FSX Steam Edition

jagabom

An 8 year old program with a few tweaks to make it run better on modern PC's.

And it does seem to run better too, surprisingly.

And there is the possibility of updates and development through Steam by Dovetail Games which of course was very lacking in FSX boxed version.

If we're lucky, all the great addons that don't work in the Steam edition, will, within the next few years.

Meh. Happy for those who got it and are enjoying it, but I'm staying away. Lol.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I've been using FS9 since it came out. I wanted to go to FSX, but couldn't afford to till FSX-SE hit for $5.00. THAT I could afford. Now I just have to fine tune it and it'll be gtg. I like it. it's clearer, and better GFX, just my opinions, of course!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

From DTG themselves:

The main reason you would even consider picking up FSX: Steam Edition if you already have a significant FSX-O[riginal] setup is the implementation of Steam for multiplayer purposes.

That's the big single thing we've done is replaced GameSpy with Steam.

Yes, there have been a few tweaks made that may improve the performance of FSX for some users, but if you already have the simulator we're making no secret about the fact that at this point, what we're offering to you is limited.

The people we're hoping to attract first and foremost are those to whom FSX will be a brand new experience, rather than those who have already invested a great deal of time and energy into the hobby.

We know this will be a little disappointing to those who had hoped for a revolutionary rebirth of the simulator, but we've got a way to go before we can talk about our future plans. At the moment we're focusing on introducing FSX to a new generation of flight simulation fans.

Special?

Negatives:

No SDK.

Online requirement. Steam/DTG claim a fix for that is WIP.

At this point, many addon installers don't work.

That's not really a Steam/DTG problem. The Developers need to create FSXSE installers.

Positives:

Already tweaked a tad, for performance. Not much if you already have a top shelf 'puter.

Multiplayer fixed.

Continuous improvements are a real possibility. Now that's special! ...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

From DTG themselves:

Special?

Negatives:

No SDK.

Online requirement. Steam/DTG claim a fix for that is WIP.

At this point, many addon installers don't work.

That's not really a Steam/DTG problem. The Developers need to create FSXSE installers.

Positives:

Already tweaked a tad, for performance. Not much if you already have a top shelf 'puter.

Multiplayer fixed.

Continuous improvements are a real possibility. Now that's special! ...Don

In all honesty even if performed worse than FSX, I'd still use it for it's stability. Like you said at 4.3ghz I'm not going to be missing much else. As much as the UIAutomation bug has a quite useful fix, it's only a bandaid with it's biggest drawback being that it effects other programs. The same goes for OOMs even that I'd give up a little performance, nothing worse than a long haul, and your destination doesn't load up properly or causes a CTD.

Archived