Blurries

andyjohnston

After a reinstall of FSX, I've come across something which I know has been a problem for many, but I have been fortunate enough to avoid it...until now. The dreaded blurred ground textures, which make the whole sim virtually unusable.

I've ben looking at the solutions around the web, can anyone make any recommendations?

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Use trilinear filtering.

The higher your frame rate limiter, the more detail gets removed to try and keep your frame rate up if your graphics settings are too high and your CPU is struggling.

Paste a screenshot of your Scenery tab settings. Blurry pixels at long distance is normal. if this wasn't the case, your sim would grind to a halt trying to render too much detail.

I realize your don't like FSX much.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?286580-So-Disappointed

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

No, I love it! Been using FlightSim since version 5.1. I got a new system and running FSX on it has been a bit of a headache. I want to be able to keep doing the simmings I've loved for 15+ years.

My frames are set to 20 at the moment.

Here are my scenery settings.

settings.jpg

You didn't mention the results of changing the filter.

Looks like you are using low settings to keep your frames up. You will get an increase in frames by turning shadows off. If you hold your mouse over the sliders, the lower left mouseover will provide hints which settings cost you more.

A 3.5GHz CPU is right on the borderline between a slow and medium machine, so you do have to be somewhat careful with your settings. However, I have higher settings than you do on my 3.5 and I've got the frame rate limiter set to 30 and getting 30 much of the time, so there may be other loads on your machine not visible to us and in the other thread where you complained bitterly about performance.

A low frame rate limiter will decrease detail if your CPU cannot keep up. A higher frame rate limiter will let you see more detail until your CPU crawls then you get stutters.

Your low graphics settings are reducing detail. Less than trilinear filter does a poor job of blending scenery areas into the distance. Higher than 2x AA will slow down your graphics card. It's best to disable AA on FSX and in your graphics controller, set to ignore application and set 2X or 4X if you have a very fast card.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

The filter is not the only setting affecting scenery detail as I already mentioned above.

So, you change ONE thing and you still don't like how it looks. Well, your job is not done then.

Take a screenshot of when it looks WORST to you during daylight. Paste it.

Also paste your FSX.CFG file.

If your G-Card is oneG or more VRAM, make sure you have applied the HIGHMEMFIX.

Every time your sim crashes, go to the Event Viewer as detailed in the Crashes sticky at the top and find out what the REAL reason is.

"No difference I can see, unfortunately. And the program crashes constantly. Do you think reinstalling it might help? "

Not if you repeat the causes of your current problems. If your hardware or drivers are at fault, won't fix that either.

If your computer cannot keep up with your flight, you will get temporary visual artifacts which will correct themselves given more time.

These are usually caused by FS sending more data to your card than it can process.

-Pv-

You know, I never thought to check the event viewer. I just thought the crashes were te way it was and there wasn't much I could do. Turns out the issue is with uiautomationcore.dll and a fix is available. So I applied it, and hopefully that will help. Thanks!

I also did a fresh install of FSX, and will apply a few of the things you suggested and post back tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

The typical problem with the automationcore is crashes happen randomly over a long flight but rarely if ever in the first few minutes. Glad you found that.

" I just thought the crashes were te way it was and there wasn't much I could do"

There are still some crashes which may happen when exiting the sim which are harmless. Usually, there is nothing you can do about out them, but hey, you had already decided to leave anyway. Every crash which occurs WHILE you are in the sim or UI has a solution.

-Pv-

andyjohnston,

wel done!

But reinstalling fsx all the time is not necessary at all.

If the crashes were caused by the missing uiautomationcore file, with that installed you're good to go.

I had the advantage of already having used fsx for a few years, so I knew about that one in advance. This install (now win7) I installed the file right away.

That was in december 2013. This install has been up and running for over a year. In that time the \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ folder has grown from 16.6 to 27.5GB. Apart from that I also installed many extra utilities for fsx. The SDK, ADE, Plan-G, FSrealWX, FSXWX, Editvoicepack, AIcarriers, the WOAI installer, TTools, AI Boat Traffic Compiler, AI Flight Planner, AIFP3, Flusifix, Audacity, Snapper, ACA, and probably a few more.

And yes, occasionally an addon aircraft or something wouldn't work, but either I fixed it, or I discarded the aircraft.

Occasionally there would be a crash. Never once did that make me think about reinstalling fsx.

Crashes are almost never a sign that the fsx program itself is damaged. Sometimes it means you have some weird settings in your fsx graphics menu. It usually means the computer is not feeling it's happy self. A missing driver, or something like that uiautomationcore thing.

And, if the cause is something like a driver, reinstalling fsx will not fix anything anyway. It's better to just try and locate the actual cause, and fix that. Event viewer will help with that. You learn so much more that way, and won't make the same mistake in setting things up again.

But again, well done. If the uiautomationcore is causing crashes, you have a crash every flight. I'm sure you'll notice a happy change!

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get back to this until now, I still hope there is something I can do, and I appreciate your assistance!

Here is my CFG:

[sOUND]

AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

SOUND=1

SOUND_QUALITY=2

SOUND_LOD=0

UISound=1

AmbientUI=0

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64

NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64

InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0

InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0

InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoBrakesEnable=True

InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True

InfoPauseEnable=True

InfoSlewEnable=True

InfoStallEnable=True

InfoOverspeedEnable=True

BLOOM_EFFECTS=1

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20

WideViewAspect=False

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

ProcSpeed=8338

PerfBucket=7

Maximized=1

Location=320,114,1360,893,\\.\DISPLAY1

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

[PANELS]

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

DEFAULT_VIEW=1

QUICKTIPS=0

PANEL_OPACITY=100

PANEL_MASKING=1

PANEL_STRETCHING=1

UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0

[Weather]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

MinGustTime=10

MaxGustTime=500

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MinVarTime=5

MaxVarTime=50

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com

WeatherServerPort=80

WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0

AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=1

DisableTurbulence=0

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.0]

Mode=1680x1050x32

TriLinear=1

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

JOYSTICKS=1

KBDAIL=100

KBDELEV=100

KBDRUD=100

[TextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

GForce=1,3

FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

GForce=2,3

FuelPercentage=2,4

[slewTextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

[slewTextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

[slewTextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

[DynamicHeadMovement]

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000

LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000

RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000

YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000

MaxHeadAngle=5.000000

MaxHeadOffset=0.300000

HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]

VirtualCopilotActive=0

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693428480

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

[Trusted]

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.lzozhioluactzqrkzwwwbcbwuzcuclkarahklwae=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\AEROPROYECTO_E110\panel\dsd_xml_sound3.GAU.qbqniwkeooiethwnbciaahcqkhrzuhrooioebqen=0

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\BoeingGeneric.DLL.arwontzikhuuqkznineatwhzukqwrutrbuczcicq=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Magnetic_Compass.DLL.llquennitqekhteaqezzhcbiectioctezqnrakwk=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna.DLL.outzonuurbtznholliztwacokrcerrqietaitnkw=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna172.DLL.eqoalzuaotzbacoiciteizacnknbauqaurcwnzqn=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182s.DLL.rkuzllqhbtauoqzieuruozrtwknrcnnzzqbrwhnl=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaWAlpha.DLL.buenwninqrteirhizlotzqheuzoalatuoobwzieo=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bell_206B.DLL.nukqhlctlzbienlunhqihuobucthaowntwlkiuce=2

C:\MSFS\MicroSoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\737-400.DLL.qciiorbrlakuerhwauucozwrqtwcwtabqtouiznc=2

[uSERINTERFACE]

PageID=6

OpenATCOnCreate=0

SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0

PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0

PROMPT_ON_EXIT=0

SITUATION=c:\users\owner\documents\flight simulator x files\Previous Flight.FLT

Map_Orientation=2

ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1

SelectAircraftManufacturer=All

SelectAircraftPublisher=All

SelectAircraftType=All

DisplayFuelAsWeight=0

[ATC]

ShowATCText=1

COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF

COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6

COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B

COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00

COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840

AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0

UsePilotVoice=1

PilotVoice=0

[PointOfInterestSystem]

CycleSetting=0

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=100

GADensity=100

FreewayDensity=47

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=40

LeisureBoatsDensity=40

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=3

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=3.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=70

MESH_RESOLUTION=19

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=24

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

[AContain]

ShowLabels=1

ShowUserLabel=0

ShowLabelManufacturer=1

ShowLabelModel=1

ShowLabelTailNumber=0

ShowLabelDistance=1

ShowLabelAltitude=1

ShowLabelAirline=0

ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0

ShowLabelFlightPlan=0

ShowLabelContainerId=0

ShowLabelAirspeed=0

ShowLabelHeading=0

LabelDelay=1000

LabelColor=FFFF0000

[iNTERNATIONAL]

ASLAT=2

ASLON=1

MEASURE=0

[REALISM]

PFactor=0.000000

Torque=0.000000

GyroEffect=0.000000

CrashTolerance=0.000000

General=0.000000

UnlimitedFuel=False

TrueAirspeed=False

AutoCoord=True

RealMixture=False

StressDamage=True

GEffect=False

ManualLights=True

GyroDrift=False

CrashWithDyn=False

CrashDetection=True

AutoTrim=False

[sIM]

SYSCLOCK=0

[sTARTUP]

DEMO=0

SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0

STARTUP_DEMO=

LoadWindow=1

[FACILITIES]

COUNTRY=

STATE=

CITY=

GTL_BUTTON=4096

[Misc]

Com_Rate=7

[FlightPlanMap]

LineWidth=2

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=1

SHOW_APPROACHES=1

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=1

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

show_waypoints=1

show_airways=1

show_markers=1

show_volume_boundaries=1

show_ac_twr=1

[MAPVIEW_MAP]

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=1

SHOW_APPROACHES=1

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=1

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

show_flight_history=1

[MULTIPLAYER]

condAccoutPassword=0

The proof of your theory is to try it and fly in a WORSE CASE setup with the frame rate display off:

1) No Real Time weather

2) Load up a plane with the most complex external view (high detail skin in a high polygon 3D model)

3) Locate the plane at one of the "enhanced" airports (LAX, etc)

4) In the weather tab, set the stormy theme and in the options weather tab, set changes over time to none.

Fly around the airport at low altitude for a while and watch for stutters. If you don't get any, then OK.

"harder on the system?"

The only limit on how far you can go is if you get stutters or not.

We still need to see a daytime screenshot of your "blurries" to know we are not chasing a rabbit.

-Pv-

Here's what the graphics tab looks like on my 3.5 GHz machine with a 30 frame lock:

FSX_35_Gsettings.jpg

There are other factors like my AI settings and CFG tweaks which you cannot see here.

-Pv-

Tags: 3.5 GHz AMD Athelon 4 cores graphics options 30 frame lock

I'm having internet issues at the moment, but once they clear up I'm going to resume investigating this issue. I appreciate the help offered so far, and hope for more potential solutions.

Hi andyjohnston,

In your situation (Blurries), I would let fsx create a fresh fsx.cfg file. That usually fixes it. Only when that does not help would I start looking for other causes, such as the videocard settings/driver.

Here's a procedure to do that, that can be easily undone.

First, create a folder on the desktop, name it -fixing config 150205-

(150205 is todays date, by using this notation files/folders will be organised nicely in folders when there arre several with the same name.)

Simply removing the fsx.cfg would reset all your control keyboard assignments too, we are going to prevent that. Here goes.

--Before all else--- Close FSX. It should not be runnong while you do this.

--First---- Save your control settings.

go to folder C:\\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

there you find the file = Standard.xml

COPY that file to the folder on the desktop.

--Second---- Remove the fsx.cfg file from it's current location and save it as a backup in case something doesn't work as expected.

go to folder C:\\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

find file fsx.cfg

MOVE that file to the folder on the desktop.

That way you have a backup, and there is no more fsx.cfg in C:\\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Close the Appdata folder explorer window.

--Third---- Now start FSX.

While starting, FSX will create a new, fresh, fsx.cfg file automatically in folder: C:\\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Starting FSX wil also replace the Standard.xml file with a fresh one.

--Fourth---- Accept keymapping and Addons.

While FSX is starting you get a message popup: "accept the default key mapping now?" click yes to that.

While FSX is starting you will also get a message for some of your addons, asking to run and trust them. If you had no issues before you can click ok to those too. You had them running and trusted before, it's just that when you installed them, you accepted them one at a time. That was stored in the fsx.cfg file. Now there is a new fsx.cfg file, so you do it again. That's all.

Now FSX has started and you see the menu. Do not do any setting up or flying yet.

Close FSX again.

--Fifth---- Restore your old keyboard assignments.

Now, with fsx closed, Open the folder on the desktop.

Copy the Standard.xml file you saved, and paste it in C:\\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls, replacing the file that is in there.

Close the Appdata folder.

Start FSX.

Now you have a new fsx.cfg with the old controls.

I expect the blurries will be gone then. Happy flights!

If there are problems, you still have the old fsx.cfg file in the folder on the desktop, so you could go back to using that one easily. Just COPY that fsx.cfg to C:\\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

Of course it could turn out you liked the previous fsx.cfg better.

(I heard that, very rarely, FSX won't create a fresh fsx.cfg file, that's the reason for a backup, but I foresee no problem)

Enjoy,

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't have to move your original fsx.cfg or Standard.xml. Simply re-name them.

Before I make changes, I name my existing fsx.cfg to fsx-todays date.cfg / fsx 2-6-15.cfg

Standard.xml Standard 2-6-15.XML

Either can be easily restored by changing back to their original file names...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Thanks for being patient while I figured things out.

When I read that it might be as easy recreating the CFG file, I was eager to try it out. But it didn't help things. I've attached a screenshot showing how the ground textures look, about 40 miles north of NYC. It was quite weird, when I pressed V I got a message that said it was unable to capture the screenshot. Had to use PrintSceen, the old fashioned way.

blurries.jpg

Ow, that looks bad even on my 2" phone!

What you say about the screenshot not working is some parts of the image may be falling outside the display area. As if the resolution is wrong, or as if it is set up for two displays and part of the image is on the nonexistant second one. (stuck in old setting). Make sure the resolution in the videocard menu is set to the 'native resolution' of the display. And make sure it is set up for your one display only in the videocard menu.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, it was changed when I recreated the cfg. Now that I realize that, it can be fixed, the textures are what really bother me. It's really taking away from my love of flightsimming which I've been doing for going on 20 years.

[Do the Index first (sorry, t9, don't want to rewrite).]

I meant the settings in your nvidia menu. So not those in fsx.

In the nvidia menu set the resolution and the correct number of displays. (or amd menu if you have an amd card.)

maybe install the latest graphics card driver and choose 'advanced install - clean installation' (nvidia driver has that option, it resets the default settings.)

with a clean cfg the issue is certainly not caused by fsx.

If you are using nvidia inspector, wrong settings there can also cause this. Try default settings there (or remove it) to test.

Oh, and go into Windows controll panel, System and security, and rebuild the windows experience index. Takes one minute.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived