FSX and EVGA GTX 970 problems

jimmbooo

Every time I have tried to fly the PMDG 737 anywhere at some point I have gotten a grey screen from my 970. It is overclocked to 1498MHz and runs stable in every benchmark I have used like 3DMark, Furmark, Valley. I can't for the life of me figure out the problem with the card or the game. Everything seems to be stable and the card runs along happily at 60 degrees C. Anyone know of anything I am doing wrong? I am not upping the voltage or memory clock until the sim can handle the standard overclock.

I would believe that the problem lies in your overclocking the card.

Everything I have read says not to overclock a graphics card. Overclocking CPUs is OK, with due respect to the possible cooling issues.

But don't just take only my word for that, maybe some other of the honerable members will voice their opinions.

Jorgen

Yeah,videocards are pushed to the max in the factory. More and they break.

I tried overclocking one once. At first it looked good for a few minutes. Then, black spikes and tears in the image, graphics glitches. Then, black screens and reinstalling the driver every day. (only happened in fsx when the card heated up)

Then I started to notice a smell of leaking batteries. I took the card out to check for dust, and found brown goo had leaked from one of the capacitors on the card.

I vowed, never again!

It's not fsx which has to handle the card, it's the other way around. 60deg sounds low for oc. Are you sure? I would expect 90, something's wrong there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah,videocards are pushed to the max in the factory. More and they break...
Depends a lot on the mfg. Todays cards are not as robust in the OC dept as they once were.

Mine will take a 10% OC and never give me a problem.

Maxed I too passed Bench after Bench, but, FSX isn't a Benchmark app and all sorts of Graphic anomolies appeared. It has now been returned to the default clocks.

...It's not fsx which has to handle the card, it's the other way around. 60deg sounds low for oc. Are you sure? I would expect 90, something's wrong there.
My EVGA GTX-970 FTW when OC to the ragged edge of stability, Fan Profile set to Auto, never topped 64C.

With my rig running at 5.0GHz, almost maxed, I rarely see over 70% usage of the GPU.

I suggest you eliminate the OC and see if that is indeed the issue...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Apologies, I had no idea modern cards ran that much cooler.

Thank you for the info. Made me think about buying one! If only for the 'cooling' effect.;) (Still enjoying my GT430 very much. Still going strong, but it runs a little hot.)

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived