Simple Separate Panel?

LTCSZ

Hi: I am looking for a program (free or pay) that will allow me to place gauges on a separate monitor...In other words, choose maybe 6 flight instruments and drag them onto a smaller monitor, which would still allow me to use my main monitor for outside viewing...I do not need a complete "panel designer", just what I have described...Any info appreciated!

Steve

I have had this scenario working for years so can offer you my method. To do what you want is a task in several parts.

First, you need to build a mini panel. OR, (as a compromise between doing some work and getting exactly what you want and doing no work at all and getting "something roughtly similar") there are a number of existing mini panels you can use.

Secondly, you install that panel into your aircraft through the aircraft.cfg and/or panel.cfg files.

Next, whilst in FS, you select your panel using the 'W' key, then do an "Undock panel", which will put it into a separate window.

Finally, simplicity itself, you grab that panel window and move it to your second monitor.

You can do this with multiple panels, so you can have (for example) a main or mini panel, a throttle quadrant, a GPS, a fuel panel (if you have one), all on the secondary monitor as separate windows. YOU CAN TRY ALL THIS USING THE DEFAULT PANELS ON THE DEFAULT AIRCRAFT.

If you still have an untouched default Cessna or the default Baron in your hangar, you should be able to try all that, simply as a proof of concept, in about..... ooooh .... thirty seconds.

I have two mini-panels - one for jet fighters and the other for turbo-props - that I use on my carrier aircraft for precisely that purpose. All built from default gauges (except for the carrier-specific stuff, which you can simply remove). I can paste either or both of those into here for you to grab and use if you wish.

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Thinks for the detailed reply...I never thought of doing what you describe with the default panels...Duhh...I am off to give it a try...I would appreciate the mini-panels you mention to give me an idea of what can be done...Thanks again,

Steve in Kansas

• 6 months later...

Archived