr. Zippy, Guess what. I checked on mine and there is no Modules folder next to missions.

By the way is that module folder you have by FSUIPC??? To my understanding Pete's 4.x FSUIPC creates one in FSX.

I suspect all the FSX .dll's go to the system 32 folder because that is where all the .dll's run. Stupid Microsoft created a hassle without a Tutorial to explain where this went, what was eliminated etc and so forth, and the explanation of their new coding system, since they were on the way out the door to be shut down permanently.

FSX Steam now is charging almost 500 bucks for the same kind of game FSX as they are in the process of remodeling it so to speak. Sheeeeeeesh.

All they had to do was make better scenery and put in the commercial planes and private planes and get rid of the other garbage which they put in the game and go via the FS9 route for everything else.

In other words what was not broken and worked well, now got broken. It makes no sense.

Hi Zippy

Just did a check on a few things and you will not believe what I just found. I did a comparison of FS9 Modules folder and looked inside it and then opened up another window to see the FSX itself. What a stunner indeed. All the modules is right below the folders in FSX!!!!! whereas on FS9 its in modules folder. Microsoft changed the programing to look at the main game itself for the dll's and not for a folder like it does on FS9. Microsoft buried all this information in the win zip cab files (ooodles of them only gong by numbers) and its all in computer language. Basically java and unix so to speak.

Then I checked what controls that game. Well, the FSX xml.dll is the main pup, and its designed for others to add other dll's and it has to point to it in the FSX game. I believe what you do is stick your dll from some addon features your installing right into that first page where the rest of the dlls are located under all those folders. Then you have to manually insert that information to the FSX dll.xml so it knows where its located. Without knowing where that new dll is located its braindead. Now my installations did it automatically. Seems others have to do it manually.

if you copied that FSX dll.xml to another partition, and then remove that FSX dll.xml, the game will not start. I did some addons and viola I see it in that dll.xml

Every once in a while an add on will corrupt this file dll.xml. So I hope you can advise all members to first make a copy of it and put it to a different partition OK.. Then put in that add on. If the game crashes etc. bingo. You then have to look in that dll.xml itself and edict it making a comparison from the good one to the bad one and fix it. You need to have notepad ++ to do it correctly.

I found this link and its really good on it explaining what it does and why the game crashes. Here it is > http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a92/dll_xml-information-and-troubleshooting.aspx

Also many simmers do not realize if they do not activate their FSX game it crashes in 30 minutes and so designed by Microsoft to prevent piracy of the game. Actually FSX looks at three places. The folder where the game is at where the licenses are installed there, then the users side of FSX and then the Registry. If all 3 match you are set to go and can play for hours.

So if your going to put in the add on, do read that readme text first and see if it will install automatically. If not don't bother with it because then you have to go to that dll.xml. One mistake and the game will not start. Damn Microsoft did not make it better, they made it harder and 20 times more complicated than the FS9.

With the updated system I have using that q9550 cpu, high end graphics card, that FSX game is a resource robber, and takes a lot of page files too. On FS9 with settings to the max, its smooth as butter and the resources go down a bit, but holds steady and page file stays around 1800 which is OK out of 2045. I wish I could remember because a geek gave the answer on how to spread out FSX resource robbing using the 4 thread from that cpu.

So basically its up to each simmer since different folks have different strokes. I have heard that FSX runs 20 times better on I-7 cpu, and windows 10 operating system. This is what others are reporting.

So it looks like the folder modules is dead in FSX, unless Pete Dawson can tell us on how he bypassed it and made it to work in FSX. There are many secrets here, and some developers are not revealing it, thus leaving us in the dark tombs.

We need a tips and tricks tutorial on how to tweak the game better so us simmers can do it and eliminate a plethoria of problems. This should be the main bible so to speak.

regards

There is no modules folder in FSX by default. If you run the FSUIPC installer, it will create one and install itself in it.

Sage advice. And correct. If you don't install to a personally-created Modules folder, then of course the installer is likely to dump the files in the main folder. That is a very, very bad idea.

Or, *gasp*, make your own Modules folder. It's tough, I know. You have to rclick someplace empty in the FSX folder, select NEW from the dropdown menu, then FOLDER from that menu. Name it Modules. All done.

I am being facetious. I mean no offense to any one, it's just the way I joke around doesn't come out well sometimes. The instructions are correct, the rest is supposed to be a joke. The whole "It's tough" part. Anyway, that's what I did, as I hate self-installers, so I could put FSUIPC in the right place.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I have a similar problem with FSX-SE. Installed the SE compatible FSUIPC, Modules folder created, FSUIPC files correct, but when I run FSX-SE, the Addons menu button does not exist and I can't access FSUIPC to program it.

To further confuse me, the FSUIPC Install text file references an old FSX registry path entry that does not exist. I manually removed all FSX registry entries and triple checked it no longer exists.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

I did also say that Pete Dawson did something to get the FSX to recognize it in the Modules folder. That code or method is what none of us know because its his secret as it being a payware.

Here is my bet to all of you, and I am curious as a bat too. I am betting that if you look at the dll.xml itself which is located inside that applications data folder under Microsoft-FSX, I bet that the FSUIPC is written in it and the path of its location. I have not bought the FSUIPC 4x version yet, but have indeed noticed on some of my other addons which is three of them are all written in that dll.xml and shows the path, hence it working.

That dll.xml is the FSX bible for the game to work> concerning any addons (aircraft) and scenery and maybe textures

So I highly recomment to every sim user before you install any addons to the FSX game, MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THAT DLL.XML and put it like on your desktop. Then install the addon. If for some reason things go hairy, you got two choices. Either you fix up that xml correctly because it got corrupted, (follow the link I gave above) or remove that offending addon, and delete the bad xml and copy back the good xml that you had on prior to making the copy, from your desktop and all will be fine.

I have noticed one trend from all simmers of their complaints of the CTD (crash to desktop) It involves mostly from the addons they put in. If you put one addon in, then run the game. Do not and I repeat do not do two or three or four addons all at once, because when that happens you do not know which one was the offending addon causing a plethoria of problems to the game.

ALWAYS READ THE >>>>Readme text. and look at the zip file before putting that addon into FSX. If you see dll's in that zip and no instructions from the readme, having no automatic install, do not attempt to install it. Contact the maker of that addon first.

You must first make a copy of that dll.xml, then do one addon at a time, run the game to see if it works and do a flight route to see if all works correctly. If it does then close out the game make another copy of that dll.xml, and then go to your next addon and install it etc and repeat the process. This way if there is an offending addon, you can catch it. I know many of you hate this slow process but its the way Microsoft forced it upon us to do.

Anyway folks, do chime in here and talk about this because we need to band together to solve many problems affecting the original FSX game. Be so advised the Steam Edition is rewriting the codes, to the game etc. and now want almost 500 bucks for the same FSX game since they now own the license rights to it. Sigh. So that itself puts up a barrier as we now have to choose either steam or the original Microsft FSX. This is sad you know. I am not about to plunk down 500 dollars for such (same) game as the price is way ridiculous. Sorry but this is my opinion.

For Flightsim, and maybe Avsim, you might have to split the FSX itself. One for the original Microsoft Game and the other for the Steam edition as both are now drifting apart and it will soon be a wide divide. Everybody is looking to make money off of this game, and the freeware is slowly dwindling month by month.

regards

I have checked the DLL.XML file in FSX-SE, and compared it to the DLL.XML file in my P3Dv2.4 and they are identical. FSUIPC4 works correctly in P3D but not in FSX-SE. The Modules folders are also identical, however, as I stated in my last post, the Addon Menu dropdown is not being created in the FSX-SE menu bar visible in windowed mode. Got me totally flumoxed.

Bob

If I recall, this discussion came up 8 years ago when FSX was released.

No Modules folder!!

So, to simplify things, after an install of FSX or FSX:SE, just create a Modules folder. Initially it will be empty, but it's there if any add-ons need it!

Also, those with dual installs, just copy your modules over from the 1 sim to the other!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi DaveYo, Lots of interesting info there - thanks! BTW, I've got FSX and FSX-SE on the same PC and couldn't get FSUIPC4 working on the FSX-SE version - no addons shown in FSX-SE; I copied the modules folder over from FSX to FSX-SE (which included the earlier FSUIPC4.936), and updated to FSUIPC4.939, the latest. I also noticed that my FSX DLL.XML had a reference to FSUIPC4.dll, whereas the FSX-SE installation didn't. After backing up the DLL.XML (do this!) I simply copied the additional lines:-

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

into the FSX-SE DLL.XML file (above the last line, i.e. ), and Bingo! the Addons tab appeared in FSX-SE with FSUIPC4 installed. It all seems to work too.

Might be of interest to somebody out there.

Regards

With reference to the last 2 posts, I have already implemented those "fixes", however they did not "fix" my problem. I have the Modules folder, I have the correct entries in the dll.xml file, but FSX-SE refuses to show the Addon menu tab.

Its a new day here so I will continue my diagnostics. If that does not bring any joy, I will repair by replacement, i.e. Full uninstall - reinstall.

Bob

I have the correct entries in the dll.xml file, but FSX-SE refuses to show the Addon menu tab.

Post your dll.xml file here so we can see it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I just tried replacing the FSX-SE dll.xml file with the one from P3D (with appropriate path editing), but it would not work either. Restored the original, then installed FSTramp onto the PC to see if that would create the Addon menu item.

It didn't.

Bob getting angrier.......

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

FSUIPC 4

False

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

ObjectFlow.dll

False

False

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow.dll

FSTramp

False

False

D:\Program Files (x86)\FSTramp\FSTramp.dll

Most of the dll.xml looks good.

One thing I noticed is that I have...

...at the top of the file.

I do not know if yours is missing or you just did not copy it. That line has to be there.

Also, I do not think it matters, my FSUIPC entry does not have the following line...

False

You might try removing that line from the FSUIPC entry only.

You could also look through the [Trusted] section of your FSX.cfg file and remove any entries for FSUIPC. There could be more than one.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks Bean, (I always read threads you post in). The header line is there, it just got lost in transfer from PC to iPad. The manual load line is not in my original, I just added it to see if it helped. It didn't.

Thanks for the tip on the Trusted section of the FSX.cfg. Hadn't thought of that one. More to follow, no doubt.

Bob (cporses)

Also, make sure you get FSUIPC 4.939c for FSX-SE. Previous FSUIPC versions only work for FSX, not for SE. Pete had to release the "c" version specially to make it work with SE at all.

I don't know if this will make any difference, I just noticed no one had mentioned the thing with the "c" version, and just wanted to be certain, is all.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Anyway folks, do chime in here and talk about this because we need to band together to solve many problems affecting the original FSX game. Be so advised the Steam Edition is rewriting the codes, to the game etc. and now want almost 500 bucks for the same FSX game since they now own the license rights to it. Sigh. So that itself puts up a barrier as we now have to choose either steam or the original Microsft FSX. This is sad you know. I am not about to plunk down 500 dollars for such (same) game as the price is way ridiculous. Sorry but this is my opinion.

For Flightsim, and maybe Avsim, you might have to split the FSX itself. One for the original Microsoft Game and the other for the Steam edition as both are now drifting apart and it will soon be a wide divide. Everybody is looking to make money off of this game, and the freeware is slowly dwindling month by month.

huh? $500 for the FSX Steam game???????

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Phantom, thanks for the heads up, but I have been using Pete's latest version of FSUIPC for SE.

The good news for me is that

I discovered the problem eventually. Following the tip from the Bean re the [Trusted] section of the fsx.cfg, I noticed no entry for FSUIPC even though it had reported as installed into FSX-SE correctly. There was no entry for FSTramp either. So, I went to users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and found two folders, one for FSX and one for FSX-SE.

The dll.xml file in FSX was as posted earlier.

The dll.xml file in FSX-SE had everything I had previously installed listed, including FSUIPC & FSTramp.

So, I renamed the file in the FSX folder to .orig and copied the dll.xml from the FSX-SE folder to the FSX folder.

Bingo! All fixed.

Not sure how all this occurred, but I then manually checked the Registry entries for both but did not find any conflict. Every reference points to the steamapps\common\fsx location.

Hopefully everything will be ok from this point.

Thanks to all who posted....

Bob (cporses)

Be so advised the Steam Edition is rewriting the codes, to the game etc. and now want almost 500 bucks for the same FSX game since they now own the license rights to it.

Who's asking "500 bucks" - it actually costs £19.99?

Well, there is the exchange rate. The British Pound is strong against the dollar, you know. :) :)

It's not so strong. £19.95 is about US$30 - where's the rest of the 500 bucks come from - some one's imagination?

Good question. Back in post #2, DaveYo said that Steam is charging 500 bucks (~£324 ). Maybe he is just prone to using hyperbole. Even assuming it is an exaggeration, Steam or Dovetail Games do not appear to be charging exorbitant prices for FSX. So it leads one wonder how DaveYo even came to his word choice.

It's not so strong. £19.95 is about US$30 - where's the rest of the 500 bucks come from - some one's imagination?

FSX Steam now is charging almost 500 bucks for the same kind of game FSX as they are in the process of remodeling it so to speak. Sheeeeeeesh.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Archived