Suddenly, FSX stopped working.

Trancer365

Hi all.

First, please bear with me if this is too long but I'm trying to include all the details about my problem.

I'm new to the forum (never been here until a week or so ago). I've had fsx on my current PC for about 3 years and although I can't say fsx has always been smooth sailing I was somewhat satisfied since I'm not a hardcore simmer. My only problem -prior to this point- was the annoying "fatal error..." and fsx restarting after changing planes. This used to happen maybe 25-30% of the time until just over a week ago when things just went crazy with fsx all of a sudden. I'm going to list all the problems I had as points :

- Pressed "start" button on keyboard to access desktop and when I tried to resume fsx game froze and PC stopped responding. Only way out was ctrl+alt+delt. This has NEVER happened before.

- Tried starting fsx again but game would freeze within seconds or I'd get a black screen. Same thing kept happening every time I tried to start fsx.

- Decided to uninstall/reinstall fsx but for the first time ever on this PC the instl. process didn't want to go through and kept getting error codes like 1607,1603,1628, "data error, cyclic redundancy check"... I actually ended up installing a new DVD drive just in case but no success.

- After numerous attempts (more than 10) over a few days to reinstall, the process magically went all the way to finish and I was really excited only to find that it was all for nothing. Same thing- game either crashes on startup or freezes (sometimes with black screen) only after a couple of minutes or as soon as I change settings and only way to exit is ctrl+alt+dlt. Playing in window mode (alt+enter) didn't make a difference.

- Tried to do "repair" a few times but in vain. Also tried installing outside the Program file (x86) but in vain too. I always use Revo uninstaller and then use CCleaner to clean the registry.

Now, I don't know what else to do and I still don't understand what caused all this. I don't remember installing any new software or changing anything before all this started. I have fsx "Gold Edition" and I never changed anything in the CFG (I don't even know how to do that). I have some freeware planes (have had for a long time) and REX.

My PC specs : Intel Core i5 (2500k) 3.3 Ghz, with 8 gigs of memory, Nvidia GTX 550ti (driver updated). Running W7 (64 bit) SP 1.

Just learned how to check "even viewer" from forums and this is what I found :

Description:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcddbf3

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001500a

Faulting process id: 0xc1c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d03d3a8b13afe2

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll

Report Id: 58951780-a92e-11e4-ade9-f46d04508232

Or in other instances it was:

Faulting process id: 0xfac

Faulting application start time: 0x01d03d39acc1e0f8

Report Id: 91bcd7f4-a92d-11e4-ade9-f46d04508232

or,

Faulting process id: 0x6b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d03d37e7116346

Report Id: e68dfe78-a92c-11e4-ade9-f46d04508232

Currently, fsx in in Program file (x86) and I'm afraid if I uninstall it I won't be able to reinstall because of the mysterious problem I've having with installation. Don't know if I should do a reformat or a new W7 install or if that's going to help.

Sorry. I know this is long but trying not to leave anything out.

Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Most people's trouble start or get worse when they try to uninstall or re-install FSX, especially when they have add-ons.

Also, most people's problem which cause them to go through the install dance to fix it are the result of add-ons or bad/broken tweaks to the CFG file. 99.9% of the time, problems are easier to fix than the problems caused by uninstall, re-installs and repairs. This is because FSX was not designed for operating systems newer than Vista and not all repair/installation complexities are handled by the installation disk installer program, including the complexities of add-ons which FSX installers were never intended to handle anyway. Fixing FSX this way is not really as easy as clicking a button, unfortunately.

The Event Viewer should have been inspected BEFORE doing the uninstall/repair.

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll

THis is a result of your needing to install the latest C++ runtime for your operating system. You can get these right off the microsoft site and a search for C++ runtime download install will take you there almost instantly.

You now have multiple problems and they have to be solved one at a time, systematically.

You will have to search the inet and this site one at a time for each of the error codes you get and only apply the known solution, not someone's best guess.

If you do some searches on this site you will find dozes of not hundreds of other posts from people with problems identical to yours and it's very likely you'll get faster results from applying the same solutions these people used rather than waiting for the slow 50 question give and take over many days this kind of situation usually requires.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

THis is a result of your needing to install the latest C++ runtime for your operating system. You can get these right off the microsoft site and a search for C++ runtime download install will take you there almost instantly.

So Paul, are you saying these files were uninstalled with FSX?

If so, why were they not reinstalled with FSX?

Trancer,

There are some files that do not get removed when you uninstall FSX and if they were the cause of your problems with your old install, they will still cause problems with your new install.

The first thing to do is go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and delete the FSX.cfg.

To see this file you may first need to go to the Control Panel, then Folder Options and add a check to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

While you are there remove the check from "hide extensions for known file types".

For future reference, bookmark this- http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

It's likely one of your add-ons which needs the C++ and crashes FSX because it's not there. As to why it's not there, I have no idea. It's unlikely the FSX installer removed it since the runtimes are separate items in the control panel Programs list.

My impression is you were having one ore more problems before you started the installer dance, so no predicting what causes all this in the first place. You might have event viewer log going back to before the install dance which would give you a clue or you could try a system restore to before your FSX went bad.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

While I don't know the answer to the problem, just want to give kudos to advanced users who choose to be generous with their time and help out a guy like Trancer. This is a pretty awesome forum.
Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

pvarn and stringbean, thank you guys very much for taking the time to read and write a reply to my post and also for the info and suggestions you provided. I really appreciate that. I have actually tried for several days to search the net to find info on the problems I was having but none of the stuff I found was of any help. Most of the stuff I found about the black screen in fsx said it was related to graphics card issues and suggestions of using window mode....Another thing I kept coming across was the "UIAutomationCore.dll" fix, which apparently was no fix for a lot of people. My problem is that I'm not really that good with computers (like editing files and stuff like that), and like I mentioned in my post I'd never had any major problems with fsx prior to this.

One thing, I was assuming the C++ is something that gets automatically downloaded with Windows updates since I see it listed in the update history list. I don't really know much about this stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to try and start working on the stuff you guys suggested and see if I can figure things out. Thank you again for the replies. God bless.

No success. Downloaded the C++ and tried the UIautomation but no success and the game crashed within 2 minutes. I just don't understand why this happened all of a sudden after so many years. Last time I added a plane was 2 months ago. Other than that, I never changed anything. This is really frustrating.

No success. Downloaded the C++ and tried the UIautomation but no success...

That was predictable.

The uiautomationcore.dll fix addresses a very specific FSX crash, one that happens when clicking on menu items.

...the game crashed within 2 minutes.

Any faulting module listed in the crash report?

Did you try a new FSX.cfg as I suggested in post #3?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Thanks again for the reply, Bean. Well, I was having the "fatal error.../crash" problem occasionally after switching planes.

I read an old post yesterday by someone -I think on this site- suggesting to delete the fsx.cfg and starting a new game and letting it "build" another one -to be honest I don't understand all this stuff but tried that but same problem. I ended up uninstalling the game again out of frustration. I think whatever is causing this has nothing to do with the game itself because like I said the game had been working ok for years.

I want to attempt another reinstall sometime later but I want to make sure I have nothing related to fsx left on my HD. As far as I know, I am/have been doing the uninstall. procedure correctly. I don't see anything related to fsx in the AppData\...and I always use CCleaner to clean the registry, but then I can't say I'm expert at this.

As for the faulting module, it's the same one in my original post (C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll) and checking previous reports it seems to be the same one.

I'm totally clueless as to what to do next because I think I've done everything within my limited knowledge and using info and suggestions on different forums to try to fix the problem.

This is the best reinstall guide- http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

FTR, rarely is there a problem with the faulting module.

The module faults because it cannot do it's job, usually because it either cannot get data it needs or that data is bad.

If you have a repeatable crash then it points to a bad addon.

Part of the troubleshooting process is finding a repeatable, predictable crash.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Sounds like your fsx was 'fine' before (except for crashes, maybe due to uiautomationcore.dll).

Suddenly it stopped working. Now after a fresh install (fsx should be ok now) it still does not work.

Sounds to of like the problem now, and the problem before, are not because of fsx itself. But because of something else on the pc.

I can't narrow it down further. It could be something in windows, a driver, etc.

I did notice something in the beginning of the thread. The error is msvcr80.dll.

Msvcr80.dll is part of this 2005 package, not the most recent version:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

It should be installed automatically as you said, but if it is damaged, windows will not automatically notice and re-install it.

Installing manually may help.

If you try this, make sure you get the one for your Windows version (the ones this download is for are mentioned at that page). And select the language version of your windows version. Then download and install.

Hope you find a solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the link, Bean. I was on that site right after the problem started and was having problems with reinstalling fsx. I didn't understand some of the instructions there but I was pretty sure I had no fsx files left on my hd. I had done many uninstall/reinstall in the past (w/o knowing anything about how to properly do it) without a problem until after all this started. Well, I am now able to install the game but then the crash thing is the main problem. But I notice however that the installation seems to take much longer than usual.

I'm not sure if an add-on plane is actually causing the problem. The last add-on plane I installed was around 2 months ago and the crash/fatal error frequency was about the same as before (I'd say not more than 25% of the time following plane switching). The other thing, all the crashes and problems (like freezing and black screen) continue to happen even w/o the addon planes.

Thanks for the reply, il88pp. Yeah I was ok with fsx the way it was (running fine 75% of the time or even 100% of the time if I didn't switch planes) but I guess it's Murphy's law at play here (anything that can go wrong will go wrong).

Yeah I suspect something else is causing this but I have no clue what. I'm going to try another reinstall and see what happens. If the problem persists then I'm out of options. Will probably consider formatting or something. Or just forget about fsx and try the other ones.

Well, just finished another reinstall and black screen as soon as I touch the settings and I'm getting the same thing in the event viewer report. And now there's no cfg file anywhere.

Not sure it will do anything now, because when you reinstall fsx you already get a fresh fsx.cfg file anyway. But good to know for future reference: the fsx.cfg is a 'hidden' file. Some files are hidden from the user, by Windows, as they should only be touched when you know what you are doing.

Google: how to show hidden files win7

(or win8 if you have that)

And follow those steps. Then you'll find your fsx.cfg easily.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How to show hidden files in Windows 7:

Control Panel->Folder Options-> View tab

Under Hidden files and folders check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

Below that Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

FSX file locations:

fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}

Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}

Logbook.BIN and Flight Plan files

{C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}

scenery.cfg

{C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

As for the faulting module, it's the same one in my original post (C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll) and checking previous reports it seems to be the same one.

I'm totally clueless as to what to do next because I think I've done everything within my limited knowledge and using info and suggestions on different forums to try to fix the problem.

As you have stated, the problem seems to lie with the MSVCR80.dll. You can use a built-in tool supplied with Windows to check for and replace corrupt .dll files. See the following links for more info and how to use it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228?wa=wsignin1.0 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb?wa=wsignin1.0

Run the tool before doing anything else - IMPORTANT the tool can take a while to carryout the task and at times may seem as if its not running/doing anything - DO NOt close the window it is running in just let it run its course until you get one of the messages detailed in the links. It is also advisable not to run other tasks whilst the tool is running.

By running the tool you will have (hopefully) sorted out the problem and can then look at re-installing FSX using the guide highlighted by StingBean

Regards

Brian

"The other thing, all the crashes and problems (like freezing and black screen) continue to happen even w/o the addon planes."

If these are your remaining problems, then they need to be addressed specifically.

Be aware these things may no be real "crashes" as the computer defines them.

Real crashes in FS almost always has a dialog box associated with it of a faulting module in the event viewer. Lacking a faulting model report:

Black screen for some people can be a very complex problem and can be caused by:

1) Add-ons of various kinds. If you do searches for black screen and add-on you will see there are several known to do this. Probably not caused by aircraft or scenery. Doesn't mean they cannot be.

2) Task switching with Operating Systems later than Vista and especially 64 bit is not as easy as most people are used to. FS was not designed for these operating systems. There are various work-arounds. Most people avoid full screen mode as one of the work-arounds. There are others.

-Pv-

Thank you il88pp, fxsttcb, longbreak and pvarn for the replies and the help. I know where to find the fsx.cfg file but what I meant when I said " there's no cfg file anywhere" is that when I looked where it's supposed to be there was no cfg file. However, it's there now (after I installed the Acceleration pack and ran the game) and I'm not sure if that has something to do with it but all I care about it's there now.

A few new things : Deleted all the C++ redistributables (5,8,10,13) and reinstalled them and tried running fsx. First, I got a message that said " MS flight simulator cannot run because it couldn't find fsx.cfg". But then the game started anyway and it actually ran for several minutes with no black screen but then I got a CTD. I can't remember the exact order of things but I also got a message that said something like "fsx can't run during a remote desktop session"! -First time I got this message was about 2 weeks ago. I have no idea what this means but a couple of weeks ago -around the same time the problems with fsx started- I was on the phone with HP to try and fix a problem I was having with an HP printer and the agent tried to fix the problem by remotely controlling my PC (windows remote assistance).

Checked the event viewer and this time the error is "weather.dll" instead of the "msvcr80.dll" error. So, something is different now.

I don't know why but I thought I'd log out and switch users (I'm the only user on this PC). Also, I checked in the "system configuration" and changed the Startup Selection to "Normal Startup" instead of "Selective Startup". Then I started FSX again. 5-10 minutes into flight and no crashes, freezes or black screens. Then, the real test- clicked on "settings" and changed a few things. No crash. Then back to flight. No crash. Then switched planes (no addon planes installed). No crash. Spent about 1 1/4 hours flying and switching planes and no crashes :D Then exited fsx and didn't get "fatal error..." like I used to get on exit in the past. Now, is the problem completely gone? I don't know - I'm still worried about the "weather.dll" error- but I sure hope so, but if it isn't, this is still a huge improvement. I'll be testing the game again to see and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thank you all again for your help and the links you provided.

One last thing, I ran the "sfc /scannow" a couple of days back and there were no missing or corrupted files.

The "weather.dll" issue could be caused by a corrupted .WX file - something that happened to me about 9 months ago. A search on the internet threw up all sorts of possibilities including this fix which was successful for me.

Each flight you save will have an .WX entry associated with it and any one of them - not just the 'current' or 'last saved flight' can be corrupted and cause the error.

The default location that these files are saved to is C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files. To test if this the cause simply remove (save to another folder if you like) all .WX files from your Flight Simulator X Files folder, start FSX and load a new free flight and then save it. Close and restart FSX and see if you get the error again.

Another file which can become corrupted is the "wxstationlist.bin", located in the same folder as your FSX.CFG file, and usually occurs when real time weather downloads are interrupted. If the first fix doesn't work, try removing (save to another folder if you like) the "wxstationlist.bin" file. FSX should create a new default.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the info, longbreak. I ran fsx twice today for about 1 hr each time and all seems to be well. Very happy so far. No crashes or error messages, but if I get the "weather.dll" error I'll try the things you mentioned. I hope my problems are over with fsx but I know with PCs things can wrong any time.

Couple of questions if any one feels like answering :

I have my addon planes in my "downloads" and I want to put them back in fsx and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid future problems. I read something about adding them one at a time and running the game after each addition to see if it causes any problems.

The other thing, I have Logitech joystick and when I tried to launch it today I got "The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect". I did a little bit of searching and it seems this is something that has to do with "C++ redistributable". So I'm not sure what happened here as I have C++ 5,8,10,13 freshly installed. The joystick still functions but not fully and I can't customize the buttons because the app won't open.

In answer to your first Q - most people will say add them one at a time and then test. However, once you have got them installed and with no apparent problems you could make a backup of the folder. You can then simply copy and paste known good folders back if you have another problem requiring a re-install of FSX.

The procedure I use when I install downloads is to install/unzip into a temp folder (even if it comes with an installer) so that I can see what files are being put where, for example any effects or gauges that may be included, and to provide a reference point for resolving issues later on. I then copy the files into the required folders - I often rename the simobject folder to something more meaningful and thus easier to find if the addon causes problems (e.g. provided folder name may be F16 Viper, I would change it to say F16 Authors Name).

It should be noted that I also have a permanent backup of the most commonly updated FSX folders ( e.g. Simobjects, Effects, Gauges) and do a quick backup of the folders that will have files added to them during the install of the addon. If a problem is encountered after the addon is installed you can either use the temp folder as a reference point for removing said files or you can simply copy the complete backup folders back into FSX overwriting the current folders.

I handle Scenery addons in the same way - however, my scenery addons are kept outside of FSX and I use the Scenery Config Editor tool available on this site to enable the new area.

WRT Q2: - Iassume by app you mean the software drivers/config app provided with the stick. I use a Logitech Extreme Pro 3 and like you, found that with the software provide installed, I was unable to configure the stick fully in Windows (OS is Win 7 64 bit) or FSX. Search the web for a solution and found a thread in a driving game forum that there was no need to have the drivers/app installed as Windows would use the default MS driver -so tried it without the software installed and it worked fine - have been using the stick for the last 18 months without the software with no problems.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Longbreak. I'm guilty of one thing when it comes to computers. I have never backed up anything even though I've owned PCs for a long time. I have all my add-on planes in my documents or downloads and what I've done in the past is just copy and paste a plane into "simobjects" and copy whatever folders that come with it into fsx effects, gauges.... That has worked pretty well for me but after the recent problem with fsx I'm wondering if I was doing things properly.

I have the same joystick you have and I know it works without software but the thing is if I don't open the program first (before I start FSX) some of the buttons won't work and some will work in reverse (will raise the flaps instead of lowering them). It's not really a big problem but what makes me mad is why things decide to stop functioning all of a sudden for no reason (just like fsx did). The joystick worked just fine until 2 days ago, right after I got fsx fixed.

Is there a way to back up fsx just in case things go crazy again?

Thanks.

I have a external HDD for backing up not just FSX files but stuff in general and I use TWO methods of backing up - one is automatically done by using the software that came with the HDD and the second is manually. These files that I choose to be backed up automatically can easily be backed up manually.

First thing I did after doing the initial full FSX install (I have the 'Gold' edition) was to copy and paste the complete contents of the FSX folder into TWO new folders created outside FSX - one is called FSX Initial Backup ( being the date of the backup e.g. 220312), the other is called FSX Backup. The first folder was then manually moved off to the external HDD. The second folder is the day to day folder that I save changes made to FSX when adding addons (as mentioned in my earlier post). I also make a manual backup of this folder to the HDD every couple of months or so, depending on how much new stuff I add to FSX.

I use the automated backup to regularly save FSX files found in C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files.

I also do regular manual backups to the external HDD of my Addon Scenery which, as I stated before, is kept outside of the FSX altogether.

The backups can be used to restore FSX to a good working copy using one of the following methods:

1. Copying the contents of the FSX Backup into the broken FSX folder. I have used this method successfully (only had to do so once since I initially installed FSX back in Jul 2011 - although as stated above I had to uninstall and reinstall some payware addons).

Also to ensure that I replaced everything and didn't leave behind any possible corrupted files in the broken FSX install I did it folder by folder deleting the contents a folder before copying/pasting the files from backup copy.

2. Copying the contents of the FSX Initial Backup folder into the broken FSX install.. This will obviously give you the equivalent of a totally clean install with no addons (never used this method myself)

3. The backups of the C: drive areas obviously can be used to replace any broken files within those areas

WRT the joystick problem - keyboard and joystick button settings are stored in the standard.xml file which can be found in C:\Users\

Regards

Brian

Thank you so much Longbreak for all the details. I appreciate that. I really need to learn how to do back ups and I need to get into the habit of backing things up. I sure as hell don't want to go through another episode of FSX failure. It's just that I'm scared because I've never done backups and always worry about screwing things up.

As for the joystick, I looked under C:\....\controls, and I saw "standard" there but didn't change anything. I might do that later because I'm always worried about screwing things up and then not knowing how to fix them. The joystick thing doesn't bother me much but I think I'll eventually try fixing it. I think the most important thing now is to try to back up FSX.

Thanks again for your help.

WRT the joystick problem - keyboard and joystick button settings are stored in the standard.xml file which can be found in C:\Users\

Wow This just solved the problem I had with FSX not saving my new rudder assignment ( Rudder to Y rotation )

after renaming it the new file size changed... Thank You

I was beginning to think My Saitek X52 was causing FSX to Crash to Desktop

Because My z rotation is defective and FSX would always default back to it everytime

I7 4770 3.40 8 gig 64 windows 8.1

REX GEX Qw757 FSXgold

Archived