MSI Afterburner

Just what will the MSI Afterburner do for my performance?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Why would I want to do that? I was using NickN's suggestions and it say's something about eliminating stutters. I see it also keeps check on the Temp. I am always looking to improve my knowledge as well as my build, though what I have now gives me great results. I don't even overclock the cpu. (don't now how anyway) Been told better off not to.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Well its upto user choice. If one feels that he can get better performance off his graphic card while the temperature is under normal ranges, it will somewhat beneficial.

If you're already getting satisfactory performance, I suggest you better don't change any settings.

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

I rebooted with afterburner running and when the computer came back on all I got where three black screens (I have a triple monitor set up) Did that afterburner have something to do with that? Took me two hours to get into safe mode and do a system restore to fix it. What a bumber! Now I am afraid to try it again though it seemed to help with then stutters

Mike G.

GPUz Will monitor your graphics card(sensor tab) and log it if you want. Very useful to tell if your Video card is being pushed near it's limit.

Any continuous, GPU "load", less than 90%, when FSX is pushed hard, should be fine.

I don't recommend a "Shut Down" or "Restart" of Windows with any app running.

It may work fine 100 times, but....that asks for trouble...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Thank you. My you know what got real tight around midnight. My worry now is what if I had a power outage or forgot to close the afterburner before restarting. It did seem to help the stutters but could be me. Wondering if it's worth the risk. Then again I am a risk taker I guess other wise I wouldn't be experimenting! By accident I installed something and when I went to uninstall it, it said to restart and the afterburning was running and wham! Three black screens! Jeepers creepers. Then, after two hours finding safe mode I had to remember how to set up three screens again and fix the FSX resolution.

Mike G.

Just running Afterburner itself will not give you anything more than the card at defaults.

Without an overclock it is simply a monitor, but, it does allow you to apply a decent overclock. Once the overclock is verified stable, it can be set to "Apply overclocking at system start up" or, saved as a profile, and invoked on demand. Once the overclock is applied, it's transparent, and Afterburner can be closed...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

Just running Afterburner itself will not give you anything more than the card at defaults.

Without an overclock it is simply a monitor, but, it does allow you to apply a decent overclock. Once the overclock is verified stable, it can be set to "Apply overclocking at system start up" or, saved as a profile, and invoked on demand. Once the overclock is applied, it's transparent, and Afterburner can be closed...Don

May I ask, do you use it?

Mike G.

I use it as a monitor. I use EVGA PrecisionX 16 to OC my GTX 970.

Both work equally well, so, it really doesn't matter to the card...Don

Thanks, I want to try it again but if somethig happens I found the F8 key doesn't get me to safe mode with the Asus Maximus. I stumbled on it be accident last night. Been reading the F5 ore Tab then F8. In case something happens again. I was running Afterbuurner all day without incident yesterday. Do you have any more advice for me on this subject?

Mike G.

What might a good temperature reading be say foor my GTX 770? Iwas looking on line but all I saw was like the top end at 98*.

Mike G.

Normal flying: 60s are ideal, 70s are OK, lower 80s = marginal, add cooling at 85...Don

Most informative. Thank you!

Mike G.

Archived