Raising Seat Height in FSX

dialta

I've used FSX for many years, and love spending time flying. But I've missed out on some of the aircraft that I would like to fly because I can not see over the instrument panel. I've tried all of the posted commands for raising the seat height, eye level, etc., and none of them seem to work. Shift-Enter does nothing, as well as Shift-backspace. Am I missing something or is there some other command that will effectively raise the seat level so that I can see over it? I know how to move the entire panel down by dragging it down, but then of course you lose sight of some of the primary instruments. Thanks! Dick

Sounds like you need to check your Key Assignments and see just what SHFT+ENT and SHFT+BKSPC are assigned to.

As to changing the seat position permanently, for that particular aircraft, it depends on what you fly in, 2D or 3D cockpit. If the 2D cockpit, look in the panel.cfg file, I use Notepad, and, usually up at the top below the [window titles] section, there is a section lableled [Views]. It may look similar to this:

[views]

view_forward_diR= 9.650,0.0, 0.0

view_forward_zoOM=0.75

view_rear_left_EYE=0.0, -1.75, 0.0

view_rear_right_EYE=0.0, 1.75, 0.0

view_rear_eye=0.0, 0.0, 1.0

Notice the line in RED. The first number is the vertical position of the 2D eyepiont. Essentially, it's like raising or lowering the pilot's seat in relation to the panel. you will need to experiment with it to get it just right for you. Positive moves the eyepoint UP, iirc. Or the panel DOWN. Pick your poison. I usually change the number by Ones digit first to get close, then the first digit after the decimal point, then the next etc to fine tune it. Sometimes, if I have a HUD, I can use it to place the Horizon Lines in the HUD right on the horizon, once I get the HUD correctly placed in relation to the rest of the panel. They are not always perfect, IMO.

Remember that every change, you need to save the panel.cfg file, and reload the aircraft to see what effect your changes made.

AND: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make a backup of ANY file you intend to modify BEFORE you begin. I can not stress that enough.

For the 3d cockpit, you need to get into the aircraft.cfg file, and find the section similar to this:

[Views]

eyepoint=-1.0,0,3.65 //3.85

In this case, the vertical adjustment is the THIRD number after the "=" . Again, the number in RED in this example. Once again, positive is UP. make a Ones digit change, plus or minus, and check the effect. Then, when close, the tenths digit, etc etc until it's juuuust right for YOU. And again, after each change, save then reload.

A hint when adjusting either 2D or 3D: I have found that after a reload, you often need to put on the parking brake, increase the throttles slightly until the nose drops, then back to idle again. Some times the nose gear is a little sticky and doesn't put you at it's normal resting point when you first load in. Just give it a little bounce and it should zero out.

Of course, if it's just during certain phases of a flight, you can always just hit the W key and use the "minipanel" view to remove the panel, but keep some of the most critical flight instruments in view.

I hope all this helps just slightly. Maybe. Possibly :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I know how to move the entire panel down by dragging it down, but then of course you lose sight of some of the primary instruments.

This leads me to believe you are using the 2D panel.

If so, try Shift+Q and Ctrl+Shift+Q.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks Pat. I've printed your comments and I'll assign some of those codes to the different aircraft so that I can see over the instrument panel. Shift-Enter, and Shift-Backspace, commands listed for raising the eye level, never have worked for some reason. But, Ctrl-Q and Shift-Ctrl-Q will do the same thing. Your solution will permanently fix the problem so I won't have to manually change the eye level. Thanks again. Dick, SMSgt, Ret USAF with some 20K hours of flying.

Thank you for your service, Sir! I appreciate it greatly.

Just a side note, much as I hate to admit it, Mr. Zippy was right, and...ok, ok, I was mistaken...it's CTRL+Q and SHFT+CTRL+Q in FSX, SHFT+ENTER & SHFT+BKSPC in FS9. I apologize. The rest of what I posted applies equally to both however. The changes to the Panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg files. Both FS9 and FSX use the same files, essentially, and the same changes perform the same functions in both.

Sorry about the error on the key commands though. I only got FSX in January this year, back when Steam came out for $5.00 (yes, I'm cheap...errr FRUGAL. VERY frugal...), and I am far from as familiar with it as I am with FS9, which I got back in 2004, when it first came out.

Good luck, and I hope this all accomplishes what you want :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

For the record here are the default keys, they work fine for me-

VIRTUAL COCKPIT EYEPOINT MOVEMENT

(Hold keys down to slide your eyeballs)

SHIFT Enter= Up

SHIFT Backspace=Down

SHIFT CTRL Enter= RIGHT

SHIFT CTRL Backspace= LEFT

CTRL Backspace= Forward

CTRL Enter= Back

Hold CTRL and hit SPACE= Reset

(Tip- use the zoom keys too (-/=) to further fine-tune your onscreen view)

For example here are some shots of a Cessna from different eyepoint positions and zoom settings-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/cpitA.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/cpitB.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/cpitC.jpg~original

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the 2D cockpit SEAT RAISE/LOWER

CTRL Q= Up

CTRL SHIFT Q= Down

(Tip- use the zoom keys too (-/=) to further fine-tune your onscreen view)

...and to really fine tune it hold down the Shift key while zooming.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived