P3D 64bit?

alexzar14

Hi guys, I am an FSX user and have absolutely no idea about the parallel world - the P3D (except very general otherwise not much).

We at FSX are struggling hard with the VAS issue when combining certain addons/conditions non of which may not be excluded from our hobby:

1. PMDG/iFly

2. ASN (these two already hate each other and don't make a team when it comes to VAS)

3. addon scenery, FSDT Aerosoft etc.

while on evergoing discussion it was mentioned the VAS will no longer be a problem when P3D does the 64bit version.

Seen several of these comments, what are they based on? An assumption? Otherwise are there indeed plans to do it 64bit? When can any details (if there are details) can be learned about?

64bit architecture allows for more VAS which would eliminate OOM's

LM has stated that a 64bit version is being looked at but there is NO timetable.

FWIW the current 2.5+hotfix version of P3D is much better with VAS than earlier versions.

I am able to take flights in the new version that would always OOM in the old.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

As ever, it depends on your computer, your settings, your addons. Noting changes from FSX in that regard, however the core engine is being developed to be more VAS-friendly and certainly that seems to be borne out in P3D 2.5.

However if you have a crap computer, a crap setup and a crapload of addons your VAS results and your simming experience will still reflect overall craptitude.

There is STILL no substitute for personal knowledge and responsibility.

Moving over to 2.5+fix which is an intermediate step... ai.

What conditions have been evaluated so far? Let's say a PMDG 777 on flight from KJFK or KIAH (FSDT) to EGLL or EHAM (Aerosoft) with ASN on. Would that be a success?

How could you call moving from the dead-old FSX to the newly updated P3D v2.5 an intermediate step ?!!

What a wonderfull example to test the VAS !

I've also been looking for such a Flight specially with EGLL (Aerosoft) as the Destination in order to see how the VAS would react !

Alfons

How could you call moving from the dead-old FSX to the newly updated P3D v2.5 an intermediate step ?!!

Correct, that's understood.

Problem is moving to P3D is like moving to a new house, and it is hard when you move from an equally huge house with tons of furniture, furniture and furniture (rather than moving from a small studio apartment). I have to do 20 truck trips to carry the stuff over. Then the confusion... I guess I have to remove all my FSX stuff first otherwise I'm going to get very confused.

If this was a 64bit version, this would warrant a 100% justification for a relocation to a new home.

What I do now is I'm moving my stuff from one house to another and then will have to move it to another house once more, when a 64bit version comes out.

By the way, can older Aerosoft sceneries released in 2007-2008 be used with P3D?

I like what I hear so far, just need a bit more data to take a decision.

ps

my PC is ok, just build it with top stuff there is. Only problem is VAS and that is a major problem, compromising the very concept of simming (PMDG+ASN need more horse power than available in FSX).

ps2

pardon for making it sound like I have a tasteless collection of crap in my sim, :-) it's actually very clean with popular stuff only: PMDG/iFly/Carenado/few others, Orbx and associated companion products, MyTraffic 2013, FSDT/Aerosoft/FlyTampa/FlightBeam/Taxi2Gate sceneries (popular developers), and REX textures. I have no other texture/utility/other addons. Pretty nice sim.

I guess I have to remove all my FSX stuff first otherwise I'm going to get very confused.

I'm not sure why. When I installed P3D, I just ignored the fact that I had FSX, and everything went fine. With ORBX (and a few other things) I needed the latest version (one that included P3D V2 installer), and with UTX I needed V2 for the P3D installer, but most (not quite all) other stuff I could either copy directly over or, in a few cases of scenery, just point the scenery library to the folder(s) under FSX. But much of the scenery I built myself, I had to get the updated ADE to redo parts of the scenery then compile it for P3D, largely due to older libraries that don't work in P3D (almost any lib with SS or EZ in the name, lenshangar, and more don't work in P3D).

In any case, the stuff I had to do for P3D was needed whether I retained FSX or not.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It was nine months before I decided to lose FSX and focus on P3D.

In that time I came to recognise that my load of addons which were so vital to my simming were in fact almost completely irrelevant.

And when that realisation properly dawned, P3D solely remained.

There is no rule that says you cant have both, but take it from me, sooner or later you will only be using one.

It was nine months before I decided to lose FSX and focus on P3D.

In that time I came to recognise that my load of addons which were so vital to my simming were in fact almost completely irrelevant.

And when that realisation properly dawned, P3D solely remained.

There is no rule that says you cant have both, but take it from me, sooner or later you will only be using one.

I am sure about it, sounds like truth.

Right now PMDG is not P3D compatible (except for 777 and that is P3Dv2.4), and I am not ready to part with MD-11 which I doubt will be released for P3D.

iFly 747 compatibility I don't know, another one I cannot part with is Coolsky EFIS MD-80. I could give up the old-guy LDS-767 but not just yet.

Let's see how this all goes. The progress is slow... I am new to FSX (started in November after a 6 years break), I am phased with a multitude of excellent products and thus I am very excited. Eventually the excitement will calm down. Already now I am being very tired with VAS/OOM, this is why I am curious to see what can be expected in the future as far as the FSX succession goes (it's an old women with a ton of make up and a bunch of plastic surgeries but... the woman is old).

In all probability P3D 64bit will not be compatible to any of the existing addons, and this time more is needed than just a different installer. DLLs and BGLs and gauges and effects and and and need to be recompiled, redesigned or rewritten. Hard to do if, for example the developer doesn't even exist anymore. All the thousands of freeware stuffs will be obsolete.

You could just as well switch to XPlane 64 right now and be better off from the start.

In all probability P3D 64bit will not be compatible to any of the existing addons..

Yeah, just like none of our 32bit programs work in 64bit OS..........oh, ....wait.....

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

You could just as well switch to XPlane 64 right now and be better off from the start.

If all you want is a 64bit sim, sure. But if you want the features of P3D not available elsewhere, you need to hang in there.

I find that every time I build a new system, I wind up throwing out many of my "must have" add ons during the process. Not because I don't want to reinstall but because I just don't use them enough.

Think of switching to 64bit as a great excuse to free u space on your HD and clean up your hangar.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

In all probability P3D 64bit will not be compatible to any of the existing addons, and this time more is needed than just a different installer. DLLs and BGLs and gauges and effects and and and need to be recompiled, redesigned or rewritten. Hard to do if, for example the developer doesn't even exist anymore. All the thousands of freeware stuffs will be obsolete.

now and be better off from the start.

A painful process we'll have to overcome. This was always the case with the new sim version although this time it will take longer for new addons to be developed. I assume in few years we'll have enough fun with current products and giving it up won't be as painful as it would have been now.

People want no VAS problems, not X-plane -)))

Speaking of X-plane, I see that x-plane aircraft addons are inferior in terms of systems and FMS. I'm not familiar with x-plane but is there anything analogical/equivalent to PMDG?

l

argely due to older libraries that don't work in P3D (almost any lib with SS or EZ in the name, lenshangar, and more don't work in P3D)

The Return to Misty Moorings now have all these scenery object libraries compatible with P3D.

http://return.mistymoorings.com/scenery/

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Speaking of X-plane, I see that x-plane aircraft addons are inferior in terms of systems and FMS. I'm not familiar with x-plane but is there anything analogical/equivalent to PMDG?

Yes, I recommend FlightFactor 757 for X-Plane

Yes, I recommend FlightFactor 757 for X-Plane

looks good, in the end however the platform means less, the addons you like dictate the platform necessary.

We at FSX are struggling hard with the VAS issue when combining certain addons/conditions non of which may not be excluded from our hobby:

WE at Fsx are not struggling with VAS, YOU are. Posting your system specs would enable others to help you with your issues.

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Yeah, just like none of our 32bit programs work in 64bit OS..........oh, ....wait.....

32 bit executable in 64 bit OS? Sure, why not. But those half dozen compatibility modes in Windows exist for a reason.

32 bit DLL loaded by a 64 bit executable? Not so easy, in more cases than not it simply can not work.

So it comes down to the usual, your addon might work (all simconnect based stuff), then again it might not (all DLL and gauge based stuff). The probability that addons work just out of the box seems very low to me, considering the hassle about FSX SE and P3D 2.5 the dev's are going through.

Best case we end up with just the next version, which, provided the dev's are willing to support the smaller user base in P3D, will after some months mostly work with what we know. Worst case, P3D64 is yet another 64 bit sim with no addons to speak of initially. And some devs might decide that there is not enough money to be made with the P3D user base, especially when those users want their updates for free. Don't really know about numbers, but I guess we're looking at maybe 50.000 P3D enthusiasts versus 10 million MS FS copies sold (and Steam still counting).

A painful process we'll have to overcome. This was always the case with the new sim version although this time it will take longer for new addons to be developed. I assume in few years we'll have enough fun with current products and giving it up won't be as painful as it would have been now.

May happen, then again, it might not. X-Plane has not been the major success either, some people say that is because of the lacking professional addon support. There is no guarantee that devs will jump that particular P3D64 wagon.

Yes, well. People want all kinds of things. It is your responsibility as the master of your sim installation, to only throw at it what it can handle. You can not expect every addon dev to test his creation with each and every other addon in existence (at the same time no less). This will also be the case with the 64 bit sim, you can bring each environment and every system to its knees with the right settings. This will remain true as long as users can set the core software parameters up just like they see fit. Lucky were devs who were doing console stuff, ah, those were the days.

How can you 'see' inferiority when you are not familiar with XP? Have a look at some of frooglesim's videos about XP, you might be surprised. PMDG will release their first XP project probably this year.

May happen, then again, it might not. X-Plane has not been the major success either, some people say that is because of the lacking professional addon support. There is no guarantee that devs will jump that particular P3D64 wagon.

I made my assumption based on fact that P3D-64bit will still be an "FSX" in its base, meaning most recent addons developed in the past 3-5 years will be upgraded to P3D-64bit compatibility. I'd like to hope so.

How can you 'see' inferiority when you are not familiar with XP? Have a look at some of frooglesim's videos about XP, you might be surprised. PMDG will release their first XP project probably this year.

Thanks, will watch.

PeYes, I recommend FlightFactor 757 for X-Plane

This sold me, I am buying X-plane. Ofcourse this isn't a driving reason but I'm glad there is such a thing there, in addition to the 777 just released.

But how many airliners/bizjets are there done in the same manner as this 757? (FMS, ND display with plan track and map, systems...)

Airbus (any), 737-300 or 700 (would love 300), Learjet (or other), and some regional turboprop with FMS would be enough for me for the start.

Archived